Artists Who Have Never Won A Grammy Award

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Feb 26, 2011.

?

Whose Recordings Do You Think Should Have Won A Grammy Award? (Multiple Choice)

1. Beach Boys (Brian Wilson won as a solo act in 2005)

14 vote(s)
    22.6%
  2. Bob Marley (his children have won Grammys)

15 vote(s)
    24.2%
  3. Buddy Holly

15 vote(s)
    24.2%
  4. Diana Ross

19 vote(s)
    30.6%
  5. The Doors

18 vote(s)
    29.0%
  6. Kiss

7 vote(s)
    11.3%
  7. Led Zeppelin

27 vote(s)
    43.5%
  8. Lynyrd Skynyrd

4 vote(s)
    6.5%
  9. Queen

47 vote(s)
    75.8%
  10. Talking Heads

9 vote(s)
    14.5%
  11. Tupac Shakur

5 vote(s)
    8.1%
  12. The Who

16 vote(s)
    25.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Diana Ross was on Oprah today and it was mentioned that while she has been nominated for Grammys before...she has never won.

So I did a little research and decided to create a poll as to whose music you think has most deserved to have won a Grammy at some point.

Others who did not win a Grammy for any specific recording or album:

Dusty Springfield (2001 Grammy Hall of Fame award)
    Grateful Dead (2007 Lifetime Acheivement)
    Janis Joplin (2005 Lifetime Acheivement)
    Jimi Hendrix (1992 Lifetime Acheivement)
    Sly and the Family Stone (a song from a tribute album to them won a Grammy)

Neil Young won his first Grammy this year.

David Bowie has won two Grammys, one for a 1985 video and in 2006 a Lifetime Acheivement Award (but none for any specific musical recording).
  2. duane

duane New Member

One of my picks is Diana Ross. She's had some amazing songs as a solo artist, and even as a member of the legendary Supremes she is without a Grammy.

My other choice is Queen. I was actually unaware that this amazing group never won a Grammy! It seems criminal!
  3. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

Voted for Marley, Queen, The Doors, and Miss Ross. Tried to vote for Tupac but it didn't take for some reason. When I think about some of the folks who have multiple wins in the Rap categories while he had none, I die a little inside.
  4. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I'm more than fine with the Grateful Dead not winning any Grammys. That would be one place where I would actually applaud NARAS for having some taste and common sense :p
  5. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Oh wow..I didn't know my vote would be so popular. I started to vote for my cousin Buddy HollEy.....as he was born...but decided no, Queen has had much more effect. I'm still in love with their lead guitarist who I understand was a mathematician. Or maybe it was just the hair.
  6. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Physicist, and decided to complete his Ph.D. only a few years ago when he discovered the manuscript of his unfinished dissertation in his attic and thought it actually wasn't that bad....

http://chronicle.com/article/Queen-Guitarist-Under/39442
  7. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

How could Queen never win a Grammy? That is beyond ridiculous.
  8. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I've been doing some wikipedia-ing and found that The Supremes, with 12 #1 songs were only nominated twice, and did not win. Also, while Diana was nominated for vocal performances and record of the year, she received no album nominations in any category (including for Lady Sings the Blues, which was the fifth best-selling album of the year it was released).

Songs of Diana RossÂ’ that received no Grammy nominations (for either pop or soul vocal performance or pop or soul song):

Reach Out and Touch (Somebody's Hand)
    Remember Me
    Good Morning Heartache
    Theme from Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To)
    The Boss
    I'm Coming Out
    It's My Turn
    Why Do Fools Fall in Love
    Mirror, Mirror
    All of You (with Julio Iglesias)
    Swept Away
    Missing You
    Eaten Alive
    Chain Reaction
  9. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

That's because she never really deserved one IMO.
    Cyn and (deleted member) like this.
  10. duane

duane New Member

One of my favorite Diana Ross albums is "Baby It's Me". It wasn't a huge seller, but had some great songs. And I had forgotten about her duets, including those with Lionel Richie and Marvin Gaye.
  11. Prancer

Prancer Ray Chill Staff Member

REX!!!

:lynch: :lynch: :lynch: :lynch: :lynch:

Milli Vanilli won a Grammy. BAHA MEN WON A GRAMMY.

And Miss Ross hasn't won a Grammy--which actually might be correct, as Miss Ross TRANSCENDS mere Grammies. :drama:
  12. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Is there a youtube link to Rex being knighted into troll-hood? Pissed that I missed the ceremony!! :p
  13. kedrin

kedrin Active Member

agreed. but other than Diana Ross and Kiss, I'd vote for all of the above.
  14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?????????????????????

Well, perhaps it's a good thing Queen, Bob Marley, The Doors, Led Zeppelin and others I picked never actually won that worthless piece of crap award. It's more like a Razzie, innit. :duh:
  15. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I voted on this poll, but I'd like to add that Gordon Lightfoot has never won a Grammy. He has been nominated, at least, and has won some Junos (the Canadian equivalent of the US Grammies). I know he doesn't have a lot of hit singles (I've always thought of him as an album artist - to appreciate his repertoire, you've got to be familiar with the "other" tracks, not just the few that used to be played on the radio). I enjoy a lot of classic rock & roll, but here is also my "folkie" side coming through.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  16. Auntie

Auntie New Member

I was to trying to figure out which song won the Grammy the year (1975/76) "Bohemian Rhapsody" was released. I don't even think it was nominated!

Grammys are given out for songs released the previous year. Song of the year for 1976 was "Send in the Clowns". For 1977 it was "I Write the Songs" by Barry Manilow.

Record of the year for 1976 was "Love Will Keep Us Together". For 1977 it was "Masquerade" by George Benson.

"Masquerade" is a great song. The rest of the songs are :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:!

Bohemian Rhapsody was inducted to the Grammy hall of fame in 2004.
  17. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Thanks Overedge. That is so cool.
  18. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

:lol: I still have the burn marks from the last time you got on me for dissing Miss Ross, Prancer. :D I think you might have even told me to turn in my gay card!!! :lol:

And folks made Milli Vanilli turn that Grammy back in. Those were someone ELSE's mediocre voices. See, they just saved Miss Ross the trouble by not giving her one in the first place.:p.

She has made some good music, but IMO she never really had the strongest voice. I did like her Lady Sings the Blues album, but that album was produced to work with the limitations of her rather weak vocals. I don't think Janet is much of a singer either.

And I accept this knighthood on behalf of all trolls everywhere!!
  19. paskatefan

question - What is the difference between song of the year and record of the year? Who gets what - the singer? the songwriter?
  20. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Heh... you sound like my buddy, Joe. He's no fan of hers, either. He hates the "c word", but he will use it in reference to her.
  21. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Song of the year is for the song itself, regardless of who is performing it. The record of the year refers to an actual recording (single as opposed to album).
  22. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Brian May is one of the coolest people in the world. He is an astrophysicist, IIRC.
  23. paskatefan

Thanks. :)

So, for song of the year, does the Grammy go to the songwriter?

For record of the year, does the Grammy go to the performer?
  24. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Song of the year is essentially a song writing award. Record of the year goes to performer but perhaps producers also get in on the award?
  25. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Song of the year Grammy goes to the composer(s) only. I think everyone assumed the award should only go to new songs, but in 1992, Irving Gordon won for "Unforgettable", first published in 1951. It was newly recorded by Natalie Cole with old vocals from her Dad added to the recording. I think they changed the rules after that (so that only newly written songs could be nominated), but I haven't found info to back that up.

Record of the year goes to those involved with the recording of the song. Those who win for the recording has changed over the years. From wikipedia:

26. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I've heard that about her too. I know people who have met her and dealt with her, and truth be told, they said it was not a pleasant experience. Although I know of at least one person who met her and liked her. But it's her weak singing voice that I take issue with.
  27. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I'm an awards nut, but the Grammys never appealed to me. I think it's just that there are so many artists out there putting out recordings, and albums that it's really hard to narrow the field down to actually choose what's the best of that year. Also, music is the most subjective artform and really doesn't make any sense, for me, to have an award show. Music either hits you or it doesn't.