Arakawa sings on video in NHK World TV (Flowers Will Bloom)

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by Frau Muller, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

I happened to watching the int'l cable news station, NHK World, the other day and happened to catch a 4-minute video of various Japanese VIPs holding flowers and singing a new song 'Flowers Will Bloom,' as a tribute to those lost in the March 2011 tragedies. Each VIP sang for a few measures. I recognized Shizuka Arakawa, looking so beautiful in a beige draped-front dress, with her hair down. (She has a lovely singing voice!) Takeshi Honda also made a brief appearance. All of the VIPs return to sing the last few measures of the song together. There is a running translation in English captions.

I'm not sure if it will be repeated. It wasn't even listed in the NHK viewer's guide that day, taking the normal place of 'World Heritage' show. Maybe somebody will upload it to YouTube and post a link here?

Simone411 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

3. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Simone411 likes this.
  4. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

What a beautiful song. Thank you so much for sharing!

5. momnatur

momnatur Member

Thank you, so much for the link. Very Moving!

6. Frau Muller

Thanks to Sylvia for finding & sharing the link. :)

7. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I happened to catch Yuzuru Hanyu skating a solo performance to the original Japanese version of this song (with English subtitles) on NHK World today, but couldn't find his full performance uploaded on YouTube, only this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th3GIroeeSw
    I think his performance was filmed this year, sometime in June? I thought it was well done and he included an effortless-looking triple Axel in the program.

Shizuka Arakawa is featured skating with other young Japanese skaters to the song in this 2012 NHK video (at the end, Mao Asada, Akiko Suzuki, Chris & Cathy Reed, and Daisuke Takahashi are shown talking on camera): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aClLVWNsgVk

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
    Simone411 likes this.
  8. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

Shizuka exemplifies ellegance, on or off the ice.

Simone411 likes this.
  9. mathil

mathil Active Member

Japanese figure skating fans have been uploading most videos (shows, news, interviews etc.) on Dailymotion as the videos are less likely to be removed. Copyright is very strict in Japan.
    NHK World version (with English subs): link
    Making of (in Japanese): link
    "Hana wa saku" (Flowers will bloom) was composed by Yoko Kanno and written by Iwai Shunji (both were born in Sendai) for NHK as a charity song towards the victims of the 2011 East Japan Earthquake and Tsunami. Here (in English) for those who want to know more about it.
    You're right, it was filmed on June 11th of this year. Yuzuru skated to a version of the song by Sashida Fumiya (a singer, dear friend of his with whom he has collaborated in the past). The program was choreographed by his former coach Nanami Abe and skated in Ice Rink Sendai. It took three hours for choreography and rehearsal, then he performed it only once for the cameras.
    It has been aired many times by now on NHK (nationwide in Japan) and NHK World as well. The one I linked above is the one aired only on NHK World, but there is one identical without subtitles which was obviously aired in Japan, a 'photo memorial' version, and also a 1 minute version of the program.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
    Simone411 and Sylvia like this.
  10. Frau Muller

Thanks, Sylvia. This is one of the loveliest programs by Hanyu. I appreciate him most in soft programs like this. No quads necessary.

11. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Thank you, mathil! :)