1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article about the 1st woman from the United Arab Emirates to compete internationally

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Oh so I imagine Zsolt Kerekes has relocated to UAE now. Interesting.

2. Sylvia

Sylvia Preparing for U.S. club comp. season!

Latest article about Zahra Lari (UAE): http://gulfnews.com/sport/other-sports/emirati-figure-skater-zahra-lari-melts-hearts-1.1299998
    Lari scored 66.74 total in the Junior Ladies event at the 25th Sportland Trophy in Budapest this past weekend (ETA that I've created a competition results thread in the Kiss and Cry forum), which was an improvement from her 62.23 total at the 2014 New Year's Cup in Bratislava in January. More significantly, she was credited with landing a 2A in the SP (her first in international competition?) in Budapest (she fell on the 2A, called rotated, in the FS as well in both programs in Bratislava).

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

That's fantastic news, thanks Sylvia!

Kerekes used to coach in the Netherlands and from what I heard, he is a pretty good coach indeed so it will be great not just for Lari but also other skaters there.

4. sadya

sadya Active Member

Thank you for sharing all the news. Very much appreciated.

5. Sylvia

6. Sylvia

Zsolt Kerekes is also coaching UAE's Amira Abdul Moati, age 14, who competed as a junior internationally this past season, according to this May 2014 local article: http://m.gulfnews.com/sport/just-another-step-to-stardom-1.1336428
    Another article (April 2014): http://m.gulfnews.com/sport/ice-cool-amira-eyes-stardom-in-the-rink-1.1323430

This recent article mentions that Moati holds dual citizenship (her mother is Russian, her father Egyptian) and would like to represent Egypt at the 2018 Olympics if Egypt can become a member of the ISU: http://www.thenational.ae/uae/tourism/uae-ice-skating-teen-sets-her-sights-on-2018-winter-olympics

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  7. lala

lala Well-Known Member

8. Sylvia

Bumping this up after 8 months (Ziggy, I still really miss reading your posts in threads like this one)...

I came across this English article on Amira Abdul Moati in an Egyptian publication that was published in December 2014: http://egypttoday.com/blog/2014/12/11/amira-abdul-moati/
    Excerpt:
    Moati (UAE) competed in Volvo Open Cup in Latvia in May 2014 and placed 5th of 5 (65.17 total score) in the Junior Ladies A category.
    SP protocol: http://kristalice.lv/Results/Volvo24th/VOCUP24_JuniorALadies_SP_Scores.pdf
    FS protocol: http://kristalice.lv/Results/Volvo24th/VOCUP24_JuniorALadies_FS_Scores.pdf

Zahra Lari, the original subject of this thread, competed in Senior Ladies at Challenge Cup in The Hague this week and placed 11th of 11:
    11 Zahra LARI UAE 59.16 12 11

She's currently incorrectly listed under 2 different names in the ISU's Season Technical Scores list which hopefully will be corrected in the near future:

Zahra LARY UAE Sportland Trophy 2014 04.03.2013 10.58 J Sportland Trophy 2014 04.03.2013 17.23 J
    Nahid YUSEF UAE Dubai Golden Cup 2014 05.05.2014 15.08 J Dubai Golden Cup 2014 05.05.2014 19.60 J
    Lari ZAHRA UAE Dubai Golden Cup 2014 05.05.2014 13.48 J New Year Cup 2014 03.01.2014 20.31 J
    (I assume Moati is not yet listed here because she has yet to compete in a junior international that meets the minimum entries standard.)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  9. Sylvia

Here's the announcement for a new ISU international competition called FBMA Trophy that will also serve as the UAE National Championship in April 2015:
    http://www.uaeihf.ae/images/5ec4a1d4799252c6d4e17153e0141db0.doc
    It's linked from this page of the UAE Ice Sports Federation website: http://www.uaeihf.ae/news.php?type=7&active=9
    (I came across this comp. when I noticed that an Australian skater is scheduled to compete here.)

"The UAE Ice Sports Federation
    and
    The Fatima Bint Mubarak Ladies Academy
    is honored to welcome you to the first FBMA Trophy
    April 3-5, 2015

This ISU International Figure Skating Competition is for
    Senior, Junior, Advanced Novice, Basic Novice A, Basic Novice B (Ladies / Men)
    Venue: Abu Dhabi Ice Rink (an indoor heated ice-rink with the ice surface of 60 x 30 m)"

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  10. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Well-Known Member

gkelly, skatesindreams and Sylvia like this.
  11. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

^ That was a surprise!

N_Halifax likes this.
  12. Sylvia

13. Sylvia

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  14. Sylvia

New article on Zahra Lari in The National (Abu Dhabi Media's first English-language publication): http://www.thenational.ae/arts-lifestyle/well-being/my-sport-zahra-lari-professional-figure-skater

MR-FAN likes this.
  15. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Well-Known Member

I adore Zahra Lari and how she's not only a trailblazer for skaters in the UAE, but also women who choose to wear the hijab and want to skate. And everything about her look in that picture is stunning! :swoon: Too bad to hear she had injuries this season, but I hope to hear good news for the upcoming season for her!

livetoskate, Cachoo and MR-FAN like this.
  16. Sylvia

skatesindreams, Jun Y and MR-FAN like this.
  17. overedge

overedge not your emotional support turkey

Those are great outfits she is wearing in the photos. I'm sure there are some traditionalists (for lack of a better word) who would find something about them to object to, but IMHO they are feminine and attractive while still meeting the standards of modesty.

skatesindreams, Jun Y and MR-FAN like this.
  18. Sylvia

I feel like every spring a Zahra Lari article pops up :): http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/zahra-lari-figure-skating-olympics_us_5706817ae4b0b90ac27169e7

The only international competition I see listed for her so far this season was the FBMA Trophy 2016 in Abu Dhabi (5th place of 5). ETA: In that comp., she landed 1A and attempted 4 doubles (landed a toe, sal & loop but not flip). She fell on a 3S<< in her SP.

ETA #2 - her current ISU minimum technical element scores are from last year's FBMA Trophy (where she was credited with landing a clean 2A in her SP):
    Zahra LARI UAE FBMA Trophy 2015 03.04.2015 13.63 S
    FBMA Trophy 2015 03.04.2015 20.07 S

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  19. overedge

overedge not your emotional support turkey

20. Artifice

Artifice New Member

Well, Vanessa Giunchi chose to skate that way to serve her artistic purpose. The hijab is not for artistic purpose and the girl has to wear it, she has no choice, even if she doesn't feel confortable with it.

21. sadya

sadya Active Member

Artifice, we don't know why Lari wears a hijab, as far as I know, she hasn't explained it so we can't say anything for sure. People wear it for different reasons. Yes, some females do get in trouble with their family or the society they live in, if they take it off. Other females however want to wear it, reasons for choosing for a hijab can be to show to which faith they belong, or to dress so modestly that even their hair doesn't show or even as a fashion trend. Wearing hijab for fashion is why you see certain hijabi's wearing very tight clothes with it or still showing more skin despite the hijab. Hey it hides a bad hair day too. ;)

As far as choosing it for faith goes, covering your hair isn't literally mentioned in any verse. The only verses about your looks when in company of people outside your family members just talk about dressing modestly and not showing your 'beauty' to everyone. Beauty has a different meaning for every individual, it can be your voice, it can be your hair, it can be your eyes, or your voice, or your body shape, anything. That's why you see many females not wearing hijab and still being faithfull muslims while others cover themselves so much, you don't even see their face. Everyone gives a different meaning to 'beauty'. What many people, including many muslims themselves often forget is that it's supposed to be more than just dress code, your behaviour counts too.

Instead of people focusing on why a female is dressed almost naked and why another female has covered herself (almost) entirely, we should worry about females having the chance to decide for themselves how they'd like to dress. Someone showing a lot of skin or no skin at all shouldn't be the issue, someone being forced to show skin or to cover it up should be the real issue. Just like we are allowed to like or dislike the clothing of other people, they should be allowed to wear it if they want to.

Anyway, I'm sorry for digressing, but I felt it's important to clarify this issue and I hope we can all just focus on figure skating. That's what Zahra Lari is doing, she's trying to get people to focus on her skating instead of only her hijab.

22. Artifice

Artifice New Member

Two things :
    In the Emirates women are obliged to cover themselves, so this skater has actually no choice.
    Second thing, if she doesn't want people to speak about her special outfit, she can change it, people will then focus only on her skating.
    One last thing is that it's for sure people are not paying attention to her skating since there is nothing outsanding in it for an international skater. People pay attention because of where she comes from and the way she presents herself.

MAXSwagg and Spun Silver like this.
  23. jiejie

jiejie Well-Known Member

Can't entirely agree with this. I agree with your last sentence: where she comes from and the way she presents herself is out-of-the-mainstream and that does pique one's interest. But speaking only for myself about your first sentence above, I do pay attention to her skating. Specifically, whether she can improve fast enough to get to international minimums that would at least allow her to compete at the level she desires, or at least enough to do respectably at Senior B's. She must be about 20 now and is fighting age just trying to get her doubles solid and maybe a triple or two. So yeah, there's part of me that's saying "you go girl" and checking the protocols of the few international competitions she's been in, to see what she's been able to do.

As far as what she's wearing, I find it ceases to be a novelty after about 5 seconds. It simply doesn't bother me (actually I think her costumes look rather cool.)

24. Artifice

Artifice New Member

As for me I don't think that wearing a hijab is "cool". Women in islamist countries are victims of chariah, they are killed, raped, beaten,... when they don't wear the hijab, or even for no reason at all. I don't like the fact of accepting such outfit in sport. Sport should be a way to liberate people, not a way to promote their allienation.

25. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

That certain things can be used to oppress doesn't mean that they necessarily oppress everyone, or that women who dress modestly are being alienated. Not accepting such clothing in sports would be a barrier for participation by the women who dress this way. Now that actually would lead to alienation.

I know women who cover their hair and are smart, driven and successful. Their faith is an important part of their lives, but their dress does not define them. I think there's an important message in that, and in stories like Zahra Lari's: that being religious and dressing in a way that communicates this clearly does not and should not impede women from pursuing their goals and their dreams.

26. allezfred

allezfred Ragin' for equality Staff Member

Because excluding someone from participating in a sport because you don't like what they wear is not alienating at all. :shuffle:

27. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Yes, she is a bridge between two worlds. Sometimes there are things more important than the skating itself.
    I know a few women who choose to be covered. They feel liberated as they made the choice. The choice wasn't made for them. But I understand your protests regarding women who do not have any choice in the matter. It is complicated. I want to see this young woman at the Olympics.

28. jiejie

jiejie Well-Known Member

You seem to have joined this forum to promote some sort of personal agenda, not to talk about skating per se. And you misquoted me, I said I thought her costumes were cool. Perhaps to make it absolutely clear to you: I think how she incorporates her hijab into the totality of the skating costume, is "cool." Partly because until I'd seen the photos of her, I wouldn't have thought it could work. Whatever her reasons/motivations are for wearing hijab, is up to her and perhaps her family and federation. If she has made the decision that it works for her and her skating, why should I be one to pass judgment on her?

It is completely unfair of you to come on here, take others' words, and then twist them around--the implication that by not condemning her use of hijab on the ice, that we are somehow condoning mistreatment of women in the Muslim world. At least that's what I'm getting out of your posts. Frankly, it's insulting.

Perhaps you should take a step back and decide whether a skating forum is the appropriate outlet for your unhappiness, or whether a more politically-oriented forum would be a better match.

sadya, Really and overedge like this.
  29. allezfred

allezfred Ragin' for equality Staff Member

There was a poster with the same name years ago who posted in a similar style.........

30. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

If the girl wants to skate in a restraining attire, and cover her head, let her. No skin off anyone's nose. There are several sports where athlete, and dance companies wear the same style unitards.
    http://www.onstagedancewear.com/images\p\3637\3637-thickbox_default.jpg
    speed skating, sleds.....
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...iv_Bild_183-1988-1211-006,_Gunda_Kleemann.jpg

As long as her Federation does not try to keep "men out of the arena" and make the event "females only allowed", i don't give a damn.
    But who knows how far they will go once given "a bit"..... give a finger, they ask for an arm?
    Last time there was an attempt to make several beaches in Italy "all female beaches"...... and that's not right!
    First they started to innocently to vacation in Italy...... and then they insisted that Italy (!!!???) creates "all women beaches" and bans men, and swimmers from the territory of the water overlooking the beach.....
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2006/aug/04/italy.travelnews

Let the girl skate in whatever she wants, if it does not hurt other skaters.... As long as it stops with "She wears what she wants", and not "others must adhere to her religion".

sadya, bronwynsings and StitchMonkey like this.