Ashley Wagner changes her long program back to "Samson and Delilah"

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

The news was made official today: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...lympics-figure-skating-ashley-wagner/4733375/

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/21/ashley-wagner-changes-long-program/
    ETA: I believe Helene Elliott of the Los Angeles Times should be credited with the "scoop" - here is the article link posted by lahaa968 below: http://www.latimes.com/sports/sport...ating-sochi-olympics-20140121,0,4478863.story

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  2. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

Good move. "Samson and Delilah" is a strong program and she excelled at it.

3. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I think it's a good idea.
    I hope she can get the program ready for competition in time for Sochi.

4. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

Change the SP too. Or at least re-cut the music, remove that screeching guitar solo section during the combo spin.

5. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Wagner's SP has been very successful for her this year. Further, changing the long program is enough work and enough of a risk. Changing both would be insane.

6. succubus

succubus Well-Known Member

I think this is a good move. I'm not a huge Ashley uber but I'm rooting for her to put on a good show with a lot of spirit and determination - S&D used to bring that out in her. Good luck to her and to our whole team!

7. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

But she is keeping the same element layout and just changing the music, isn't she? :scream: Or does 'The skate setup will stay the same.' mean something else?

8. lahaa968

lahaa968 Active Member

I believe she was referring to the general set up of the program, element wise--in particular the jumps. That said, S&D and R&J have virtually the same jump layout:

S&D: 3F+C, 2A+C, 3S, 3Lo, 3Lz, 3Lo+C, 3F
    R&J: 3F+3T, 2A, 3S, 3Lo+2A, 3Lz, 3Lo, 3F+2T+2T

I'm guessing she will keep the same layout as R&J, e.g. do the 3Lo+2A first, followed by solo 3Lo after 3Lz.

I'm happy for her; I think it will help her mentally. I will say though that the one technical weakness of S&D was the StSq. She received Level 2 more than once, never a Level 4. I though R&J's step sequence was much stronger and more complex, and I don't think she ever got below a Level 3. Maybe Raf can help out?

9. just tuned in

just tuned in Active Member

deleted.

10. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Well, perhaps one of the reasons she had issues with R&J was the more complex steps, and doing them earlier in the program. R&J seemed more difficult that S&D in that regard. Her PCS were up this year, but that could be for a wide variety of reasons. Hopefully they won't drop now that she's going back to last year's program.

I hope she rearranges the 3 jump combo because the way the 7th jumping pass is choreographed to the music in S&D is quite effective. It wouldn't be the same if it was 3f2t2t. Also, I think she needs the 3 jump combo before the steps.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  11. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Is Mills helping her bring back the program?

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I think that R&J was not a good program. It was bland and lacked character. So this is good news. It's a shame Bourne didn't do both of her programs this season because she did a very good job with the SP.

Their split wasn't particularly amicable so probably not.

13. lahaa968

lahaa968 Active Member

14. lahaa968

lahaa968 Active Member

She said the new program “is a Frankenstein of a program,” in that it is pieced together from last season’s program, parts of her “Romeo and Juliet” program and some moves done at different stages than they were before.
    “The general setup of it is ‘Romeo and Juliet,’ but we took pieces from ‘Samson and Delilah’ that I really liked, and I liked the character at those moments and we kind of placed them in methodically,” she said.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sport...ympics-20140121,0,4478863.story#ixzz2r5bUkpdD

:scream:

That said, go big or go home...high risk high reward.

15. Jasmar

Jasmar Active Member

It makes it look like, under COP, excellent choreography to music doesn't really matter. Just the elements.

16. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

It sounds like she will keep some and change some back and so this will in some ways be a new program, just a new program that's been patched together from two old ones.

17. Simone411

Simone411 Just Flip-Flopping Around

I think it's very good news, especially if she's more comfortable with her previous music. As she stated here, she didn't feel like a fighter. If this is what she needs to get into it, then by all means go for it.

18. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Ashley, you go girl!

19. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Bloody hell! :scream:

So she did mean at least party doing the current choreography to her old music. Great. :wall:

It's not very likely. :( Olympics are around the corner and there is not even remotely enough time to get comfortable with new choreography.

Theoretically it does: http://isuprod.blob.core.windows.net/media/104183/program-component-explanations.pdf. But yeah, the reality of judging is that it doesn't really.

20. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

Glad she's changing the program, but I actually thought Black Swan worked best for her. Oh well, I hope the "pastiche" works. Good luck, Ashley.

Wiery and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Well I'm glad she's importing some R&J choreography because by comparison, S&D looked pretty empty.

22. alj5

alj5 Well-Known Member

I think this is a good move to return to S&D, but I wish she would just go back to the whole program. But whatever, it's still better music for Ashley. She needs music with power and fire to match her skating, R&J is beautiful music and is a great program but it's not for Ashley.

I would've preferred the Swan Lake program, but S&D is a good choice too.

23. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

LOL, it's pink floyd and you want her to remove the guitar solo from a classic rock song.

AndyWarhol, IceAlisa, Coco and 3 others like this.
  24. lahaa968

lahaa968 Active Member

I still think the ChSq was wasted in S&D. Much more effective in R&J, especially the falling leaf into the luge...though she may keep that part since in both R&J and S&D, the last two elements are ChSq and CCoSp. :biggrinbo

25. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Has this kind of last minute program change ever worked for the Olympics or Worlds? It smells so desperate. It is bizarre that it took her this long to realize R&J wasnt working.

Whoever said above this makes music look irrelevant under the IJS is dead on. Good luck to Ashley though.

26. lahaa968

lahaa968 Active Member

Shizuka Arakawa changed her FP weeks before Torino, and actually reworked some of the choreography/layout (since the original, from 2003-2004, was under 6.0). And she won!

Also, Sarah Hughes changed the later half of her FP between US Nationals and SLC from Rach. 2 to the finale of Daphnis and Chloe.

Stephane Lambiel changed his free program and re-choreo'd a new one three weeks before the...2005 WC? The King Arthur program.

27. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Oh-KAY then! Go, Ashley!

28. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

It has received a fair amount of negative feedback. I am also surprised that this decision has been made so late. Maybe she wasn't fully happy with the program but the Nationals disaster was the trigger to change it.

29. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Good luck to Ashley! I hope this works out for her. I loved S&D so I'm looking forward to seeing this program in Sochi. :cheer:

30. jenniferlyon

jenniferlyon Well-Known Member

If this is what works for Ashley, then she should do it.