Artistic theme

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by fan, Jan 18, 2013.

1. fan

fan Active Member

Hi Everyone,

Looking for ideas for an artistic program. I'm canadian, and looking to do my bronze artistic/interpretive. I'd like to do something either dramatic or comedic. I'm in my 30's, and would like something sophisticated, so cutesy's out. I don't have amazing lines (ie am not balletic), so i'd prefer something powerful or with a bit of acting. I know that I'd like to have a bollywood theme for my silver, and skate to schindler's list for my gold, but I'm out of ideas for the bronze. I feel like both tango and flamenco have been done to death, so I'd rather not.

Any help? It can either be a theme or music suggestion.

Thanks!

2. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Okay here is my old program catalogue of music.

Whatever Lolo Wants is a fun number. And there are a number of different versions of it to choose from. I used both the Gotan Project remix and also the version from the Kinky Boots soundtrack. Same program - just one competition had a shorter time length requirement so the Kinky Boots version fitted with that.

Also one I used years ago was Love Cats by the Cure.

And another fun one is Brian Ferry Let's Stick Together.

3. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Did you wear a tiger-striped bodysuit and wave your tail around like Jerry Hall in the video?

4. Aussie Willy

No I had a purple fake velvet jacket with bright pink furrrrr! I think I would have scared everyone trying to dress like Jerry.

5. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I did an :EVILLE: program a while back to Sibelius' violin concerto, dressed all in black and in goth make-up. It was actually lots of fun -well, for me :lol:. I originally wanted to be Snape, but it turned into a program with lots of crouching, lunges, pancake and broken leg spins...

Something with a good prop, like a swashbuckling program, or Star Wars with a light saber might also work well.

Someone at my rink did These boots are made for walkin' with cowboy boot covers and 60's hair -definitely one of the more memorable programs I've seen. And, I second Aussie's suggestion for Whatever Lola Wants. Kinky boots is such a good movie!

6. overedge

I have to say, I don't think I've seen a single adult competition where someone *didn't* skate to These Boots Are Made for Walking. It's great music to skate to, but I think it's getting a little overused.

7. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

^ Think you're right about that...If the theme itself sounds good, maybe something like My Baby Don't Lie would be better.

8. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Big Spender.

9. Synchkat

Synchkat New Member

How about something from a musical? Wicked has cute music. Victor Victoria has some great music to skate to.

10. overedge

IME that's #2 on the almost-overused list, right behind These Boots.

11. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

At one time it was probably overdone, but not usually performed now so it would be "fresh" - Titanic/My Heart Will Go On? A costume would be easy as well.

12. overedge

It's still pretty common among the adult skaters.

13. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

14. Aussie Willy

15. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

I have always wanting to skate to coin operated boy.

16. fan

fan Active Member

i didn't really want to do something sexy/seductive, so "these boots" and "big spender" are out.

17. Synchkat

Synchkat New Member

Heard "The Good Old Hockey Game" today while having dinner at a diner. A hockey theme would be cute.

18. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

If you want an audience-pleaser, take a well-known song and give it a twist with costume and choreography that tell a completely different story. There's no shortcut to coming up with a good idea, but when you do, it pays off!