Article: Dislocated hip ends Czisny's bid for third U.S. title

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jan 15, 2013.

1. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Very sad! Hope Alissa gets a full recovery. I will miss watching her at the US Nationals.
  2. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

This is quite sad. I can't even imagine how it must feel - to finally be healed and ready to compete again after such a long period off the ice, and then something like this. At least good to know that it's not as bad as it seemed at first.
  3. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I was really in a snarky mood when I posted this. My apologies to IceAlisa. :)
    IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  4. sadya

sadya Active Member

She looked fine in the competition before she was hurt. Her sp was lovely and up until the injury her fs was nice. The jumps seemed allright. She could have had a chance at Worlds this year again with surely a better result than last year. The vids on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBUWG7G0bk4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWtsR8JZMJw

Let's hope and pray she will be well soon and try again next year. You never know what happens, sometimes results are better than you expected.
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Some of us are just being realistic. :p

I do hope I am wrong because I would absolutely love to see Czisny compete in Sochi but two injuries on the same hip... :(
  6. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Yes, that. Not saying it's impossible, because you never know, but if I were a betting man...

At least if the injury turns out to be less severe than expected, it'll be 10 months before she'd have to compete again (or maybe she'll do a summer event).
  7. B.Cooper

B.Cooper New Member

Found an article from 2006...... Funny how somethings just don't change.
    http://www.ocregister.com/sports/-163199--.html
  8. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Thank you, great article. It makes me furious when people say the sport isn't "progressing." At what cost to a skater's body should the sport progress?

Didn't Kimmie skate with a hinged boot, and she had major problems with it?
  9. apatinar

apatinar New Member

I saw a lot of people recording those programs. Does anyone have the full long program video?
  10. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

You want to see her fall and lay on the ice until someone comes out and helps? That's the only thing different on the "full" video from the cut one. I'm guessing that all the other people taping also are showing tact by not posting that either.
  11. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

um...Alissa was injured at Worlds last year...although she did not know it. her hip was already torn. if she was skating as well in practices a as people said I would like to think a spot on the world team would not have been out of the question. especially if she were National Champion
  12. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing the fall, just from clinical standpoint. I've never seen a figure skating fall that caused a hip dislocation before as hip dislocations are generally a rare sports injury. So professionally speaking, I'd like to see the mechanics. An animation of the fall would work too, even better but I doubt it exists.
  13. RD

RD Well-Known Member

My guess is that it wasn't the actual FALL, but rather the initial IMPACT (i.e. the landing) that caused the injury. She may or may not have fallen otherwise, but once the hip dislocated, a fall (that she wouldn't get up from) was inevitable.

ETA: of course, no way to know for sure without actually seeing up close and in slow-mo the sequence of events.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  14. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Frequently, it is caused by the hip muscles not being strong enough to keep the ball of the hip in the socket. A hard impact usually causes the dislocation.
  15. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

I saw the video before it was removed/edited. The fall happened pretty far across the rink and there wasn't anything that stood out iirc aside from her not getting up (at least not from that distance).
  16. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

I feel bad for Alissa but it wouldn't be untactful to show the whole video. There are videos all over youtube of skaters/athletes getting injured. Is that untactful? Is anyone going to complain and have them removed? Competitions happen in a public setting, not in the athlete's private home.

I already saw the original video and you couldn't even see anything because the video was so bad. It just looked like a regular fall.
  17. Nikki Lee

Nikki Lee New Member

In other words, she fell BECAUSE her hip dislocated. Terrible.

Sometimes people fall because their bone gives way, as in pathologic fractures that can be the result of cancer metastasis or osteoporosis.
  18. ChiquitaBanana

ChiquitaBanana New Member

The hip ligaments (reading its capsule) and the articulation's configuration (congruency) are responsible for the major part of its stability. The hip is the most stable joint in the human bodu. Frail old ladies may fall hard on their hip and get a fracture, no dislocation even though they have not much muscle mass...
  19. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Totally agree. There was very little to see from so far away. I hope someone on her team was doing a recording... Just so SHE could see it.

I am very glad they took it down. There was imo nothing to be gleaned from it... Just ghoulish curiosity satisfaction.
  20. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

Well, putting in my two cents. I used to be super flexible, I had an I position on both legs, which basically was pulling my legs out of the sockets. When I hit late 30s I lost most of it, but thank god. Alissa is super flexible, her I spins if they aren't pulling that leg from her hip, well, she's superhuman. Eventually age creeps up on you. I'd venture to guess her femur can very easily be displaced. Mine were. If she does come back, I'd no longer expect an I spin and her spirals will also lose the amplitude. I wish to her not just a speedy recovery, but maybe a realization that she's no longer young enough to consistently contort her body without ramifications. It happens to the best of us.
  21. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

We all know that. Thus you posting like you are walking around with your head firmly imbedded up your rump.

In regards to Alissa, she is indeed a beautiful, graceful skater who has given some wonderful moments to fans throughout her career. IF her career is over, I wish her the best in any future endeavors, as she seems to be a very mature, intelligent and gracious young lady. If her career isn't over, I wish her health and luck next season, and a beautiful return to the ice.
  22. Skittl1321

If it happened at Nationals or the Olympics, I wouldn't be too surprised to see it replayed all over the place. But it happened at a tiny competition, where, despite an internationally known skater competing the stands were still barely peppered with spectators (and I bet that was close to everyone who was in the building at the time. At a regionals I went to, the building flocked to see Rohene Ward do his skate, with rumors he might be doing a quad, including skaters half-dressed in their costumes with events coming up. I can't imagine the extent people would go to get to see Czisny at a local non-qual comp.) But for the most part, it was a small competition that people wouldn't see- as private as comps go.

That said, I personally find it incredibly tacky when places like ESPN show over and over videos of athletes getting hurt. It makes me sad for the athletes and sad for their family and friends. Even more so when the injury is serious. I cannot imagine having to see, and other people watching over and over, a video of me breaking my neck, and it happened in a public place. I know I'm not a public figure, but public figures deserve respect too.
    Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Alex Forrest

Oh dear Kasey, like you would know anything about flexibility. You probably have trouble lifting your leg high enough to pee on a fire hydrant or tree. LOL.

Ad hominems go both ways, old girl.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  24. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Ahh darling; living proof that no, you haven't seen me at any skating competition any time in the last several years. Perhaps your FSU spies or yourself are not fully up to date? Such a shame, when there are so many other things to insult me with, that you pick the one thing that no longer is applicable. Que sera sera.
  25. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

Phil Hersh just tweeted that Alissa underwent surgery today for her dislocated hip.
  26. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

:( ((((Alissa's hip)))))
  27. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

28. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

Here is more info on the surgery from Lynn Rutherford via USFS:

My best wishes go out to Alissa for a complete recovery.
  29. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Joining the best wishes for Alissa's recovery from surgery.
  30. Alex Forrest

Surgery? Oh man, bad news realistically. Two surgeries in a matter of months? Same hip? I think Alissa is a gorgeous beautiful skater and spinner when she's not competing. And she's CoverGirl pretty. There is a place for her in skating, but I think Olympic dreams are over. Very sad, but the body does catch up with you, especially now in this sport where being bendy is almost required.

I apologize above for the catty comment. It's funny when you put someone on ignore, and then you always STILL see that they posted. I only had like one or two on ignore, yet this one ALWAYS shows up. I thought Ignore meant you see NADA of them. So finally I clicked on, thinking I didn't say anything remotely negative or nasty, and there she is, STILL making personal attacks at me. Like, honey, do you have a life? From the looks of things you don't. So I totally apologize, the ignore is back on for good, because what are the odds that I click on it's not another personal attack? Ugliness comes from the inside and is exponentiated on the outside. I am too scared to see what this person looks like, tbh. And sorry again, I didn't name names, didn't say I ignored X. No names. But I am sorry because you should hear my girlfriends and I talk, they are even worse to supposed threats and I play moderator. I'm not getting this overt nastiness from someone I've never met. I would venture to guess many former athletes know that feeling of stretching you leg out of its hip socket for that better extension, no? Well, I did, and was praised for my extension. Except around 30, it just wasn't happening, and everytime I pushed it I heard a scratch or a pull or a weird sound knowing that I exceeded my physical capability. And yet ingore lady still makes a personal attack. Funny that. But I was out of line, but I felt I needed to explain the backstory. The private messages were even worse. I can take it, as well as I can give it, but I thought this person was umm, too committed to her anger and nastiness than I was comfortable with, even she says she loves babies. Heck, I love babies too, and am the best 40 y/o babysitter to my friends' kids, so long as they are home by midnight. I don't feed or change diapers after midnight. That's someone else's issue... :)

But let's get back to Alissa once and for all.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  31. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Not sure how Alissa is going to be able to come back with two surgeries in less then a year on the same hip. The body can only take so much.
  32. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Wishing Alissa well.
  33. Lainerb

Lainerb New Member

Hypermobility is both a blessing and a curse in that one can achieve beautiful positions, but often at the cost of joint stability and injury. It's not so fun anymore when one starts to suffer from joint subluxation or worse in Alissa's case. I know from my own experiences that this may be long recovery and I wish her the best.
  34. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Another surgery on the same hip... :(
  35. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Why didn't she take this whole season off? :(

It's not constructive for me to second guess her, but I want to ask if there was pressure on her to compete. She apparently wanted much to redeem herself (with or without pressures), but I'm wondering if somebody could have been a good influence on her and suggested she get ready for the Olympics with a season away from competition.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  36. Skittl1321

If there was pressure to compete, I think that it likely was internal pressure as much as any possible external pressure. She is an elite athlete that understands momentum is important to figure skaters- she needed to be able to go into the Olympic year with a strong showing this year. And clearly, based on the fact that she attended the practice competition, her training had been going well before she was reinjured, so she thought she could compete.
  37. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

She didnt take the whole season off most likely because she was ready to compete. That simple. I saw her the week before her injury in practice and she looked like she never took any time off. Huge lutzes, monster flips, clean run throughs.

Also, there is a chance she's less concerned about this so called redemption lol. That redemption statement is dripping with the baggage of her disappointments. Alissa most likely just wants to move forward. I want her too as well. She's the sweetest girl ever and a beautiful skater. Redemption just obligates her to her past. She's probably just ready for her future. Just a guess
  38. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I know the youtube vid of her competition in WI was not HDTV, but her jumps really did look bigger than ever. I was not expecting that!
  39. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

Because hindsight is 20/20.

While it seems pretty obvious now that she came back too soon, that doesn't mean it was obvious at the time. I know people like to have someone or something to blame when things go wrong but sometimes no one did anything stupid or made any bad decisions and bad stuff happens anyway.
    TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  40. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member