Artur Gachinski cheer thread!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Moka-Ananas, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

He doesn't seem to have a lot of fans here but his debut at Worlds was just wonderful!
    How that 17-year-old kid handled the pressure on home ice and delivered was just breathtaking! :kickass:
    Way to go, Artur! :cheer2:

Show some LUV!

2. millipied

millipied New Member

ITA, talk about raising to the challenge. Very impressive debut! Congratulations!

3. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

I enjoyed his skating, too. He does remind me of Plushenko, but I like Plush, so I don't mind the similarity. Congrats to him.

4. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Big congrats to him! Even though Plushenko could have medaled he is the first Russian man to win a medal at worlds under COP!

5. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

Their technique is the same but I think that Artur's spins are better and his overall body use is softer than Plush's. He's even more plastic IMHO and could do great with lyrical programs.

6. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

He has improved a lot since I last saw him (Skate Canada). But he is the tiniest skater (except for Brezova) I have ever seen. I can't help wondering if he will have a growth spurt sometime soon. The two of them make Tong and Kavguti look like hulks ;)

If skaters get any smaller they will disappear!

7. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

He's 175cm according to his ISU bio...like most of the skaters.
    And he's had his growth spurt already, he used to be a lot smaller.

8. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Congrats for his bronze win on home ice. He did deliver well under pressure, despite some flaws. His long program was expressive and fun, and he's got a lot of Russian flair. He still needs polish and experience though. Somehow, I don't see him as being very lyrical. He has a kind of puckish quality.

9. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

For the first time, he captured my attention. His style reminds me of Leonova with all his facial expressions. Vaulting into the air like Plushenko can only be a strong asset for him to possess. I find him to be a cutie in the making too. It will be interesting to see how he matures in the coming years. Congrats to him for winning the bronze! :)

10. misskarne

misskarne #408

Actually, with the way he seemed to be skimming across the ice, he reminded me a little more of Kulik or Abt.

Really? I didn't know that! Well done Artur! :rollin:

At 17 almost 18, I think Artur's nearly done growing. But a lot of men's singles skaters are quite tiny. Yagudin was 5'6" (although he keeps insisting he's 5'9"...bless him.)

I'm not sure what happened - I think it's the straightened hair - but suddenly he went from "aww adorable bb" to "OMG hel-LO!" :swoon:

(It's not pedo, he's 17 :p)

Seriously, well done Artur. A very impressive performance from one so young. I wasn't a huge fan, but I am definitely keeping an eye on him now.

11. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

I think it's the straightened hair too that gave him a much cleaner, more handsome look. He actually reminds me a little of Sasha Abt now, and that certainly isn't a bad thing. ;) :hat1: :swoon:

12. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

Won a bronze at 1st worlds just like Plushenko.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Civic

Civic New Member

To finish 3rd at his first Worlds is an impressive accomplishment for any skater; particularly one who isn't even 18. Way to go Artur!

14. misskarne

misskarne #408

Being reminded of Sasha is NEVER a bad thing :swoon::swoon::swoon:

Curls make me instantly think of babies and little kids. The straighter hair made him look a little older, IMO. :swoon:

Plushenko was two years younger :p

A great acheivement! Here's hoping it's the first of many medals in Artur's future.

15. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

His jump technique is impeccable and solid - that's classic Mishin training. I sense (and there's just the smallest hint) that he does actually have some lyricism possible in his movement but I fear that Mishin because he's Mishin won't foster that as it clearly isn't meaningful to him (we can see that in Plushy and other skaters he coaches). Right now the programs actually play against it - musical peaks in the middle of spins and stuff like that. That's a shame. While I don't think AG will even have the big presence that Plushenko has on ice (although I don't appreciate Plushy's 'Vancouver style', I admit he has presence), Artur could in many ways be an enjoyable and more complete skater to watch - the question is whether Mishin will nurture that.

16. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

And like Yags ;)

17. ciocio

ciocio Active Member

I cheer for Artur too!!!:cheer::cheer2: I wish him a long and successful career!
    Hopefully Artur develops more his own style and Plushy gets rid of the "Vancouver style :blah:" forever and they build a strong team for Russia!!!! :cheer::fan::kickass:

18. viv

viv New Member

Am I the only one who doesn't see that much resemblance with Plush? In his jumping technique, yes, and that is not a bad thing, but I think he has a much better feeling for the music than Plush ever had. And his looks remind me - as someone else here said - more at Alexander Abt thann Plush. Anyway, he was great yesterday and we will see a lot more great programs from him in the future. :cool:

19. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

OK now I'm a believer. I thought his skating was awfully rough at Skate Canada, and the short program at Worlds was a big improvement, but still a little stiff and unconnected. The long program won me over. If he can skate like that at 17 he'll be a real contender for gold in Sochi. He's athletic and has a great sense of drama.

20. misskarne

misskarne #408

Wow, I didn't know that. I see a pattern emerging! :lol: A good one!

:cheer: Russian 1-2 at Sochi!

I can see maybe a tiny vague resemblance in the jumping technique, which I imagine comes from having the same coach. But he seems softer in the knees to my eye than Plushy :)

I actually think you can visibly track how far Plushy moved away from his formal ballet training as he grew older. When he was younger (and his ballet days were more recent) his movements and music feel were a lot smoother and cleaner. As he's got older, I think he's just lost that very slightly. Of course, he still has some of the best arms in FS, and the most charisma of anyone ;)

Moka-Ananas and (deleted member) like this.
  21. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

Didn't Plushy win a medal at Worlds under COP?

22. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

No, he was injured in 2005, first world were COP was used and after 2006 as you know he retired and when he came back he did not do the worlds. So Gachinski has the honour of winning the first male figure skating medal under COP scoring system.

23. kia_4EverOnIce

kia_4EverOnIce New Member

I like him...he reminds me Plushenko, especially for jumps (obviously, same coach..) but as others say, he also has quite a different style, though I wouldn't say Abt, he's still nearer to Plushenko IMO
    Anyway, he did great, and sure winning bronze at first worlds (Plushenko was younger) and even more, at home, it was great for him!

24. Civic

Civic New Member

I haven't seen him skate yet. Does he have the strong basic skating skills of a Plushenko or Urmanov? How are his carriage and extension?

25. Glacier cat

Glacier cat Member

His skating skill is still like a junior skater. He should improve it till Sochi.

26. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I just saw Gachinski's gala performance from Worlds and it's amusing. I guess it was supposed to be amusing? It's not as easy to understand what he's going for when the lyrics are in another language.

27. misskarne

misskarne #408

I just wanted to revive this thread because I think it's important that Artur fans dwell on the good things he managed to achieve this season.

He did have a bad Worlds, but we can't throw him on the scrapheap because of one horrid competition!

Here's Artur's programs from Euros. I really enjoyed him there. He shows a lot of character, especially in the SP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GevQjmsXNHM - Short Program - Saint Louis Blues - 1st

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0ywEbhH8_Y - Long Program - The Demon - 2nd

I normally hate recycled programs, but I wouldn't mind seeing him do these two again. I think the SP shows a lot of character and is really fun and awesome, while I'm sure he would like to get an opportunity to take the Demon program further and skate it clean on an international stage.

I think he's matured a lot this season - at Euros he had less of that haunted look about him than in the past, and his on-ice personality is really starting to develop!

I don't like this comment from Alexei Mishin though:

"... In fact, there is a serious reason, why Arthur was not ready. But I have no right to disclose it"

(from here: http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/article-item/518367)

That doesn't sound very good at all. I hope everything is all right in Artur's life now.

28. ks1227

ks1227 Well-Known Member

Gachinski's style is not usually my favorite, but I was really hoping he would do well after last year's breakout skate. I hope he can come back for next year! :respec:

I really would take Gachinski, or Voronov, or almost any Russian male skater other than Plushenko! :shuffle:

29. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

It's a terrible translation I read but what did that say? New boots? Couldn't train right and not enough time to withdraw AND send an alternate?

30. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

When Gachinski was very young (12 or 13), he was hyped up as the next Plushenko. By those high standards, he has been a disappointment. I like his skating, but unless he gets jump consistency, he cannot be competitive. He had a great worlds last year, and a terrible one this year. So it's hard to say which way it will turn out in the long run. I hope it will turn out great.