Article about the 1st woman from the United Arab Emirates to compete internationally

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

This article about Zahra Lari, age 17, has been widely distributed online in the past week: http://english.alarabiya.net/articles/2012/04/17/208359.html
    More info about the competition, European Cup (part of the European Criterium series), can be found in the Kiss and Cry forum: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=83360

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

That is great news! :respec:

Great that women can skate in trousers/unitards now, nothing stopping the costumes from being 'modest'.

Theoretically a hijab should not be allowed in ISU competitions though, given it's a prop isn't it (being detachable)?

I definitely do not want to discuss the political aspects of this (that's what PI is for), just making a technical point about the rules.

Skaters never cover their heads and only used hats and similar when they were explicitly allowed to do so given the Short Dance theme.

I imagine (and hope) that no referee would actually enforce that rule against a girl who chose to skate in a hijab, though.

3. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

4. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Thanks, pingu! :)

Here are 2 articles that were published about Zahra Lari before she left for Italy:

http://www.thenational.ae/archived/sport/emirati-teen-skates-into-history-books
    I assume UAE first would have to become a member of the ISU in order for her to have the opportunity to qualify for the Winter Olympics?

http://www.emirates247.com/sports/o...e-history-at-european-cup-2012-04-05-1.452419
    Photo of Lari with her coaches, Noemi Bedo and Tunde Gal, in Canazei, Italy: http://sports.yahoo.com/oly/photos?slug=2b0f2c31aa77232eee8824d48cadc73c-getty-510236915

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  5. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I think a prop only becomes a prop when it's actually detached and used. If it stays attached to the costume, that's not a problem.

6. Nadya

Nadya New Member

Good for her, maybe it will be a first step toward mainstreaming figure skating in the Gulf.

Although realistically, the culture militates against it for several reasons:

1. Figure skating costumes are really not Shariah-compliant, and if they are, they are unwatchable. It's not just about the headcover.

2. She'll be seen as someone with an American mother, therefore not 100% Arab.

3. Clearly comes from a very liberal family.

Still, good for her. Her next challenge is to actually move from a curiosity status to a viable competitor status.

7. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

Is this a little bit different third article:

http://gulfnews.com/sport/other-sports/emirati-girl-makes-history-1.1010480

She sure is getting attention, great! Good luck to her with her goals.

8. Orable

Orable Well-Known Member

I love that they described her outfit as "sober." :lol: I was hoping for more hijabis to get into figure skating after the ISU allowed pants for ladies in competition and it looks like it's starting :)
    What's not Sharia-compliant about her outfit? It's a little tight, sure, but I've definitely seen hijabis wearing tighter clothes in public. And of course, Muslims love to get our sparkle on, so there's that...

Lanna and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Nadya

Nadya New Member

I was wondering about the sober thing too, I wonder if they meant "somber." It's a little out there to infer that orange tutus are drunk, non?

There's nothing wrong with her outfit in my eyes. But conventional interpretation of Shariah compliance is that female outfits cannot draw attention to the body. And without emphasizing beautiful lines, there is no figure skating. The fatwa factory crowd will for sure be throwing a hissy fit because she's "displaying herself" for all and sundry. At one of the forums I read, there was an indignant comment of "if she's that determined to skate, why couldn't she do it where no unrelated males could see her?" I was like, ummm...sure....I hear imaratis are all filthy rich...maybe her Dad can buy her a skating rink where she'll skate in total solitude.

I hope that she will inspire more girls to get into skating, and I hope that she will not get more flack than she can easily bear.

10. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

Photos and protocols from an event in Dubai last year are on the skating clubs homepage http://www.queenoficeworld.org/v1/ from the pictures all the girls seem to be in normal skating dresses without any head cover. It's great that there are skating opportunites for the kids there.

11. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Yes, but it looks like a lot of those kids are from expat families. And IIRC Dubai is relatively liberal in the Middle East regarding how women dress.

12. Rottie

Rottie Well-Known Member

She looks terrific. How wonderful that she loves the sport and is able to pursue her dream.

13. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

14. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Actually what's covering her head is no different than this and as long as it remains as part of the costume, she can call it what ever she wants, it would be legal. I'm more surprised her father doesn't have a problem with the nude illusion fabric.

Good for her! :D

15. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

I don't know--even KSA has female athletes competing internationally in pants and hijab.

16. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

And Iran too. I don't think she's going to get any flack from most Muslims. Maybe some extremely conservative Muslims in the minority but that'll probably be it.

:respec: to her btw! I think this is great. I really hope it'll encourage other hijabis to enter the sport.

17. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

The second picture where her outfit is grey, black and blue, it's very tight and revealing. Hope she will not get in trouble with the hardliners. Figure skating does attract the eyes to the body line like few other sports do.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I know doing things yourself and teaching them are two very different things but I can't help but remember that Tunde Gal never managed to even land a 2axel in competition when she was competing IIRC. :p

19. A judge

A judge New Member

and Krall never landed any quads either. lol

20. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Good on her. We've had skaters from Iran competing at the World Roller Championships since about 2008 (I think). They also wear the hijab. They were so welcomed by the audience and other skaters it was really wonderful to see. By the end of the week these quiet very shy young girls were getting their photos taken with World Champions and were just beaming with joy. Coaches from all over the world were also introducing themselves to the Iranian coaches and giving them tips and advice. It was one of the mot memorable experiences from that week.

21. Nadya

Nadya New Member

The government of Saudi Arabia does not endorse any of its citizen female athletes entering or performing in international athletic competitions as a matter of policy. Any Saudi national women competing are doing it on their own initiative and volition.

22. Nadya

Nadya New Member

Hit send too soon - you must be thinking of other Gulf countries like Bahrain or UAE. Not KSA.

23. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

No, KSA. There's at least one Saudi woman vying for an Olympic berth this summer in equestrian, and then there's the female soccer/football team that competes internationally IIRC. There may be others, but those are the ones that I recall from KSA.

24. Nadya

Nadya New Member

Dalma Malhas is the Saudi equestrian athlete who competed in the Youth Olympics outside of the official Saudi delegation. Again, KSA does not sponsor or endorse female participation in international sporting events. Any Saudi female athletes competing internationally do so representing themselves. See here http://www.emirates247.com/sports/o...-women-to-olympics-report-2012-04-05-1.452488

Dalma lives in Italy and has probably not stepped foot in KSA for quite some time.

Have never heard of an internationally competitive female soccer team - do you have a link you can share?

25. Nadya

Nadya New Member

26. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

Getting this thread back on track, I'm happy for Lari. She's a pioneer and shows that hijab does not have to be an impediment to participating in figure skating. Plus, this is also great for figure skating in that region. Hopefully, there will be other girls and women who follow in her footsteps.

27. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

I remember Vanessa Giunchi covered her hair almost completely with some really large hairband/headband/shaul/scarf, skating her beautiful Schindler's list program back in 2001. The hijab shouldn't be a problem at all. Way to go girl, I'm very happy for her:):)

28. JanetB

JanetB Well-Known Member

Does a hijab have to be black?

29. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I don't think so ... at least they certainly are not all black around here (in central Illinois).

30. Orable

Orable Well-Known Member

In fact, most are not :) Google "colorful hijab" and check it out. :glamor: