Article: Renowned Royal Glenora skating club shutting down

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Flora, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Flora

Flora Member

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  2. La La Candy

La La Candy New Member

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  3. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

It's just so sad the Club that gave us Kurt and Kristi and so many other wonderful skaters over the years is... :(

4. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

What a story to be reported during nationals!

5. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Skating has always only been a part of the Royal Glenora, and a rather pricey bit at that for those who wished to train there. If the membership decides they don't want to spend the money to repair the rink, there's not much the skaters can do about it. It would be interesting to see if the skating club could reinvent itself and find a new home base in the city. As Flora notes, the Ice Palace is thriving -- but it doesn't have to deal with a members-only facility where the members are responsible for the upkeep of the facility. I hope they find a solution to their problem, but I won't be surprised if they don't.

6. fan

fan Active Member

the toronto cricket club is experiencing the same technical issue, and is shutting down for 2 weeks during march break (which happily coincides with worlds) to fix the issue. I suspect the glenora skaters will be flocking to the BC centre of excellence...

7. Really

Why? Do you think the Royal Glenora is the only club in Alberta capable of training high level skaters?

8. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

I seriously doubt that.

9. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

But you know that everyone at the Cricket Club is just dying to imitate :saint: Yu-Na, and use any reason to find somewhere else to train because the Cricket Club is such a horrible place.

Just don't come on my rink and be shedding single tears all over it :p

10. fan

fan Active Member

not at all. in my limited knowledge in private clubs/elite training facilities in canada, i had made the assumption that this was the geographically closest location for families to send their children - if - they didn't want them to be so far away, yet still want them to be in figure skating only facilities. If there are similar facilities in calgary, which I am not aware of, I would suspect a similar flocking there.

11. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

The Royal Glenora is not a figure-skating only facility.

12. fan

fan Active Member

yes, but it is a private club.

13. Really

So is the Glencoe Club in Calgary. In my experience, people send their kids to these clubs for the coaching, not because they are private. Kaetlyn Osmond has done quite well skating in that lower-class non-private club at West Edmonton Mall. I would expect you would see more going to the Ice Palace than Calgary.

14. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

15. jp1andonly

jp1andonly Well-Known Member

The bc centre of excellence is really one sheet of ice....they do use 1 other one but honestly it isn't that good and there are not a lot of great coaches minus Aaron and megan