Are my old skates salvageable? (rust spots)

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by CantALoop, Dec 6, 2011.

1. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

I'm going on a trip to a city with outdoor rinks, and so I went to my parents' house to get my old skates.

I was elated to find that my parents still had them, but disappointed when I found them buried in a box of clothes with rust spots all over them. :(

Pictures here

Would a sharpener be able to grind out those rust spots or should I just leave the skates at home?

Also, I know this is crazy, but I'm wondering if my old skates would actually be better to skate in versus horribly dull and sometimes misaligned rental skates?
  2. quebecoise

quebecoise New Member

I think it's possible, but I suggest you to bring them in a figure skating's shops, not in any shops who can sharpened skates. I had a friend who had miserable blades and the guy at figure skating's shop did miracle. I sugggest you to try at least. They will say you if they can do something or not.

I also think you will feel more confortable in your old skates than rental skates where a lot of people wore them.
  3. Erica Lee

Erica Lee New Member

A good sharpening will take any rust on the bottom of the blade right off - no problem. Doesn't look too bad to me and I'd bet they'll be "good as new" again soon.
  4. Synchkat

Synchkat New Member

I would try rubbing them with some Coke first. That will get some of the rust off and then you can see if they are worth getting sharpened.

To be honest they don't look all that bad and you might be bale to get away with the Coke and then just skating to get the rust off. A sharpener could certainly fix them.
  5. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

For mine, I used a sponge like this one.
    But my blades were not as bad as yours.
  6. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone, turns out that sharpening the blades took the rust right off! They did such a good job, it's hard to believe it looked as bad as it did! :eek::D
  7. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Nice!

Before you store them again, put some WD-40 or vaseline on the edges to keep air from getting at the metal. Put a piece of wax paper or a soft cloth (fasten with rubber band or string) over them to protect them, too.
  8. Bunny_Hop

Bunny_Hop New Member

That looks fantastic! A similar thing happened to my blades. One day I went home sick from the rink, and left them in guards. They literally had rust pouring off them onto the towel after two hours.

I put them in rust remover, then had them sharpened. Obviously you don't want to do it too often, because sharpening the blades wears them down eventually, but rusty blades are by no means the end of the world.

Happy skating!
  9. quebecoise

quebecoise New Member

Awesome!! Have fun skating!