Ashley Wagner's blog for espnW.com

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

2. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Thanks, nicely written blog. I look forward to seeing more.

3. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Enjoyable read. Thanks for posting. Ashley seems to have developed a great balance in her life. I remember witnessing her disappointment at Nationals in 2010 and reading comments from those writing her off. I have been rooting for Ashley for the last several years, and my admiration has only increased. What a great example she sets of not giving up when the going gets rough and the obstacles pile up.

It's a joy to see Ashley shine, and to see her maintaining a steadiness and a steely determination. Her struggles show that in order to win, it sometimes takes losing. It takes being down before understanding the kind of transformative change that may be necessary to lift yourself up and to achieve a different outcome.

The coolest thing of all is that Ashley understands this is what she wants to do, and that she is lucky to be doing what she truly loves. So great to see her reap the fruits of her hard work. Having worked so hard, Ashley now seems to expect to win, but she's not dismayed if everything doesn't go her way in every competition. It seems that she now just tries to learn from setbacks in a program or in the marks, while summoning even more strength and determination to persevere.

4. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

The way I look at it is, if she fails in competition, she has at least put it all out there, and will have no regrets.

5. aftershocks

^^ Right, that's what she said in the blog: "I want to work as hard as I can so the next time I won't leave anything behind, and have no regrets." In other words, she knows now she is doing everything she possibly can and will have no regrets no matter what the outcome.

Looking at Ashley's reactions at 2012 Nationals, it just seemed to me she wasn't surprised to win, because she knew she had put in all the hard work. She wasn't surprised to win at 4CCs either. At Worlds, she knew she had skated well enough to have reached the podium. The fact that she didn't reach the podium but came in fourth was still a victory. Ashley also understands there is now more pressure on her after last season, but she is even more determined to excel. She's not worried about winning or losing, and she's left all regrets behind.

6. RD

RD Well-Known Member

I still remember her declaring prematurely that the '12 title was hers to lose...I loved that kind of confidence oozing out of her since that's sorely been lacking in our ladies. Crazy thing is she turned out to be right! Nobody else brought it, other than perhaps Zawadzki in the SP. It really WAS Wagner's title to lose after all since if she didn't win, she'd have only herself to blame since her competition was rather lackluster.

I'm curious to see what this season holds for her. Will this be the year that the US women get back on the World podium? Is she the only one who can potentially achieve that?

7. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

I was perturbed at Ashley because I thought surely she had jinxed herself with those claims and I like her, wanted her to win. She is probably the only person to make those claims and actually win. Well I think Katarina Witt said something like that in 1988 but it's rare. She is lucky that Alissa was not performing like in 2011. What if Alissa performed like 2011 vs. 2012 Ashley? Who would have won? We can compare scores but the scoring might have been different if they competed those programs head-to-head.

8. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

@USFigureSkating tweeted these comments by Ashley Wagner from her pre-Skate America teleconference call this afternoon:

9. Boston2016

Boston2016 Active Member

10. aftershocks

11. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

12. aftershocks

The screen still turns blue for me a few seconds after the link appears. :confused:

13. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

I LOVE confidence in an athlete, ie Pete Sampras, Roger Federer, Tom Watson, Cal Ripken, ...strong quiet confidence. Cockiness, otoh....to me, is a demonstration of insecurity or uncertainty, esp before an event takes place. Wagner (and team perhaps ) assessed the fall season results for the senior ladies and made a public statement prior to US Nationals of what she was no doubt privately thinking. No reason for her not to feel the way she did, but perhaps working with Mr Nicks who is very low key in his approach , and her agent, they can work towards a more appropriate way for her to project or channel her confidence. ;)

14. aftershocks

^^ Come on! Ashley was nowhere near being "cocky" in her pre-Nats or post-Nats statements. Very clear difference between "cocky disrespect" and "competitive self-confidence." Add to that how supportive Ashley is/ was toward her friends and fellow competitors, including Agnes Zawadski and Adam Rippon.

Remember that Ashley placed third in 2012 U.S. Nats sp. Yet she showed confidence and spark and joyful engagement, but not any worry or nerves re her declaration, "Mentally, this is my Nationals to lose. I'm the one who's going to be holding myself back. I'm the one who's going to mess it up, if anything. That's what I have to overcome." She apparently said this during a pre-Nats interview, not on the day of the competition. It doesn't sound "cocky" to me, just confident and self-reflective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LidE3Kx6WM0&list=UU_rE3bivyW-5h3O_bynaGxA&index=4&feature=plcp

John Nicks on Ashley:
    "She has a great combination of athleticism and artistry. What I saw [in Ashley] was a skater that had a multitude of talents [who] really hadn't ever achieved her potential. At times I felt she also became not very focused under pressure certainly at Nationals. Perhaps the training wasn't very disciplined mentally as it should have been... I think Ashley is a lot more confident in her performance now than she was when she came to me."

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  15. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Man...you want to see "cockiness"? How about Usain Bolt. Wagner has got NOTHING on him.

16. aftershocks

Is everyone able to access that article link provided by Boston2014 without the screen turning blue after a couple of seconds? Can you provide answers as to why that is happening Boston2014?

Is the article available anywhere else on the Internet that can be properly accessed?

17. RD

RD Well-Known Member

^ *shrug* I'm not having the issue you described...what browser are you using?

18. Proustable

Proustable New Member

I've gotta say, I never though I'd live to see Roger Federer being stated as having "quiet confidence."

19. aftershocks

Google Chrome -- maybe that's the problem.

ETA:
    Okay, yes, that is the problem -- something in Google Chrome doesn't agree with that website apparently. Okay via Internet Explorer.

Have to laugh at: "the beautiful blonde ..." Ashley may have been a natural blonde as a kid, but she's beautiful with darker hair too. Blonde highlights suit her beautifully as well.

Nice article by Sarah. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Philip Mills comes up with for Ashley to The Red Violin. :)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  20. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Is blond her natural color?? Wow, guess you learn something new...

21. aftershocks

^^ There's a picture of Ashley as a kid on her official site. Her hair was blonde as a youngster apparently. Obviously, and not unusually her hair turned to a dark brown shade as she got older. She can rock dark with auburn highlights, or dark roots with blonde highlights.

http://www.figureskatersonline.com/ashleywagner/images/persfam1.jpg

22. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

23. aftershocks

Thanks for the link, Sylvia.

Ashley provides a revealing description of what it feels like being out on the ice at the start of a new season, debuting a new program:

Since she's taking a Journalism class, it's a nice bonus that she has the opportunity to write a blog for ESPN this season.

24. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Exciting sponsor news tweeted by Ashley today :):
    Also, Ashley's cover story article from the October (digital) issue of SKATING magazine is available to be read online: http://skatingmagazineblog.com/2012/11/05/skating-magazine-october-issue/

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  25. aftershocks

^^ Wonderful for Ashley! Congrats, NikeWoman!

26. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Ahh! Congrats, Ash!

Question: is Nike the company that has just one athlete represented from each sport? If so, wasn't Yu-Na that at the time of the last Olympics?

27. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

Great news for Ashley. This is the first significant endorsement deal for a U.S. lady in quite some time.

28. aftershocks

Thanks, that's a very nice feature on Ashley. :)

Kudos to all involved for the fact that Priscilla Hill's skills and professionalism as a coach are mentioned, along with what she did for Ashley referred to in a positive light.

John Nicks is a wonderful curmudgeon! Definitely Ashley's "Yoda." :lol:

Interesting re the characterization of Ashley's early failures and limitations. I always enjoyed and rooted for Ashley but often felt that bottom line she simply wasn't appreciated as much as some other skaters. However, everyone's path is different and sometimes individuals have to go through hard times and come to what seems like the end of their dreams before it's possible to figure out a way to begin again, make changes, find the help that makes a difference, approach goals differently and lift oneself up by one's bootstraps. Then magical things can happen, but preparation and hard work is still necessary fuel for the stardust moments.

29. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Major endorsement deal for Ashley! Congrats and it's so well deserved!

30. Simone411

Simone411 Just Flip-Flopping Around

Congrats to Ashley regarding the endorsement. I really enjoyed the blog, and thanks for sharing the photos everyone. :) :respec: