As for the Worlds, JSF started to coordinate so as to hold in Japan in this autumn.

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Akira Andrea, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Akira Andrea

Akira Andrea Well-Known Member

This is an article in “Daily Sports” in Japan.
    Translated from Japanese.
    As for the 2011 Worlds, JSF started to coordinate so as to hold in Japan in this autumn.
    March 16th, 2011 JST

As for the 2011 Worlds (Yoyogi National Gymnasium) of March and the 2011 World Team Trophy (Yokohama Arena) of April, which were postponed under the influence of Japan North East Region Pacific Coast Offshore Earthquake, Japan Skating Federation (JSF) started to coordinate so as to hold in Japan in September or the first half of October, in March 16th.
    Because JSF was asked about the possibility of the postponement until this fall from the President Cinquanta of International Skating Union (ISU), President Seiko Hashimoto of JSF said "We need to investigate from now on which area we can hold those in but we intend to reply that we would like to host the substitute events".
    However, it is unpredictable as for the future, because it is requested as a condition from ISU to provide 5 months lead time after letting out "the safe declaration" as the country as for the nuclear power plant continuing the unstable condition.
    Receiving the information, the President Cinquanta gives a terminal-decision not later than the early part of May.

The article:
    As for the 2011 Worlds, JSF started to coordinate so as to hold in Japan in this autumn.
    http://www.daily.co.jp/general/2011/03/17/0003872330.shtml

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  2. Lanna

Lanna Well-Known Member

Thanks for your translations! :cheer:

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

In case people aren't already aware, Cinquanta later clarified that the ISU's final(?) decision would come much earlier than the "beginning of May" in an interview with Phil Hersh today: http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com...tay-in-japan-sees-october-as-best-option.html

4. Akira Andrea

This is an article in “Sports Nippon” in Japan.
    Translated from Japanese.
    As for 2011 Worlds, JSF is considering so as to hold the substitute event this autumn.
    March 17th, 2011 JST
    In March 16th, JSF

The photo:
    Photography: By Kyodo
    President Seiko Hashimoto in JSF who showed the policy to iron out so as to hold 2011 Worlds in Japan in this autumn.
    http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2011/03/17/gazo/G20110317000442610.html

Opening a board of directors in Tokyo Metropolitan area in March 16th, Japan Skating Federation (JSF) decided to consider the substitution event this autumn as for the 2011 Worlds which gave up holding on March 21st.
    The said board of directors decided to notify formally to International Skating Union (ISU) that it is difficult to hold not only the Worlds but also the World Team Trophy which is planned in Yokohama from April 15th.
    After that, discussing as for the document of inquiry whether it is possible to hold Worlds in Japan in the time until September or the first half of October which received from ISU in the previous night, JSF decided to consider as for holding it.
    After President Hashimoto said that she intends to confirm whether or not she can secure the venue as soon as possible, she said "President Cincuanta is saying that 5 months are necessary as the lead time after the safe declaration comes out in Japan", too, and said, "We decide finally whether or not it is possible to hold it, during this month or not later than the early part of April".
    If it is held in autumn, the player doing entry this time becomes to participate to it.
    Hidetoshi Ito Figure Skating Chief Director of JSF said, "I think that the player needs to perform the program of next season there as a result, therefore, the player needs to prepare the program earlier than usual season".

The article:
    As for 2011 Worlds, JSF is considering so as to hold the substitute event this autumn.
    http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2011/03/17/kiji/K20110317000441290.html

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  5. mark247

mark247 New Member

Thanks for the translation.

6. Akira Andrea

I am sorry.
    As for the time of the terminal-decision, there was a mistake in not the original article but my translation. I corrected the said part of the translation as follows.

"Receiving the information, the President Cinquanta gives a terminal-decision not later than the early part of May."

7. Judy

Judy New Member

Fall time in ridiculous for the skaters. I hope that Speedy uses common sense especially for the uncertainty in Japan regarding the nuclear situation right now.

8. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the translation, Akira Andrea! :) Does this mean the JSF wants to host Worlds, even if they are postponed to October?

9. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

All the skaters are starting to state that it's ridiculous to have worlds in October and are starting to send protests to their federation.
    Really, the ISU knows nothing about its own sports. Sad.

10. Akira Andrea

Yes, I think that JSF is hoping to host the Worlds even if it is postponed in September or October.

11. GoldenMichelle

GoldenMichelle Active Member

I'm wondering what would happen if Worlds are reschedled for Oct and the skaters decided not to show up due to timing and the fand don't buy tickets due to the top skaters not being there. JSF might go bust anyway.

Bad idea all around.

kirarinne likes this.
  12. NMURA

NMURA Member

I'm afraid such selfish skaters would be punished by the iron fist of the ISU, and their federations will do the same if the spots were reduced. This is a really unusual situation. They must cooperate if they want to save their careers.

13. pani

pani Well-Known Member

All elite skaters have medical reasons to to compete a all - they all have injuries. And in October they will not have shows.
    All couldnt go only around Japan I think its better to cancell WCh and not hold in in October.
    Japan will have Japan Open in that time.How about selfish federation and ISU president?

14. bek

bek Guest

I think its far more selfish of the ISU to keep the skaters in limbo. And frankly for the JSF to be pushing for this October worlds.(If they are) It would be one thing if October worlds was something the japanese federation could actually guarantee. But they can't even do that.

IF you cant' guarantee that your country will be available why not do the right thing for the skaters and that includes the Japanese skaters, and let another federation host it sooner.

Now if moving worlds causes Japan to lose out on insurance money, then I'd be for cancelling it. And heck if the Japanese federation is hard up financially, I'd even support some kind of benefit to help them recoup some of those costs. After a suitable time after things in Japan are straightened out.

But I'm sorry its time to put the skaters first.

And the skaters have the right to be upset. What about their health. You have some skaters planning surgeries etc.

15. loulou

loulou Let It Snow

As far as I can understand (from posts on this board), this means exactly the the JSF is not willing to give up to the event yet.
    The only possibly doable solution for Japan to host the 2011 world championships, would be in the fall.
    Apparently, if the JSF was willing to let go, the ISU could have aready agreed to place worlds in one of the cities/countries that volounteered.

-- Please, everybody, feel free to correct me if I didn't get things straight.

16. Judy

Judy New Member

I don't think the skaters are selfish at all but if the ISU were to agree with this which I doubt they will I would question their sanity.

Worlds in October is ridiculous and although I feel badly for Japan and their skating union they are obviously desperate but I think they should turn their attention to the diaster that's occuring in their own country.

Here's a new article. I agree 100% with it.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...kating-championship-nightmare/article1945001/

17. NMURA

NMURA Member

World championship is not just a "competition". It covers the major costs of the ISU's organization and competition managements. If they couldn't make money from this valuable event, the whole projects of the season will suffer. They will need to cut back the budget. Unprofitable events like JGP should be curtailed first. In due course, GPS and championships are "adjusted" to accordingly. The prize money is easy to sacrifice. The ISU also runs speed skating and short-track events. They don't make profits and needs constant fund injection from the figure skating section. Much more than "rinks" and "hotels" are required to host this prestigious event. Such unprepared expedience only to please selfish fans and skaters will sure lose money. And the difference between its loss and the expected gain from the October worlds in Japan constitutes the loss for the ISU. As long as there's no country who can guarantee sufficient financial gains to the ISU, the October worlds option is the best. I'm admiring Mr Cinquanta's intelligence. Any (in)convenience of individual skaters are trivial compared to the whole business of international skating. They have the obligations to contribute under this crisis situation.

18. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Thank you for your responses! :) I still hope Japan hosts Worlds. If the situation there is better by the fall, then I can't see why they can't host it.

19. Judy

Judy New Member

So skaters and fans are selfish because it's better to not let them take any break and force them to train 4 programs when it's also feasible to move the championships to another venue which has been offered by other countries. I don't think the skaters, coaches, choreographers and skating clubs are going to buy into this rationale.

LuckyCharm and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

No, they don't.

ETA: Thank you for translating, Akira Andrea.

21. bek

bek Guest

What financial guarantees can the JSF make at this point. Once again it would be one thing if the Japanese federation could guarantee that Worlds in October would be successful. They can't, they can't even guarantee things will be safe in Japan or that they will even be able to host it.

What happens if they say sure to Worlds in October and then things don't work out as planned. Can it even be deterimined an insurance company would fund-2nd worlds in Japan right now? So then everyone would be out more money. And the skaters would have been training for what?

I"m not sure if barebones worlds is possible. I will say that I think its very selfish to say that speed skating can put on unprofitable worlds-but skating isn't allowed too.

May I point out there is a rich Swede willing to fund a new Worlds in Sweden. Yes willing to pay all the cost. How isn't that a financial guarantee- Nmura.

And skating is very popular in Russia. All they have to do is get some Ice Age stars etc to promote new worlds, and tickets will be sold etc.

22. pinky33

pinky33 New Member

Without healthy prepared figure skaters there is no ISU for figure skating. If all is put on the ISU needs it is the tail wagging the dog. The most important thing is to take care of the athletes first, money second. If you want to talk money, think of the individual financial investment of each skater. How much money has invested to get individual athletes to the World level. The athletes health, money, time and lifetime commitment needs to be put first. It is a very sad time for so many in the world, there is no easy answer.

23. Ladida

Ladida Member

October is really ridiculous.
    It is like having Ice Hockey World Championships in August.:blah:

24. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

From what I can gather from my sources this decision is all about what the Japanese TV sponsor (supported by the JSF) wants. The ISU (a not-for-profit) is here to represent and manage a good competitive environment for figure skating. This is a major failure and only gives me more certainty around my thoughts that skating is the last thing on the agenda for this governing body.

The whole situation in Japan is so sad, so concerning and in the middle of a national disaster there are apparently a bunch of TV execs who are thinking of nothing but $$$ and if they can't hold it in the autumn well, those are the breaks for everyone else. Ok, but they're the businessmen and acting like businessmen. But no one in the mix is lookingg at the big picture. No one is looking out for figure skating as a sport as the ISU is supposed to do and I find that beyond depressing. The whole 'these skaters have performance contracts' is a red herring thrown out there to distract us. They could have (were seriously considering it) moved the comp to Lausanne or Torino (the two major possibilities) early this week but Japanese TV interests threatened to sue and Speedy caved.

aka_gerbil and (deleted member) like this.
  25. Judy

Judy New Member

Has Speedy not said though to Hersh that it is still ISU's final decision? Let's hope he makes the right one.

26. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Yes, we can hope although with each day, it's dimming and personally my blood pressure is rising because the ISU is so 'bought and sold' and this may be the ultimate evidence of that. I am a business person and understand completely how much of this is business (a lot) and that's appropriate. But ALL of it is not business and every once in a while, when circumstances demand, it's time to grow a pair and disappoint the business interests while supporting the athletic interests.

27. Akira Andrea

I think that JSF never thinks unpleasantly about it, if any other country, for example Russia, Korea, Canada, USA, etc is kind enough to shoulder the Worlds instead of Japan.
    Rather, JSF thanks that country very much and will accept that.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  28. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Willowway, while I can see where you are coming from, I think burning bridges with JSF and NHK could be an absolute disaster for our sport in the long run.

At a certain point, you have to make financially motivated decisions.

Since Japanese skaters are in line for medals, I think JSF is shooting themselves in the foot here by putting their athletes in a situation where they have to peak for worlds 2x within 5 months.

We've all seen Mao in the fall. I love the girl, but she's not a year round medal contender. She comes on strong in the end. Does JSF really want a worlds in the fall for her? Have they thought this through?

I wish there was a way SC and JSF could trade 2011 for 2013, even though that would be bad for me personally. (I could actually go to Hamilton!)

29. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

As far as I'm concerned the Japanese Skating Fed can stuff it. It's their own fault if they failed to properly insure their event and it is not right to ask the ISU, other federations, and certainly not the skaters to carry that burden for them. The whole notion of putting off Worlds until fall is ridiculous.

Like everyone, my initial feelings were to be sorry for everyone in Japan for the natural disaster, but it is just wrong at this point for the JSF to continue blocking the rest of the world from making alternate arrangements to hold a World Championship that reasonably reflects a climax to this skating season.

IMO their stalling and offering ridiculous suggestions like Worlds in October should be beneath their dignity. It is an insult to every other federation and all the world's skaters.

30. Akira Andrea

If you think that JSF and the TV company in Japan always behave thinking only of the profit, I think that your understanding about the Japanese is insufficient.
    Under the case of the disaster in this time, not only the public TV like NHK but also most commercial TV reduced the usual general broadcasting of stable sponsor under their own free will and are broadcasting the news programs even for 1 week having disregarded a profit.
    The sponsor, too, shows understanding about that.

I think that JSF is conscious of a strong responsibility against ISU, the other Federations, Players, fans, etc, as for not having been able to hold the Worlds as scheduled, even if it is caused by the earthquake.

JSF think that they want to achieve their own responsibility if it is possible.
    However, the best time which JSF can show at present is probably only in September or in October.

kirarinne likes this.