Artistic theme

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by fan, Jan 18, 2013.

1. fan

fan Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,

Looking for ideas for an artistic program. I'm canadian, and looking to do my bronze artistic/interpretive. I'd like to do something either dramatic or comedic. I'm in my 30's, and would like something sophisticated, so cutesy's out. I don't have amazing lines (ie am not balletic), so i'd prefer something powerful or with a bit of acting. I know that I'd like to have a bollywood theme for my silver, and skate to schindler's list for my gold, but I'm out of ideas for the bronze. I feel like both tango and flamenco have been done to death, so I'd rather not.

Any help? It can either be a theme or music suggestion.

Thanks!

2. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Okay here is my old program catalogue of music.

Whatever Lolo Wants is a fun number. And there are a number of different versions of it to choose from. I used both the Gotan Project remix and also the version from the Kinky Boots soundtrack. Same program - just one competition had a shorter time length requirement so the Kinky Boots version fitted with that.

Also one I used years ago was Love Cats by the Cure.

And another fun one is Brian Ferry Let's Stick Together.

3. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Did you wear a tiger-striped bodysuit and wave your tail around like Jerry Hall in the video?

4. Aussie Willy

No I had a purple fake velvet jacket with bright pink furrrrr! I think I would have scared everyone trying to dress like Jerry.

5. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I did an :EVILLE: program a while back to Sibelius' violin concerto, dressed all in black and in goth make-up. It was actually lots of fun -well, for me :lol:. I originally wanted to be Snape, but it turned into a program with lots of crouching, lunges, pancake and broken leg spins...

Something with a good prop, like a swashbuckling program, or Star Wars with a light saber might also work well.

Someone at my rink did These boots are made for walkin' with cowboy boot covers and 60's hair -definitely one of the more memorable programs I've seen. And, I second Aussie's suggestion for Whatever Lola Wants. Kinky boots is such a good movie!

6. overedge

I have to say, I don't think I've seen a single adult competition where someone *didn't* skate to These Boots Are Made for Walking. It's great music to skate to, but I think it's getting a little overused.

7. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

^ Think you're right about that...If the theme itself sounds good, maybe something like My Baby Don't Lie would be better.

8. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Big Spender.

9. Synchkat

Synchkat New Member

How about something from a musical? Wicked has cute music. Victor Victoria has some great music to skate to.

10. overedge

IME that's #2 on the almost-overused list, right behind These Boots.

11. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

At one time it was probably overdone, but not usually performed now so it would be "fresh" - Titanic/My Heart Will Go On? A costume would be easy as well.

12. overedge

It's still pretty common among the adult skaters.

13. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

14. Aussie Willy

15. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

I have always wanting to skate to coin operated boy.

16. fan

fan Well-Known Member

i didn't really want to do something sexy/seductive, so "these boots" and "big spender" are out.

17. Synchkat

Synchkat New Member

Heard "The Good Old Hockey Game" today while having dinner at a diner. A hockey theme would be cute.

18. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

If you want an audience-pleaser, take a well-known song and give it a twist with costume and choreography that tell a completely different story. There's no shortcut to coming up with a good idea, but when you do, it pays off!