Asada Picks Nichol to Choreograph Her FS

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Iceman, May 10, 2010.

1. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I am getting tired of Nichol choreography but it may actually suit Mao. I wonder what the music is.

3. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Lori Nichol brought her Nocturne, Fantaisie Impromptu, and Claire de Lune (I am happy to forget about Nutcracker and Czardas), in other words, YAY! :cheer:

4. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Given what this past season looked like, this is a step in the right direction for Mao. I think Nicol will design something that is 'right size' for her and leverages her natural qualities. While no one hits it out of the park every time, I think on balance Laurie is a good choice right now.

5. shopper

shopper Member

has to be a big improvement.

6. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

This makes me happy.

7. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Cautiously Optimistic!

Ok Lori, work some of that Joannie Magic now! (I loved Nocturne and Claire de lune started to grow on me, but wasn't crazy about the rest of the programs Lori gave Mao in the past. Certainly none of her LPs were home runs for me.)

Now how about Tom Dickson or Shae-lynn for the SP choreo?!? :swoon:

8. poths

poths Well-Known Member

Eh, Salome Brunner is CLEARLY the most innovative, experssionate choreographer at the moment. Lambiel's programs were utter genius this year and Meier's stuff has always been understated elegance. What she could for Mao makes me :swoon: at the very thought.

Lori is over used and fresh out of ideas...Salome would be a far better choice.

9. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I think Brunner is too much to take for Asada.

10. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

:eek: Is Brunner a Diva?!?

Details :watch:

11. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

I would agree that the work Brunner has done with Lambiel is gorgeous. I would think that after this very rocky season Mao needs both a comfortable, nurturing working relationship as well as some nice programs. For Mao, Laurie is the "known" and is comfortable (I'm guessing) and I think that's the closest thing to fitting the bill for Mao right now. While Brunner is remarkably talented, Mao needs a high comfort level and she can't know that with Brunner in advance. I think she's going down the right road which is to say minimizing any chance of a train wreck like 1) her last LP 2) her odd relationship with TT. I hope she has a satisfying season.

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  12. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Sorry I meant her work will be too much to take for Asada.

13. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

Nichol is a very good fit for Mao, IMO.

14. ChibiChibi

ChibiChibi Active Member

Mao's SP will be done by TT.

15. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

Lori Nichol is a wonderful choice for Mao, in my opinion. She has the ability to create brilliant choreographies to fit the skater in question perfectly. And her choreographies seem always new.

16. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

That's a good, very good news !

17. shallwedansu

shallwedansu New Member

It's certainly an improvement from TAT overload. TAT can create great programs for Mao, but not 3 great programs all in one season. I hope Lori goes more in the direction of Fantaisie Impromptu than Claire de Lune. Mao is older now and too good for pretty princess routines which I thought Claire de Lune was. :shuffle:

Anyways, ganbare Mao! :cheer2:

Last edited: May 10, 2010
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!! :wall: :scream:

19. key65man

key65man New Member

I agree with you on this. Lori Nichol seems to have that special ability. She should be great for Asada.

20. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

I swear, when I read the thread title, I thought of you Ziggy.

21. igniculus

igniculus Well-Known Member

Care to explain? Mao is a beautifully expressive skater.

22. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Great choice! Asada is such a joyful and light skater, these are qualities that Nichols seems to excel in bringing out of her students. I think Mao's programs will be much better next year, she will be skating with more confidence and I would not be surprised to see her become 3 time World Champ.

jtpc and (deleted member) like this.
  23. masofs

masofs New Member

I think it's a good choice. I love her Nocturne program, it's probably one of my favorite short programs ever. Claire de Lune, Fantaisie Impromptu and So Deep is the Night were lovely too. Didn't like Czardas though.

24. shine

shine Well-Known Member

But between TAT and Nichol, I'll take the latter any time, any day.

I personally don't think she has the artistic maturity and flair of Lambiel to pull off Salome Brunner programs.

25. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

True that. ^^

26. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

It was reported at Ballerina on Ice that Mao's exhibition will be coreographed by Lori and Tatiana.

:cheer2:

27. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

That choice seems very Blah to me, but the programs are guaranteed to be COP- savvy.
    Still, with Dickson, Brunner, Bourne, Camerlengo, Miyamoto, Yuka Sato, sometimes Wilson, Platov, Browning and more thinking out of the box, Nichol seems a safe, but uninspired choice.

28. ChibiChibi

ChibiChibi Active Member

ITA. I think it's a safe choice, I guess. Lori's programs for Mao were okay, but to me they were not special. This could have been a great opportunity for her to try someone else, so I'm dissapointed a little.

So, her SP will be choreopraphed by TAT, LP by Lori, and EX by Lori and TAT...hmmmmm I really wanted to see a different side of Mao next year... oh well...

29. silverstars

silverstars New Member

Although I don't always like Nichol's programs, I think that she is a MUCH better fit for Mao than TT. Too bad she isn't doing the SP as well....

30. Kelleys6th

Kelleys6th Active Member

At first I was wondering if Mao left TAT. :wideeyes: To me that would have been a good thing.
    I felt her programs were very dark this year - music was too strong, and I didn't think they fit her too well. TAT usually has her own ideas about her skaters. I was disappointed how she seemed distant :slinkaway to Mao all season. I'd love to see Mao move on to another coach closer to home.

:cat: