Ashley Wagner decries Russian anti-gay law

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sugar, Sep 30, 2013.

1. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

ITA. It's an important issue to her and I applaud Ashley for speaking out, but some of the criticisms against those who chose not to take up the issue make me uncomfortable.

2. suef

suef New Member

Well, those who chose not to take up the issue make me uncomfortable, as well.

3. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Another factor seemingly is that perhaps other skaters share the same concerns and views expressed by Ashley, but are not able to articulate their feelings as well as she did (or are nervous about saying what they feel because those who did do so but not very eloquently or inoffensively, were heavily criticized).

I suspect that Ashley is not necessarily viewing her comments as being brave, just as being true to herself, her beliefs and her principles. But yeah, she definitely has a brave heart which is evident not only in this instance.

4. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I am very glad Ashley spoke plainly on the subject. Somebody should.
    But the issue IS complicated. NOT the gay equality itself, but the question of "to go or not to go, to speak or not and when". I wish we would all stop calling for other people to make statements.
    Kwanfan1818, I love DiDonato and admire her stance. Though I do not blame Netrebko for not coming out on Met's Opening Night with a sign " Tchaikovsky was gay and societal pressure ruined his life" either ( though it would be wonderful if she addressed it in one of her interviews). But as a different example ( and I hope he forgives me if he reads it for making an example out of him)- a good friend of mine ( gay) was invited to perform alongside his life partner in one of the countries where homosexuality is completely illegal. They both went together. My main thought was - just be careful!!! His take- I will not let their screwed-up politics affect my life and my career choices. This is what I do, and I am going to be good at it.
    And this is just as valuable- not letting discrimination win by living one's life. So perhaps it will take everything. Some people speaking out, some people doing what they are best at, being who they are.
    Backtracking- I liked Ashley in her Skating Lesson Interview a great deal, now I like her even more. But we have zero right to pressure athletes.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
    Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  5. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

It's amazing that the movement of "No Bullying!" is going out of its way to bully others.

So everyone who is old enough to vote should be an activist, and an articulate champion of each community's issues?

It makes you uncomfortable that not every person is an activist? Are you uncomfortable with most of the world's population?

That's not exactly true. There have been people demanding to hear what certain athletes have to say about the issue, as if their silence means they hate humanity.

I agree. It's illogical.

spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  6. suef

suef New Member

Just as the skaters are allowed their own opinions, I am allowed to have mine. And I am allowed to disagree with what they are saying, or with what they are not saying, and form my own opinions about it. And, I am allowed to chose not to support, or be fans of, certain skater... for this, or any other reason.

7. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I think the fact that people are framing the idea of just having an opinion or at least being sensitive enough to the issue to avoid saying something that could be construed as insensitive is being an activist (which some people use as a dirty word) says a lot about the differences in how people view this issue (or any issue).

Also, I think there's a difference between bullying and being critical. Although, I have no doubt some people are using this as an excuse to excessively go after skaters and athletes due to their own personal dislike of said skater/athlete. However, there's no reason to demean the whole "No Bullying!" movement nor does it do much to twist it into something that it's not (meaning that the No Bullying! means never being critical...which is not what it means).

8. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  9. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Agnes addressed her statement in an icenetwork article.
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/10/04/62472362/the-inside-edge-zawadzki-faces-media-trains-hard

So it sounds like she was unprepared to answer the question and didn't phrase it well. Proper media training, they should have known that question was coming!

10. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I am glad Agnes took the time to better word her response. And I like what she just said. If I based my friendships on people's initial reactions to all gay issues, I would have no friends. Heck I'd hate myself and I'm gay. Go, Agnes!

11. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Yes, I am also glad that Agnes clarified initial statement and gave it some context. Good for her.