Ashley Wagner in Washington Post

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Wyliefan, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Really good article here about what was wrong with her muscles and how they treated it.

2. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Nice article - thanks for posting this.

Spinal nerves, especially the ones in the neck, can be incredibly temperamental - what happened to Ashley is one of the most bizarre things I've ever heard of. I'm just happy that she was able to have the problem treated and is now back at 100%.

In retrospect, coming in 5th at NHK having only done six run-throughs of her program is nothing short of amazing.

taf2002 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Chris_E

Chris_E Active Member

Yeah, crazy to hear about these health issues. I'm glad she was able to figure out the cause and work through it. Hopefully with physical therapy she can continue to keep it under control.

4. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

:yikes:That's really crazy. I hope she can finally put together 2 clean programs and make it to Worlds.:cheer2:

5. RD

RD Well-Known Member

I didn't realize she was still struggling with the muscle spasms. Anyway, glad things are back under control.

6. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

Wow, that's crazy. Hope she :kickass: at Nationals!

7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Interesting case for sure.

8. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Woah... She told us she was sick in her vlogs, but I never knew it was that bad!!! Does anyone think it's interesting that we learn about these thing like 6 months after a competition happens?

9. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Buried in the article on the 1st pg. is a sentence re Sochi 2014 - says she doesn't know if she'll last that long. I hope that's not the case :(

10. RD

RD Well-Known Member

That's to be expected. Still a ways from now. Can't predict the future. But in the video she says her ultimate goal (kudos for not being shy) is to win in Sochi.

11. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

OMG, poor baby!! That's awful.

12. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

I recall her having heart issues during the last Jr. Worlds she competed in. And remember how much she was shaking during the medal ceremony? I'd hazard a guess that this has been going on longer than just since the summer. How terrifying! The poor girl!!

13. smarts1

Well at least it's treated now, so that's a good thing.

14. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Good grief! Way to stay private! What a horror. I hope she skates fabulously and has a ball.

15. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Glad they were able to figure out what caused the problem before things got even worse. Hopefully Ashley can put together two clean programs at Nationals.

And, it was v. nice to see Irina Romanova again! I actually saw some shades of their Malguena FD in Ashely's program...but that might just be sleep deprivation kicking in.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkrcyyRv3vM

16. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I had no idea she's had those problems. Glad they are all cleared up and good luck this week! :)

17. Chris_E

Chris_E Active Member

Apparently (according to her twitter) Ashley has come down with the flu. How unfortunate. Maybe it will be a good distraction from overthinking about her skating and somehow she'll blow everyone away.

18. RD

RD Well-Known Member

^ not to mention it lowers expectations

19. smarts1

NO!!!!!! Please skate lights out tonight Ashley. :(

Hopefully she can pull a Sasha...

20. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Oh Ashley. :wuzrobbed I had no idea she had such a serious health problem. :( I hope she has a great time at nationals and hope she kicks butt! :kickass: Go Ashley! :cheer2:

21. smarts1

:( I hope she can come back strong in the long. I think having the flu really affected everything.

22. Civic

Civic New Member

Can anyone link me to the TV broadcast schedule for 2011 US Nationals?

23. Dufusyte

Dufusyte New Member

Notice it was a chiropractor (Eastern Medicine) who provided the correct diagnosis and treatment. All the mainstream (Western Medicine) doctors were stumped.

Go chiropractors!

Check out the skepticism in the Oxford English Dictionary for word "chiropractor"
    "Are believed" suggests skepticism. Why not just say "which cause other disorders" or "which can cause other disorders" or "which sometimes cause other disorders".

If Ashley wins I hope she tells the interviewer, "I would like to thank my chiropractor for making this possible!"

I'm on this soapbox because insurance does not provide the same level of coverage for visits to chiropractors, thus discouraging people from going to them. The tables are tilted to put the chiropractors out of business, and drive patients to the Western doctors who prescribe expensive medicines sold by pharmaceutical companies, rather than curing people by straightening them out and showing them how to take care of themselves.

24. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzQYjLCFons

This was not nearly as bad as her marks or reaction made it out to be. I think she can definitely catch up to at least 4th in the free. Although I must say another trip Worlds seems very unlikely now, 4CCs is still very possible.

25. RD

RD Well-Known Member

two of Flatt, Nagasu, Czisny have to totally bomb the free. One of the 3 is possible, two seems unlikely.

26. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

But they don't have to bomb really, Ashley is 9 points back, so that's like the difference between a 125 FS and a 116 FS. So if Ashley gets a 125 and Alissa gets say, a 114, Ashley would beat Alissa overall but Alissa technically wouldn't have bombed, she just wouldn't have skated her best. The same is true for Mirai and Rachael. If Ashley is good but not great, then it's likely the others will have to bomb at least somewhat for her to beat them, but if Ashley skates light out, she can still beat the other girls if the others skate ok but not great.

27. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Chiropractic is not an example of Eastern medicine. It has its origins in the early 20th century US.

28. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Is Wagner even CAPABLE of 125? Even if she goes clean there are jump issues that always hold her back.

29. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

At US Nationals, she definitely is. They haven't ever called her flutz and sometimes even her two-foots seem to be overlooked.

30. smarts1

^ She has shown this season she is capable of landing her jumps cleanly without landing on two feet (COR)... And she always has given strong LPs at Nationals. Her jumps, when clean, receive big marks, so she is definitely capable of 125.