Artificial Pancreas Looks Promising for Diabetics

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AragornElessar, Jan 29, 2013.

1. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

I did a double take when I first heard about this earlier today, but it does look really promising...

CTV News ~ Artificial pancreas better treatment than pump for diabetes: study

They're now going to do a Clinical Trial based on the same principals of this study, but over a far longer period of testing than this one did. Now...Yes, it's only the beginning and I know things might change when the data from the new and longer over time Trial is looked over after it's done, but...

As I said, it really does look awfully promising.
  2. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

Right but who can afford it, and would insurance cover it?

And how would Obamacare handle this?

Thank you for bringing this up. Some of us just struggle with the thought of the disease. Bring it to light.
  3. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I have a hard time dealing with an article that describe Type 1 diabetes like this:

Wrong. Type 1 diabetes is an auto-immune disease in which the cells responsible for producing insulin are destroyed and do not produce any insulin. And saying that using insulin is key to preventing long-term complications is completely idiotic. Type 1 diabetics use insulin to prevent death, and it's not at all necessarily long-term. Goodness.

I've heard about this particular idea on and off, and while I'm sure it will improve the control over the disease, I am still putting my faith in stem cell research. I don't want something that artificially acts like a pancreas but which you still have to obsess over all the time. I want new islet cells. I've been injecting myself or changing an insulin pump and checking blood sugars and obsessing over what I eat since I was 8 years old. The thought of doing this every day for the rest of my life is beyond wearying.
  4. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Michuru, you're not alone. I've lived with this disease for 41 years and have many complications. I feel like I'm dodging bullets all the time. I really believe that there will be a breakthrough soon. You are young enough that I think you will be able to benefit. I certainly hope so! People really don't get how terrible this disease is.
  5. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

What about an odd case like myself? I'm type 2 but am rather young and very thin. I can't just lose weight although I could exercise more. I think this would be too drastic for someone in my situation.
  6. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

Good for you Michu. My Mom has had it for over 50 years and has had NO complications. She has the pump, but she keeps on keeping on. She has her bad hypo moments which scare us, but she's good. I wish to you the same. My Mom recently went to Boston for a diabetic study, I suppose it was Harvard, where she was tested for everything, because she's 70, a diabetic over 50 years and has zero complications from it. If she can do it, you can do it.