Arnold and Maria split after 25 years

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by skipaway, May 10, 2011.

1. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Ahh, the Kennedy men don't have to get married (or they can get married and have hot monkey sex with someone other than their wife,) but I suspect there is a different standard for the women.

2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

You have a keen eye for the obvious. ;) I do like deconstructing the "OMG, it's a toxin" argument though. Saying that someone may not choose to do injections no matter how safe is fine; that's obvious and true. The reasons include but are not limited to: some people are scared of needles, some people don't care if they get wrinkles and volume loss and many can't afford it.

Saying that they are not doing it because it's a "toxin" is misinformed. Lidocaine that the dentist injects to do work on teeth is a neurotoxin as well.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  3. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

LOL, my favorite moment in the Reelz series "The Kennedys"--JFK's about to get married, and Joe Sr's advice amounts to "Remember, now you're married, no rubbing the girlfriends in your wife's face" and RFK is bug-eyed with horror and says "No! Jack, you're making your vows in front of the altar and God" and JFK and Joe stare at him like he has two heads. Fidelity? That's for the little people...

4. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Well, I think you entirely misinterpreted my initial statement (which was about people who didn't want to have "substances/toxins" injected into their face) -- the emphasis was never intended as "OMG -- injecting TOXINS!!!!!" I was just being more specific than I needed to be and should have just left it at the generic "substances" and saved any specifying to "for cosmetic purposes." Botox IS a neurotoxin, which as you have noted, has medical as well as cosmetic uses.
    Yes, and most would consider the analgesic relief to outweigh any possible negative side effects or "fear of needles", although some have such an aversion to injections that they prefer nitrous oxide for dental work.

5. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

There's a rumor that Kerry Kennedy cheated on Andrew Cuomo when they were married...so it may not just be the Kennedy men.

6. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

You did mention toxins, so I understood it that being a toxin matters to you, otherwise you would have left it out.
    Again, so what? Water can be toxic if you misuse it, see the Wee for Wii death. Tylenol has just been linked to blood cancers. Why does it matter that it's a toxin, that's what I don't understand. It's just like any other pharmaceutical and is safer than a lot of them. Pretty much any biologically active substance can be a toxin if misused/abused.
    So you are saying pain free dentistry is more important to some than their appearance. That's fair but I am not sure how relevant.

7. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I wish them both well.

8. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Clearly we have a failure to communicate that appears to be resistant to attempts at clarification. Your initial post mentioned facial fillers and Botox; my reply said "substances/toxins" in an attempt to address injections of both fillers and Botox. I should have just left it with the generic "substances" to cover both (if I had more knowledge of what substances are used for facial fillers I would have used a more specific term in tandem with toxins). I said it was an attempt to be more specific (and a not very parallel construction), but you persist in believing that the matter of Botox being a toxin is what matters, even when I have stated that the practice of injections for cosmetic purposes was all that I had in mind.
    No, that's not what I am saying -- I never made any attempt to link rejection of injections for cosmetic purposes and the desire for pain free dentisty, much less ranking their importance to anyone. At this point, it seems to me pointless to pursue trying to clarify to you what I meant, so I will let the thread progress to other more fruitful discussion.

9. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Even when the kids are older and even if divorce may clearly be the best option, it's still hard on a family when the parents split. I wish the family well and hope they can maintain a friendly relationshiop for the sake of the kids, no matter what the reason for the separation.

10. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

Twenty five years is a pretty darn good run, relatively speaking. My money is on Maria being the one who is through. She's 55, which is in the age range women are, as a group, rather inclined to divorce. It's an age where the kids are mostly grown and often gone, so that focus is gone, and women start looking at their husbands in terms of spending the rest of their lives alone with this guy. :yikes: She made that YouTube video a while back asking for advice on transitions, and I thought "She's done with Ahnold."

11. JILEN

JILEN New Member

Was thinking same thing and plus it was a common knowldge she doesnt want him to run for public office but he did anyway so kind of like when this Governator thing was over, one morning she woke up and thought, 'Why am I still here' and then she called her lawyer while Ahnold was snoring.

12. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

Okay, but the important question is: which of their adult offspring are hotties?

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  14. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

Yep, looks like he got the good genes from each parent.

15. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I give Arnold credit: He bought into the whole pursuit of happiness/American dream and went after it: first as an athlete then in Hollywood and then with political royalty. And as for Maria: Everyone talks about the Kennedy men but in a different time and place her mother might have been POTUS. Maria is proud of the Shriver name and given her late parents and her brothers activism I think she should be. I wish them both well: I too have heard Arnold (much like his Kennedy uncles) has a roving eye. And I think they should amend the constitution so someone who is American but not American-born can run. (NO MORE BIRTHERS!) I don't think I'd support Arnold though.

16. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Let me be more specific. The thought of them two having sexual intercourse grosses me out. I was trying to get that point across without having to actually say it. Did not work. :lol:

17. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

18. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Arnold may have walked out on her, but...he'll be back.

The Accordion, Rex, smurfy and 5 others like this.
  19. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

lol....cute, but I read she's the one who moved out of the family home.

20. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

But you can kind of tell. :shuffle:

I still think you're better off being not-quite-so-thin as you get older. But then again I'm surrounded by naturally-thin female relatives who get FRAIL AS ALL GET OUT when they age. I'd rather have some junk in the trunk than be relegated to that! :eek:

My parents aren't divorced, but when my dad retired, my already-retired mom was like, "Hopefully he won't drive me crazy being in the house all the time!" :rofl:

21. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

You can only tell if your practitioner isn't very skilled/doesn't have a good sense of aesthetics. Or if you are Megan Fox. :scream:

22. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

True. I ain't asking every good-looking older woman if they've had work done, but considering where I am (Los Angeles), you just sorta assume that everyone HAS had work done. :p

23. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Or if you're the cat lady :lol:

24. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

25 years is a long time to be married. Sometimes people just grow apart and want different things as they age. It's hard to remain "in love" with someone. At least they had the guts to move on and instead of remaining in a marriage they both are no longer happy in anymore.

25. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

The Cat Lady is way beyond injections.

26. Civic

Civic New Member

I think Caroline Kennedy Schlossberg is attractive and is one of the rare women who looks better in middle age than she did in her twenties. IMO, Maria Shriver was very attractive back in her TV news anchor days. Unfortunately, she made the decision to maintain her waist instead of her face. The long, straight, dark hair doesn't do her any favors either.

Edited to add: Only Maria Shriver herself knows all of the reasons why her marriage no longer works for her. However, she lost both parents during the past two years. I know that losing a parent can make you examine your life once you're past the initial grief.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  27. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I am sorry to hear it but hope they can at least they can make a amicable arrangement for the sake of the kids.

28. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Then again the mental image of other people having sex squicks a lot of people out, especially if neither of them is you.

29. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think that was confirmed as true, right? Maybe Kerry wanted to break the cheating glass ceiling.

30. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member