Armin Mahbanoozadeh announces his retirement & college plans

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

@Armin_hammer just tweeted:

ETA: Armin wrote a personal message that was published earlier today in his Japanese fan blog (run by Kana), but it has since been removed and I'm told a new message will be posted for his fans in a few days.

I feel like I've watched him grow up :) and wish him all the best in the next exciting chapter of his life!
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  2. Lyinna

Lyinna Member

Oh :( I always love his commitement to skating and his originality

I wish him all the best!
  3. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

:wuzrobbed: I can understand, though, that he wants to get on with his life. Just sorry he didn't ever reach his potential.

'bye, Armin Mahbahwoolah!!!
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  4. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  5. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Aww, I'm gonna miss watching Armin compete! But yeah, I feel like he was sticking around the past few years to try and make the Olympic team, and with only 2 spots up for grabs and his not doing well at this past Nationals and not getting any GPs, the odds are definitely not in his favor to make it. And at almost 22 waiting until 2018 would likely mean postponing college further, and by then he might be past his prime anyways. He's so smart though so I'm glad he's going to college full-time now, and while he's still relatively young and can enjoy the typical college experience only being a few years older than most of his classmates. Hopefully we'll get to see him in shows or something. Best of luck to him!
  6. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I will miss seeing him in competition; and wish him the very best with his future plans.
    He is extraordinarily gifted. Whatever path he chooses, Armin will be successful.
  7. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I'll miss his skating, but he's such a smart kid I can see why he'd want to pursue his educational goals as well. Best of luck to him in his future.
  8. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Glad he is continuing his education but sorry to see him leave the ice.
  9. phule1970

phule1970 Member

I will miss him. It was only fun to see him around.
  10. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I'm glad he's finally off to college. Where is it he finally decided to attend?
  11. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

12. isamelia

isamelia Member

Is Armin going to UPenn as a fulltime Comp Sci student, or a college in Colorado?

I wish him all the best~ I was captivated by his freeskate in-person at Liberty in 2010.
  13. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I applaud his GIF choice :lol:
  14. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

I wish him all the best.
  15. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

I was hoping he would switch countries...he is so talented. What a shame.
  16. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Active Member

Wish him all the best! I'll miss him :(
  17. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

I always enjoyed his skating. Wish him the best, it's great to be both a talented skater and a smart young man :)
  18. leigh466

leigh466 Active Member

Awwwwww. :( Very sad news. I loved Armin, and I too will miss seeing him skate. He really is quite a wonderful skater who would have been champion of a small country. So sad when they end. Best of luck to Armin. Hope he has a happy, healthy, and fruitful life!
  19. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Good luck to him! I really enjoyed his skating...
  20. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Awwwww. I lurved him and was really pulling for him to breakthrough to the top. He had the talent and ability.

But good for him that he seems happy and excited about his plans though.
  21. TygerLily

TygerLily Well-Known Member

Same! I always liked him and wish I'd been able to see him more. Best wishes to him!
  22. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

This is one of the unfortunate consequences of having so much emphasis on quads- the men who really have trouble with them like Armin struggle to keep up and sort of get chanced out of the sport. He is a great talent and did what he could to get better, but quads were not his thing and it seemed to end up having a detrimental effect on his overall consistency. It's a shame he's finishing on a bad note with his Nationals finish last season, but who knows if it would have gotten any better this year. I enjoyed watching him skate and he should be very proud of what he accomplished.
  23. MysticHaze

MysticHaze Member

Good luck to Armin in whatever he chooses do! I particularly enjoyed the gif!
  24. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Very sad news for his fans :( (like me!) but all of my best to Armin!
  25. tlk

tlk Active Member

His performance at Skate America in Portland was a high point of that weekend. Best wishes for his future!
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  26. casken

casken Well-Known Member

I also want to give :respec: to the Dr Who LP. I just wish he had the opportunity to skate it all out.
  27. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Best of luck to Armin. I've enjoyed watching his skating these past years. He's been a wonderful role model and has provided fans with some memorable moments on the ice. Most of all, Armin seems to be a bright, engaging and caring young man. I hope he feels very proud of all that he has accomplished and that one day he might continue to be involved with the sport in some capacity. It would be great to see Armin skate in a show with Mao! His piano tributes to Mao were so thoughtful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxCEthvxfwY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nATjGJvOyw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6nzGq-acxE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhPyToayMiM

It would be cool if manleywoman or Jenny and Dave could interview Armin sometime soon. :)

Funny tweet seat with Armin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoJ9wZjogz8

Armin, 2012 U.S. Nats FP -- Kill Bill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okshV7mwRuY
  28. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

It would have been great if he got one worlds. I am glad he got to compete at Four Continents and has a senior grand prix medal. He was good.
  29. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

I hope Armin reads this thread. So many eloquent posts all with the same message: respect for his choices, admiration for his skating, fond memories of special performances, and recognition of his intelligence and his grace.

Armin, I hope you have continued success and happiness in all you do. Good luck!
  30. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I'm glad he's chosen the path he wants to follow, but I will miss his skating. I was very impressed with both of his performances at Skate America in Kent.
  31. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I always liked Armin and thought he had a lot of promise as a skater. It's good that he has a new career direction, though, and best of luck to him.
  32. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

I loved watching him skate so much and, like others, always wished for him to have that break through! I also loved saying his name out loud every time he competed. Weird I know - but there are some words that are just fun to say and his name is one of them!
  33. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

I'll miss him. All the best wishes for his future.
  34. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Oh, I will miss him so much! Always a pleasure to watch/talk to him @ Mike Weiss' shows (first time we saw him 9/05 he had braces on his teeth) & @ Liberty, but I wish him all the best in his future plans.

It took me a long time to master pronouncing his last name, but I loved saying it & letting my local fellow skating fans know about him & his talent.
  35. shah

shah Well-Known Member

36. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

The ice will always be there for him if he ever chooses to revisit it! If he's making a choice that's bettering his life, great for him! :))
  37. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, and best Twitter handle ever: Armin_hammer!!
  38. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I will miss Armin's skating, as well. I've been a fan of his skating, expression and originality for years. Thank you, Armin, best of luck on new paths!
  39. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I really loved his skating and his style. Wish he could have gotten those bigger jumps. I think he had chosen Dartmouth, but then he decided to wait to go to college. Anyone know where is he going to school?
  40. just tuned in

just tuned in Active Member

pretty sure he is at University of Pennsylvania.