Are Pang/Tong retiring after Worlds?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Bryan, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Bryan

Bryan New Member

I thought for sure they would retire after Worlds last year and was surprised to see them on the GP circuit. Last night, I had 4CC on Universal Sports in the background and thought I heard someone say they were retiring at the end of this season. Has that been confirmed? If so, I hope they can stay on the podium in their last competition.

I guess China will probably have 2 pairs teams for the next couple of years. Weird!

2. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

3. xy3026rosa

xy3026rosa New Member

4. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

ha! I'm hoping they win!

5. birdoflove

birdoflove New Member

really hope that their LOVE will win favourite teams, as S&R, Y&S in this WC! because they could became the most classier pair next to G&G :)>- the true feeling is nothing to compare with good perfomances (*)
    P.S. thanks to everyone, but unfortunely can't understand chinese :-L know japanese,russian and english..,mmm,is there some information about Pang&Tong in those languages??? *-:) thanks in advance!

6. os168

os168 Active Member

At the Taipei Press Conference at 4CC earlier in the year, PangTong said this year's WC is their last, and Tong said he intend to propose and they hope to get marry and have an even bigger wedding on ice than S&Z (said in hearty spirit probably half jokingly?)

I find the press conference amusing, because he is announcing to to the press that there's going to be a big wedding and he hasn't even proposed to Pang yet, nor did she say 'yes'

Such is the ego of the Chinese Man ahhaha!!! (And utterly unromantic as well...teeheee!!)

7. birdoflove

birdoflove New Member

they are together 18 years and it means that they are more than just lovers!!! guess that He just saving the words of propose to the greatest moments :) this routine will be good for them, because they are a public known personalities such a long time and almost living on the ice :)

8. xy3026rosa

xy3026rosa New Member

If you need help,I can help you translate the news~:D
    The newest information:Tong said Pang got a fever these days,and her knee have some injury.Tong said he felt painful when he squat.Injuries are the biggest problem they need to slove.:(
    PS: Some interesting things. Tong said he felt "angry" when he heard more people love QJJ .:yikes:
    http://t.qq.com/pangqing_tongjian
    This blog belongs to Pang,but Tong occupied the blog,I feel :mad:...

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  9. xy3026rosa

xy3026rosa New Member

They plan to retire after 2014,WC(in this year) is not their last performance!..:hat1:

10. birdoflove

birdoflove New Member

thanks to xy3026rosa :)

it is sad to hear that they got a fever and some injuries :(

I think if it is serious injury they should just withdraw from this WC, maintain their bodies and come back with brilliant perfomances, then take a rest and come back to Oly season, skate better than ever :cool:
    love them and wish to win at Sochi :D

by the way, the Putin visited Yuko&Smirnov's training and wished them a success.., it means they are going to be the main favourites in this time :confused..,the timing is one of most important factor:hat1:

Tong felt angry, means loves Qing very much!!! LOL

P.S. however I know jpnese well, mean characters,chinese is so different :confused:

11. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

I respect your love for them as a fan...but...as classy as G&G? Sorry...not happening.

12. mia joy

mia joy New Member

oh please, retire already...

They are currently the most overmarked pair in the world. Those components next to those terribly looking lifts... blah. I'm so fed up with this pair. Seriously, we need someone new. I'm so looking forward to V/T and also to the young Chinese, Sui/Han and seing them develop in the following years. The Pang/Tong time has ended, sorry. Let them just get married, be happy, have some kids and stay away from competitive skating :p

13. birdoflove

birdoflove New Member

I said "classier next to G&G" not "as"..,you should read carefully :)
    "classier" means not too much elements, beautiful lines,balanced choreography,
    G&G is the most classier of all the time! But P&T have their own unique style,which is classier too..,

14. xy3026rosa

xy3026rosa New Member

Hi!.. I think Janpanese and Chinese characters some are same.I can't understand Japanese when I hear,but I can guess the meaning when I see it.:rolleyes: For example,in Chinese we call Tokyo 东京,in Japanese call Tokyo 東京.:)
    Another question:Could you tell me where are you come from,Japan or other countries? :swoon:

15. Fashionista

Fashionista New Member

WTF?
    What was at 4CC press conference then?

16. birdoflove

birdoflove New Member

I'm not from Jpn, Russia:) In my country there's no figure skating! just grew up with russian language and used to like watch FS on TV :D and still one of my favourite past times

17. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Amen!

I hope what they said at that press conference is true.

18. Civic

Civic New Member

While I've always loved his elegant carriage; her lack of extension and sloppy air positions have always bugged me. She has long, slim limbs. She could make a lovely picture in the air if she only had more stretch and tension.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

That. Plus their weak basic skating. And Chinese technique "throwing a sack of potatoes into the cellar" throws. And her double-footed throw salchow take-off.

20. TID

TID New Member

No matter what they decide to do,hope this team will live happily ever after.They will always be my favourite team.Wish them well.

21. zizi

zizi New Member

"P/T is classier next to G/G"? OMG! How ridicule! Definitely degrade G/G!
    P/T are always used to breaking their words. I never believe what they said.
    I bet they will retire after WC,fall off the podium.

22. xy3026rosa

xy3026rosa New Member

You bet? Their adjustment is only temporary~ They will never give up the chance to go to 2014 Olympics~:hat1:
    PS:我希望您能注意一下您自己的措辞
    If you are Chinese,you can understand what I said.
    If not,that is OK. I really don't want to argue with foreign friends.Thanks!..:)

23. zizi

zizi New Member

A bet? How seriously? I bet P/T retire and never come back...blah.
    I totally agree with Moka-Ananas, mia joy, Ziggy and Civic

24. xy3026rosa

xy3026rosa New Member

我不想做更多的解释,不过还是希望你能尊重选手,说话请不要带有这种冷嘲热讽的语调!

25. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I hope they stick around along as they can but I do know they won't be able to leave for a year or two and come back like S/Z for the Olympics, too many skaters will pass them by if they don't compete the whole time.

26. DinDonShamu

DinDonShamu New Member

My gut tells me that their time has passed. Even if they decide to compete they will be off the podium for sure as soon as next year. They have lost the motivation to compete anyway, imo. Two time world champions and Olympic silver medalists, what else can you wish for? :lol:

The venom in this thread is thick and plenty. Can't say I'm surprised. The same people have been very vocal against them for ages :shuffle:. Though I certainly never enjoyed her lift positions and the way they "scratch" across the ice from time to time, they did produce some of my favorite pairs programs (2009/2010 SP and 2004 LP) and some very memorable performances (2010 Olympics LP and 2004 Worlds LP), and I do like plenty of other aspects about their skating, musicality in particular. Wish them the best :rollin:.

27. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I thought their time had passed too especially at 2009 Worlds when they got 4th behind S/S, Z/Z & K/S, but then they came out of nowhere and would have won Olympic gold if their short program wouldn't have been so low.

I'm hoping maybe they can do it again.

28. Jenny81

Jenny81 Active Member

:confused::confused::confused:
    Is it a Quiz or what??

29. xy3026rosa

xy3026rosa New Member

30. zizi

zizi New Member

Maybe a Quiz?:eek:We can understand xy3026rosa's Engish, but he or she are not able to understand others.