Armin Mahbanoozadeh proves he’s latest U.S. sensation

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by azskatefan, Jan 3, 2011.

1. azskatefan

azskatefan New Member

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Well, there are 4 medals at US Nationals... :)

I was thinking that the opening 3T in his FS would evolve into a 4T attempt by Nationals and it looks like that will happen! :cool:

3. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Oooh. I really hope so. I'd like to see more attempts at Quads by US Men.

But, isn't he barely getting the 3x? Granted, he's gained some consistency on it but the Quad might be a bridge too far....

4. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

:rollin: Lurves me some Armin. Would love to see him land the quad toe.

I think there are several skaters who are more consistent on the toe jumps (even a quad) than the 3A: Stephane Lambiel, Ryan Bradley, and Jeremy Abbott among them.

I am just wondering if Armin will continue skating after next year. I believe he's planning on attending university full time beginning next fall. (MIT?)

5. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Tell that to Lambiel :p. Some skaters never get as comfortable with a forward axel take-off as they do with regular jumps. One of the skaters at my rink still struggles with a 2 axel, but one she started landing 3 salchows, they've been easy and consistent. It's not just about the extra 1/2 revolution...sometimes how comfortable you are with the take off can make all the difference in the world. And Armin seems to like toe jumps.

6. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I believe he was accepted by Dartmouth.

7. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Well I mean look at Team Orser, Rippon can do a 3lz with both arms over his head but struggles with the 3a and Gao can reel off 3f-3t like it's easy but has yucky technique on the 2a.

8. olympic

Wasn't it Curran Oi who went to MIT?

9. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Yup. Armin is going to Dartmouth, or has been accepted there and deferred admission. I don't know if he's planning on starting next season.

10. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Armin was accepted into Dartmouth 2 years ago and so I believe he would have to reapply if he still wants to go there.

Curran Oi competed at the Collegiate Championships representing MIT this summer and finished 2nd to Grant Hochstein.

ETA: Armin M. and Ashley Wagner are two of the Skating Club of Wilmington (Delaware) skaters performing in their club's Nationals Send-Off Show this Saturday (Jan. 8) -- see this thread for more info: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=76761

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  11. Civic

Civic New Member

Dartmouth isn't cheap. Tuition, room and board there were well over $50,000 a year the last time I checked.

12. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Hope he does really well at Nationals! We've enjoyed watching him skate since we first saw him at Mike Weiss' foundation show in 2005 (he had braces on his teeth back then). :D;)

13. olympic

I think Ashley performed one of her programs at a send-off last year, correct? It will be interesting to see if they perform and if so, perhaps we will see a youtube video or something....

Back to Armin - he may defer for a while. He is really 'gelling' as a skater and shows quite a bit of promise, so he may want to go all the way to Sochi. His score at SA was nearly 212 pts.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Re: title of the article

One very strong competition doesn't prove that yet. :p

15. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

I want Armin, Jeremy and Adam on the Nats podium in any order. :swoon:

With Dornbush taking the pewter. :cheer:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

1. Cassar
    2. Dornbush
    3. Abbott

;)

17. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I was also wondering about Armin's studies, because I remember he was on the fence last year re: full- time studying vs. skating. Selfishly, I'd love to see him skate competitively much longer. Does anybody know- is he taking it year by year, have any looming deadlines, or decided to pursue skating and then reapply?

18. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I like this podium in any order. I'm also hoping for Ryan Bradley, Jonathan Cassar, Ross Miner, Keegan Messing, Stephen Carriere, & Sean Rabbitt to do well. There are so many US men that I enjoy (I could go on & on, but I'll stop here)!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  19. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

Carriere isn't going to be at nationals.

20. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I'm cross-posting this Viriginia article link in the Skater Articles thread in the US Nationals forum in Kiss and Cry since it's a general preview article, but here's a relevant excerpt about Mahbanoozadeh:

21. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

:wuzrobbed :fragile:

He does have good taste though. :cheer2: :encore:

22. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

I am 100% in favor of skaters pursuing an education and having interests outside of the sport, but I'm glad to learn that Mahbanoozadeh is putting school on hold to focus on skating for the moment. He should have no problem obtaining admission to any number of choice universities a few years from now, but his opportunity to try to fully realize his substantial skating talent is really now or never.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  23. ninadel

ninadel New Member

I get the impression that Armin is exceptionally smart, and perhaps for someone like him self-study will be enough for now. Being an elite athlete is an education in itself, and it would be a shame for him to not reach his potential as a skater. If he were a mediocre skater for his age I'd say go to school now... but he's not, so yay!

And yeah, when he does decide to go to uni he shouldn't have application/admission issues.

24. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

That's really it. He has the potential to be brilliant, so why not give it a shot.

25. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

:( Too bad he's heading off to college next year. I'm not sure he'll continue skating after this season, which is sad cuz he has so much talent.

26. smarts1

He's taking a gap year this year and has deferred a year from Dartmouth College. So next year he'll be off to Dartmouth.

27. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

No, last year (2009-10 season) was Armin's gap year -- the article says that he gave up his spot at Dartmouth in 2010. My impression is that he's taking his skating year by year and will decide about next season after this season is over.

BittyBug and (deleted member) like this.
  28. zilam98

zilam98 Well-Known Member

well, hasnt the axel always been considered the most difficult jump? then why the discussion on this jump vs the backward takeoff jumps?

29. smarts1

Oh whoops, I didn't see the article you posted, Sylvia.

30. ros01

ros01 New Member

The axel has generally been considered the most difficult jump because of the extra half revolution, but really, comfort and difficulty vary a lot by the takeoff. It's not just forward vs. backward takeoff, but also edge vs. toe, etc. So Lambiel, who is a good example, could never nail down the 3x but was more reliable on the 4t, and yet said once that the 3s was not his best jump, either. There's a lot of idiosyncrasy.