Are earbuds making you deaf?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by BlueRidge, Aug 18, 2010.

1. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

I wonder about this when I see people with their ears plugged constantly. This article is about kids, but my coworker listens to music all day and has it turned up so I can hear it a lot of the time, and I just wonder if she's messing up her hearing. It would be interesting to know if there are any studies on adults, and over longer time periods, though I guess its a more recent phenomenon that people listen so much with earbuds stuck in their ears.

Study: 1 in 5 US teenagers has slight hearing loss

I think there should be a lot more warning out there about this risk.

2. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

I got an iPod last Christmas for the first time. So I went and listened to some music with my earphones in and when I was done noticed my ears hurt realllllllllllllllly bad. I didn't even have the volume up that high. I believe there's something really wrong with those earphones I don't like using them.

3. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

I've never been able to use any of these earphone things, even back in the walkman days, due to pain in my ears.

4. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

When my students listen to music on their mp3's, I always tell them if I can hear it, it's way too loud.

The stupid thing is that their parents should realize the dangers because we were all warned about listening to music that was too loud. How many of us walked out of dance clubs with our hearing muffled and ears ringing from dancing too close to the speakers.

This isn't rocket science -- if you have something blasting in your ears for a significant amount of time, ear/headphones or not, you risk your hearing.

My ears physically hurt from the disk-like earbuds that came with my iPod, so I bought some buds that are more cylindrical, and I don't get sore ears. I'm also a lot wiser than I was when I was 20, and I keep the volume at a reasonable level -- so that I can still hear conversation around me.

5. BlueRidge

I've never been able to stand any kind of ear phones or head phones.

I also don't know how people can walk around and ride the bus and stuff without being able to hear all that is going on around them.

6. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

I still used those lightweight headband earphones with the fluffy pads or I used those ones that have similar ear pieces but actually slide onto the ear, but I do not use earbuds or anything that goes into my ear because they have always hurt my ears.

I was a musician of the more classically trained variety while growing up, so I preferred being able to hear the nuances of music, even if it was computer generated pop. Neither blasting it in my ears nor tuning out the world ever appealled to me.

7. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

:confused:

Doesn't every single mp3 player (or portable DVD player, etc.) have a warning in it's manual? Every single one I have bought mentioned this. To set the volume at a level at home where you can hear it sufficiently, and when you are in louder places, do NOT turn up the volume as it will cause hearing damage.

I'm not sure there is anything more ANNOYING AND INCONSIDERATE than someone who plays music in ANY public space where someone else can hear that person's music. If those people end up deaf, it's completely at their own hands. And if they can't hear that semi-truck bearing down on them... Oh well. Stuff happens. (THAT is how irritating I find these people!!! :eek:)

8. BlueRidge

oh...

I don't have one so don't know, but I think it needs to be more talked about in the media. I just don't think people take it seriously enough.

well there are people who talk loudly on cell phones to give them a run for their money... :shuffle:

9. hydro

hydro Well-Known Member

The EU has established guidelines for acceptable volume limits. Every audio player has to meet those requirements to be sold. The US does not have any such restrictions that I'm aware of.

10. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

That's why I carry foam earplugs with me -- and almost always am wearing the when I'm on the bus. There usually are at least two people carrying on VERY LOUD conversations on their cell phones (so as to be heard over the noisy bus sounds), often each in a different language. And surprisingly often one of them is sitting in the seat directly behind me. :mad: :lol: I still can hear them with the earplug in, but at least the sound is muffled down a few decibels.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  11. BlueRidge

The bus is the new phone booth...

12. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I liked the old phone booths better -- where one usually had it to oneself for a PRIVATE conversation. What a quaint concept! Now it's sharing some extremely personal information with your very closest friend ... and another three dozen random strangers who happen to be riding the bus with you. :rolleyes: :lol:

13. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I'm so old-fashioned...

To me, cell phones are for emergency situations or for private conversations in private places. I would never talk about personal matters where others might hear. It's so tacky...and tactless.

14. KatieC

KatieC Well-Known Member

I agree about cell phones - I especially don't want to hear people arguing on them. As for ear buds, I only use my MP3 player when I'm away and don't have a radio to listen to at night. Then I used the ear phones and set the sleep function for ten or twenty minutes. Of course, I'd usually wake up at some point and unwrap the cord from around my neck!

15. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Ah yes. Cell Yell. Like the social worker I couldn’t help over hear talking about a client, in a waiting area, at Logan Airport, with about 120 other people there, hearing every word she said.
    Really is right, if someone else can hear your earphones, it’s too loud.

16. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Another reason not to have ear buds/phones too loud: If you bike, walk, or run outside, you can't hear cars coming. Very dangerous.

17. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I have the same problem if I go to sleep listening to music on my mp3. :)

But I think it is a matter of consideration for those around not to talk too loud on a phone or have your music that loud that others have to hear it. One of the things I hate about travelling on public transport.

18. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

Me too. Cell phone to me is for emergencies only, usually only carry one when on the highway, or if I will be away from home for a period and might need info. Think back in the old days, and using a pay phone. Might have done it a few times a year, if that. Never ever just to call and ask "whatcha doin'?"

Yeah, me too. can't wear the Apple type buds for even 5 minutes. Feels like my ears are cut. Bought nice little BOSE ones.

Actually, my ipod is on all the time. And I mean all. the. time. But I use it either at home in the dock or in the car intergrated with the car's system. Rarely with the earphones.

And I'm always telling my grandsons to turn the volume down. So do their parents. One plays it so loud it's skary.

19. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I love my blackberry. How else to provide practice reports at the rink?

20. walei

walei Well-Known Member

iPod's earphone are horribly big, I can't even get it inside my ear. I bought another one with a rubber head that you stuff it inside and it's way more comfy with better sound quality. Also I believe with those rubber in-ear type earphones you don't need to have the volume up too high to hear it clearly.

21. mkats

mkats New Member

There was one morning I was on the metro going to work and due to whatever reason, our train was stopped underground between stations... it was hot, people were standing, people were late for work and grumbling, ...and one guy was listening to Miley Cyrus's "Party in the USA" so loudly that everyone on the train could hear it. You should have seen the looks he got :lol: but sadly it didn't convince him to turn it down :rolleyes:

22. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

The only time I like to listen to music on a portable device is when I'm taking a long trip by train or bus, so I don't even own a mp3 player just a cd player, maybe one day I'll actually bother to buy one I just haven't justified the expense yet. I have small ears so most in-ear devices hurt therefore I usually use the old fashioned foam ones with a headband or at best some that are just a small disc that hangs on the ear but are not as intrusive as the earbuds. One thing that I've always done is to check the sound volume before I put them on, if I can hear the music when the headphones are on my lap then it's too loud. I was never a fan of loud music and I like to keep what I'm listening to myself. And I like to hear what's going on around me.

Oh, and don't you just love those people who describe medical procedures on the bus? Everybody else just reaaaally needed to listen to that story.

23. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

I'm another person who never got into earbuds; I just use the old fashioned "rests on the ears, not in them" kind with the fuzzy covers. And I keep the volume down.

It doesn't surprise me that people are starting to have hearing loss. With mp3 players becoming so light and inexpensive, everyone walks around in their own personal studio. What I've wondered is, what about the mobile club? A lot of people like to trick out their car so they can blast their music for everyone to hear. (ANNOYING.) Some sound systems are so loud you can actually hear the car parts rattling with the bass. That CANNOT be good for the driver's hearing. Any reports on hearing loss due to car stereo systems?

24. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

I have two ipods, a regular one and a shuffle I use at the gym or when I go running, and they both have ear buds. I find the over the ear ones uncomfortable and I like that the ear buds let a bit of sound in since I don't like to be totally unaware of what's going on around me. I always put them on and then take them out and check to see if I can hear anything, more because I hate when other people hear my music than for the actual noise factor. Even when I'm in the car listening to the regular stereo, I always turn it down when I drive in a parking lot or somewhere there's people, even if it wasn't that loud to begin with.

25. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Another problem is pedestrians have been killed or injured by vehicles due to their music blocking out all other sounds. So they can't hear the thing that is about to hit them.