Apartment sharing troubles - advice please!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by personwhoishere, Aug 25, 2013.

1. personwhoishere

personwhoishere Well-Known Member

Forgot to say landlord already said me sending just my part of the rent from now on was fine, after last month. I'd already told her I wasn't comfortable with the arrangement putting all the responsibility on me. Lease is supposed to go through end of May of next year, however the end of the lease has a paragraph about "intention to vacate" and says I need to give 45 days notice, hence me paying for September and potentially them keeping my deposit for the rest. I'm not sure if that would even apply though because roomie would still be living there, and I'm pretty sure he'd just have one of his buddies move in. But my understanding is that, either way, after 45 days it is no longer my problem. Of course landlord is in Canada until either the 3rd or the 4th so I can't call her until then.

2. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

It sounds as though you should leave immediately. for your own protection/safety.
    If you need legal help to do so, call the authorities.
    You have already been threatened.

3. KCC

KCC Active Member

I think it is important for you to maintain a good, professional relationship with your landlord. She may be willing to give you a good (or at least, not bad) reference for your next apartment, and hopefully won't put a bad mark on your credit history for breaking the lease. Not fighting things like the security deposit might be the best long term strategy.

4. personwhoishere

Moved out yesterday, had nasty confrontation with my roommate the night before and he, of course, didn't give me the money.
    After everything was out, my dad -who is 6'7", slightly humorously compared to roommate at like 5'6"- insisted on talking to him, and he lied to my dad's face and insisted that he'd paid me. Still haven't heard back from landlord -ended up emailing them to give as much notice as possible since I wouldn't have been able to reach them by phone until today from what I understood- and now the people at the new place I'm looking at want my landlord information so I'm thinking I may have to call them if I don't hear from them today. Unfortunately the utilities at the old place were also in my name and I'm responsible for the current bill due the 13th and then a prorated final bill for all utilities up until tomorrow. :wall: I'm really stressing about the finances right now, this sucks so hard!

BaileyCatts and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

On the bright side, you got out alive - hopefully to a place where the roomie from hell can't find you. Cheers!

I'm sorry you had to deal with all of this. Very unfun for a young person starting out. Hopefully it will be better from here on out! Are you going to be living on your own now? That would be nice!!

6. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Just found this thread today and, as I read, had a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach about what would happen. Thank goodness you listened to your gut and got out. It certainly was not safe to remain and was a very wise move to involve your dad. Yes, it sucks to get stuck with a bill but finances have the chance of improving. You could have been on the nightly news as a victim of violence! You did well.
    As always, skating fans here have really good advice I think.

7. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I'm very glad you got out.

I hope your landlord keeps up her end of the bargain and doesn't give you any trouble.

8. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I agree with this. If you feel even slightly threatened, get out of there soon and worry about money and other things later. Legal help will be good. At least have a consultation with an attorney, but first, pick up your belongings and stay with your friends/family until you can find another place to rent.

ETA: Just read the post that you got out. Good job. Other things can be handled once you are at a safe place. Don't worry. Everything will be OK.

9. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Sorry that it had to happen that way. Hopefully the landlord will be nice and provide the reference you need. With regards any money owing, see if you can come up with a payment plan. Get the utilities taken out of your name immediately and get them to send you the final bills at your parents address. The guy won't be laughing when the power is cut off which is what you should organise.

Hope it all works out for you.

10. personwhoishere

Finally got some good news out of this mess! I called my landlord yesterday and she had just finished reading my email. She was very understanding, said they loved having me as a tenant but understood that sometimes situations don't work out the way you expect or want them to, I emphasized how much I loved the apartment and renting from them and was sad I had to go. She said it was "very fair" of me to still send them the rent for September, she has to talk to her husband about what they're going to do regarding who they want to rent the place now, but she did mention I still have some security and that she'll stay in touch. So it sounded like I may be getting my security back also. She also told me they would absolutely give me a good reference which is what I was most concerned about. The stress level is slowly going down. :)

11. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I'm glad that you have such a good relationship with your landlord.
    It sounds as though everything can be resolved in a fair/equitable manner,
    That's a real victory for you, when everything could have ended very badly.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  12. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

That's great. You needed a break. The landlady is being wonderful about this whole mess. I'm glad she recognized that you did your very best to be a responsible tenant. Onward and upward!

13. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I am happy to hear that you will get a good reference from your landlord/lady and it sounds like you are already out of the stressful situation. I am sure better things are coming your way.

14. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

That is fantastic news. Good for you.

15. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

Good for you for taking yourself out of the situation, finding alternate housing, approaching your landlord and working out a resolution to your lease. You were proactive and it paid off. I found it interesting that your former roomie initiated a confrontation just before rent was due. Hmmmm.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  16. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Yay for the landlady!! That's great news.