Are women worse bullies than men (particularly the workplace)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aussie Willy, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

This topic is quite close to my heart having been the subject of bullying from a b*tch here in the office. I am dealing with it at the moment. But this article does raise an interesting question and I tend to agree. I have worked with some great women, but on the other hand the worst have also been women. Most men I have found you know pretty easily where you stand but I haven't had that many treat me like crap.

http://www.theage.com.au/small-busi...en-worse-bullies-than-men-20130910-2thc3.html

2. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

What is it you tend to agree with? The headline asks the question, but the article itself says that bullying by women managers is as destructive as bullying by male managers, that men are reluctant to report it, and that it is hard to say how prevalent the problem is. Nowhere does it say that women are worse bullies than men. The article isn't even about women managers bullying employees in general; it's specifically about women managers bullying male employees.

3. Aussie Willy

Hmmm maybe I agreed with the general point about women managers being bullies. Did I need to be specific about who is being bullied?

4. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

I like one of the comments below the article.

Why on earth is this article asking a question without actually answering it? Or at least attempt to by doing research/comparison of some sort...? :confused:

5. Prancer

You posted the article and commented on it. And the article didn't make the general point that women managers are bullies or more likely to be bullies than male managers--at least I didn't see anything like that in what I read.

So....I couldn't figure out exactly what you were agreeing with. I'm still not sure. But if you are asking if we think women are worse bullies than men in the workplace, I vote no. I think bullies split out about equally and you are just as likely to run into a male bully as a female bully.

Headlines aren't written by the people who write the stories, and they are written to garner attention more than reflect the content of the article itself.

But it is really annoying when there is so little relationship between the two.

6. Aussie Willy

From my experience, in the workplace women have been worse than men when it comes to bullying, if you want me to put it in simple terms. I also gathered from the comments section that most people read the article that way too. Maybe that is what I was responding to as well.

But as I said, I currently have to deal with a bully who is a woman at work. It is pretty close to home at the moment so of course I am going to have a certain perspective on the subject related to my current experience. But it is not just here but elsewhere. Years ago one of the worst places I worked in was a public library where there was predominently female staff. The workplace had a dreadful culture of it. When I went to the next library to work at, it was the total opposite.

7. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Bullies, IMO, has no gender bias. I agree with this article that men bullied by women tend to be under-reported based on the above perception. I think women tend to 'bully in a different manner'. Women can be more 'vicious' than men. :p Men will slug it out and forget all about it.

8. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I think bullies do come in both genders - but also that "bully" is the new "bitch" when it comes to women who are assertive. It's an overused term that is quickly losing its meaning. There certainly be plenty of women who are horrible managers, complete jerks and selfish, nasty, etc. Just like there are plenty of men who are the same. It's not the same thing as bullying. I'm not speaking to your specific situation AW - only you can know what's going on there - I mean in general usage, stories etc.

As to women managers, I've heard many people (mostly women!) say that women bosses are worse than men, but that hasn't been my experience at all. I've worked mostly for women - several of whom were challenging, some were great, a couple were terrible to work with. None were bullies, and I'd take the very worst of them over either of the men I worked for in the last year, who were both appallingly bad managers in very similar ways. I don't expect my experience to be typical, though.

9. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

Like gen, female bosses have been better than male bosses in my experience. But imo There is another factor that would *have* to be part of any related analysis - the levels in the organization. For example, if we are talking about secretarial staff with a male boss vs a female boss, that may show a different trend than an engineer with a female boss vs a male boss. Because how one treats employees based on intra and inter class, for lack of a better word, would be just as much of a factor as gender. (I would expect that some men treat female secretaries better than female engineers because secretaries are "in their place" and are not a competitive threat. )

10. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

Hillary Clinton for President 2016!!! :p

11. genevieve

I can see that. I've worked mostly in nonprofits, where women being leaders is the norm - which can mean both that the women in leadership have less of an uphill battle to get there (less to "prove"?) and that people who work in NPOs need to get used to taking direction from women or they'll leave the industry. The two men I worked for in the last year had what I would consider more of a typical corporate middle management style (even though one workplace was an NPO and the other was a very NPO-like environment and they both had executive positions) - very top-down, do as I say, no questions/collaboration, the only ideas are from the top (even when they're not), etc. :scream:

ETA I was responding to snoopy's post. But I can see Hillary for Pres too :p

12. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Really good points from Dangel and spikeydurian! I have found that men and women tend to bully in different ways. And I must stress, generally speaking! Most male bullies I have encountered were openly physically aggressive. Most female bullies were manipulative, sneakier; they couldn't outdo the men so turned to manipulation. But I have encountered a few males who were sneaky manipulators and a few openly aggressive female versions. I think in the long run, bullies are bullies and, once you have identified the style, you have to get on with protecting yourself and your reputation. I think that means establishing clear boundaries while stressing cooperation, making sure you have allies and showing commitment to the workplace. I'm not sure if this is at all helpful to your situation, aussie, but I wish you well. It helps to brainstorm with people who are not directly involved.

genevieve and (deleted member) like this.
  13. genevieve

this^ Especially the first and third parts.

14. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

I think men and women, for whatever reason, tend to interact with people differently, which displays itself in the interaction between managers and employees.

15. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

In my totally annecdotal experience, the only people who I've ever heard complain about female bosses are other women, I've never heard a male colleague complain about a female boss and reference her sex as a contributing factor to the problem. Bullies in the workplace have been both female and male. Female managers and higher ups always seem to get a reputation for being "bullies" when they exhibit the same type of behaviour and management style as men at the same level who don't seem to be labelled the same way, but in the example i'm thinking of it was women who "get on better with men" and have problems with other women who were doing the complaining...but it's based on my limited observations at 3 different work places where women were in senior roles, the three other places i worked had no women in senior roles.

genevieve and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Alexa5

Alexa5 Member

Sorry you are going through this. It really sucks. I know. And based on my experience, and others I know with very similar situations, feel that women bullies can be the worst by far. They are sneakier about it, and can do it in a way that is very personal and hurtful. The one male bully I have dealt with was annoying for sure, but definitely more up front about it, and pretty much was just a jerk. The woman I dealt with had a whole different style, and it was a very difficult situation. Thankfully I am removed from it now, but I definitely feel for anyone going through it.

I had a friend that went through a very similar situation when I did, with another female boss, and the tactics used were very similar. It was interesting, and we both learned a lot about bullying and how to survive.

17. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I have known female bullies in the workplace for decades, and of course being from the south, and being in my 60's, I saw these bullies in perhaps more stereotypical ways. But I totally agree with antmanb. I was placed in a large southern department store chain headquarters with a woman who was deemed "impossible to work for." I adored her. She was from Minnesota and very direct and no-nonsense. She didn't perform "the southern ballet of manners" as well as being female-which back in those days was pretty rare in Atlanta. But she was always fair, sincere, and professional. I never understood why other women didn't like her. The two worst female bullies I ever met were very manipulative and totally ego-driven sociopaths. They both totally believed in their own superiority over everyone in their world and were both driven by a competitiveness that would make an Olympic athlete blush. I would like to say that they were only evil to other women, but they were only evil to women in a very female way. They bullied men differently, but still using female wiles to box them into corners where the poor guys didn't know they were in trouble until too late. Poor guys coculdn't fathom a woman could outfox them in business while they were talking so sweetly to them. Hitting below the intellect.

18. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I can see the posters now: "Hillary Clinton 2016: What Difference Does It Make?" :p

19. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

The two female principals I worked for were not bullies, but I did not enjoy working for them. In contrast to the three males I worked for, they were control freaks. Everything had to be done their way. One dictated where things had to be kept in our desk drawers (lesson planbook in the top right drawer, for example, I was written up for not meeting this rule due to being given a desk without any drawers on the top right) and how we had to write grades in gradebooks (quizzes in blue ink, tests and projects in red ink, daily HW in pencil, averages in black ink--this was the very last days before computerized grading systems). The other dictated how the shades were hanging on our classroom windows (not all the way down or up, always between half and three-quarters down the windows and all hanging evenly) and what color of hose or socks we were allowed to wear. That kind of control freak stuff is really stressful, I think.

I worked for one male administrator that was a god awful bully and also a sexist pig.

20. Prancer

When I was working as a writer/editor, I moved around a lot--one company for a couple of weeks here, another for a couple of months there--and so I saw a lot of different workplaces, and that was something I saw quite a bit--that both men and women tended to accept authority more from men and that male managers and higher-ups dealt better with women who were in lower-level positions. Female engineers, female computer programmers, and female scientists (the three fields I most often worked with) tend to take a lot of crap from men that female support staff does not, although the female support staff got their share as well.

I also found that the most toxic work environments were those in which there were many female employees clustered at the bottom end of the workplace totem pole. I have no idea if the same situation would exist with men because I have never been in an office where men were clustered at the bottom of the office totem pole. But I have often wondered if this has more to do with being at the bottom than it does with the sex of the people stuck there. I also hear the most complaints about women in the workplace from people who work at or near the bottom of the hierarchy; women who work in management and higher-up positions tend to complain a lot more about men.

I saw that a lot. And any mistake that a female manager made was always blown way out of proportion--she's weak! She's incompetent!--in ways that didn't happen a lot with men, either.

I also thought that people often expected a female manager to be more understanding of personal problems and would get angry when that didn't happen--but no one ever seemed to expect a male boss to have that same kind of understanding. At the same time, I've seen female bosses try to be "nice," which usually does not end well.

I also heard that kind of thing a lot and have seen it posted here many times, and I sometimes wonder--if you go into a situation thinking "Oh, great--a female boss. I get along with men so much better," does that then color the way you view your boss?

I thought it was interesting--and rather telling--that the article did not include sexual harassment as a type of bullying, which it most certainly is.

21. KatieC

KatieC Going in circles

I must be exceptionally lucky - all but one of my female bosses were terrific women, whom I respected greatly. I still keep in touch with most of them, by phone occasionally, or Christmas cards. Of the two men I worked for, the 81 year old was a complete gentleman, always showing concern for my health, family, anything at all, and his brother, the 76 year old, was arrogant and very conscious of his own superiority. I did run into a fellow once who had difficulty accepting instructions from a woman, but that was very likely a cultural issue.
    I've run into female bullies on occasion, but thankfully as co-workers and not supervisors. I try to remain polite and distant.

22. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

I don't see much "bullying" in this article.... I see examples of very demanding, perhaps unreasonably demanding, bosses, who happened to be women..... I've seen the same "demanding" personalities in male bosses..... I am a female, yet I hardly remember which gender I am when working, and DO DEMAND (not bully but demand!) from people the work they signed up to do and are paid for.

If any differences that I see in a work environment, is that women gossip more than men. Men like to gossip too, but it is less socially acceptable, so they hold their tongues back.... :lol: