Art on Ice 2013 (Lambiel, Savchenko/Szolkowy, Volosozhar/Trankov, Arakawa & more)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

2. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Tell them to come to North America too!

3. sleepypanda

sleepypanda Member

4. lily

lily Active Member

5. lily

lily Active Member

6. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

I am going to see it in Helsinki on Saturday!:rollin:
    Will surely report something.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  7. nursebetty

nursebetty New Member

I second the North America thing. The video of Lambiel was incredible and Savchenko/Szolkowy are my favorite pair.

8. maija

maija Well-Known Member

Me, too!!! Can't wait! :D

9. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

10. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

I can't see the videos! Shizuka is incredible, yes!

11. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

^I remember seeing a vid of Shiz a couple of years back, doing a MONSTER 3z-3r combo in a show - if anything, her jumps look better now than they did for a fair bit of her amateur career. Somehow. It's pretty amazing.

OMG YESSS

Thank you!

12. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

13. Fudove

Fudove Member

I third it!

14. maija

maija Well-Known Member

The show in Helsinki was GREAT!

15. Finnice

Wow, the show in Helsinki was splendid, though they had lot of diffuculties on the raod. The cargo was too full, so their plane was 5 hours late and they all were thinking that they have to cancel it. It started 15 min late, the audience got nervous,and the first 45 minutes before the tv-part started was a bit tentative. But then the fun started!

Shizuka Arakawa is still very very elegant and her Ina Bauer is the best in the bussiness. She jumped some soft 2a´s. Sotnikova has already a good show charisma. Meier and Korpi were good, and Kiira is recovering well and aims to London in March.

I could live without the acrobats and moderators, but I guess they are part of the original show concept. Two cellos were furious in a good way, and Leona Lewis has a great voice and enjoyed being part of the skating show. Amodio was greatly loved by the audience, and Berntsson is still a good entertainer. It was nice to have him in Helsinki. We did not have any ice dancers, but we had two best pairs in the world. I have to admid that Volosozhar and Trankov outshined Savchenko and Szolkowy this time. Trankov seemed to finally have fixed his death spiral position and they were macigal in many ways. S/S did some great throw jumps in a row, wow!

I don´t have enough words to describe Lambiel. I would pay big money to just see him glide on the ice, and maybe do a spin or two. He is an artist, and you just see how he puts is soul in what he does.

It is a great great show. Really something you will remember long time afterwards.:shizuka1::cheer::rollin:

16. apatinar

apatinar Active Member

who is that woman in the background flapping her arms in the swan costume while Shizuka is skating? so ridiculous looking!

17. maija

maija Well-Known Member

Yes! I can't agree more!

18. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

I also went last night and had a good time... although I will admit that this gala was further proof for me that I just tend to enjoy competitions more because of the thrill. It was nice and all but I just don't get as excited as I do when it's a competition. I could totally live without the non-skating parts with the storytelling and so on but I understand that the general public tends to like it.

Really enjoyed Sotnikova! She's an amazing performer for her age and it really came across well in gala numbers. :)

My first time seeing Arakawa! :cheer: At first I thought her skating seemed a bit slacky somehow but I actually really loved the last number she did with Leona Lewis singing (Moment Like This or something). Her costume had a million swarovskis and the lighting along with the music was perfect. And her Ina is gorgeous.

Lambiel is as good as it gets but I was so disappointed that he didn't do his signature scratch spin. Or not fully at least - he always opened it after a few rotations instead of continuing for 10 seconds or so - I loved it when he used to do that.

So happy to see Kiira on ice. It must mean that she's doing at least somewhat better (IIRC she wasn't able to even go on the ice a month ago?). She did some good 2axels too. I desperately want her to be healthy and hopefully be able to skate at Worlds.

S/S and V/T were both as good as you can expect. Usually I prefer S/S but here I actually thought V/T's numbers were nicer. They did a huge 2twist that made the audience gasp and also some beautiful throws and death spirals.

Oh, and Kris Berntsson is always fun! :cheer:

19. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

Just realized that I completely forgot to add my number one comment from the show: that during the "sophisticated" crowd pleaser numbers by Amodio :)scream:) I was tempted to text Finnice something along the lines of a barf emoticon. Give me Viktor Pfeifer's short program any time over this.

20. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Of course, you can look at it the way you want, but you make it seem like spins are the most important thing in his skating. Which is very far from the truth, in my opinion. I can very well imagine Lambiel doing a beautiful program without any spins. His spins are not as fast as they used to be, anyway.

21. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I am really surprised that Leona Lewis was part of this tour. I guess after the total failure of her last album, not like she has better opportunities. :p

How did it work? Did she sing whilst somebody was skating, or between performances?

22. lily

lily Active Member

Didn't know Leona is that bad. Aren't they all more or less the same? Leona sang and skaters skated, in the same time like it always is in such shows.

23. Finnice

The concept of Art on Ice tour is that the skaters skate to live music and interact with the musicians. At its best it can really become a real connection. I am not very familiar with Lewis´music, but she sang well live, and the last number with Lambiel was very good. At least she was not embarassing.

Hanna, I was thinking about you and the lack of sophistication during Amodio´s performances.;)

24. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Leona Lewis is an absolutely incredible singer.

What I meant was, her last album was a commercial failure. It sold really badly and the promotional campaign was a complete disaster. It went totally wrong from the start with the "Collide" fiasco (Avicii threatening to sue and the song being released as Leona Lewis / Avicii in the end), then the album release was cancelled and pushed forward 6 months to record some new tracks. And in the end we got something really bland and terrible. I think her label had absolutely no clue how to market her and what direction to lead her in. In the end it was just a total mess all round.

25. lily

lily Active Member

Oops from your first post I got an impression you don't like her. She was really nice singer live, yes.
    Here is possible to see her interaction with a skater - it's finnish TV broadcast.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ1j3CxNmOA

26. skatingfanfun

skatingfanfun New Member