Anyone wear Gas Permeable contacts?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by leesaleesa, Apr 21, 2013.

1. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

I just got new gas permeable contacts yesterday, and man, are they a pain to adapt to. I am told the edge sensation and shifting will settle down with time, but two days into it, am skeptical.

About how long does it take to adapt? The vision is sharp enough for me to notice dust in places where I hadn't before, and though it feels like I have two hard pieces of plastic in my eyes (duh), my eyes aren't blood red and bruised feeling when removed, like with soft contacts.
  2. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I went from hard lenses, which at the beginning took almost two weeks for the corneas to adapt to them -- wearing them for an hour the first day and gradually increasing wear time -- and for them to settle and not shift when I blinked, to gas permeable lenses, which I found much more comfortable, as soon as they became available. I can imagine they're more difficult to adjust to coming from soft lenses, which mold themselves to the eye, apart from the ease of getting them in and especially out.

I think a week is the minimum it would take them to settle. Unless they're painful or impossibly uncomfortable, I'd give it more time.
  3. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

Thanks. I am going on hour 4 now, and the goal today was 5-6. I think the six will happen. Getting used to them at work should be easy, since it's too hectic to constantly think about having something on my eye. To add insult to injury, my new glasses are progressives, which require an adaptation period, too. The glasses are getting much better, though.
  4. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I remember learning to use hard lenses: I had to blink a lot because no gasses permeated them, and I had to keep my eyes from drying out, but every time I blinked, I went back to blurriness until the lenses settled, and then it was time to blink again :lol: I was 14 at the time, though, and 14-year-olds can suffer anything to give up glasses.
  5. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

That depends to some degree on your scrip. If you need a lot of correction, the lens will be thicker and it will take longer. Most people find the lenses comfortable in about two weeks

You feel the contact on the inside of your eyelids, which are very sensitive, until the eyelids adjust. If your eyes are dry, it's worse. Eyedrops help.

If they are still driving you crazy in a week or so, you may need to try a different kind. Most people are fitted a couple of times before they hit on the right brand/fit.
  6. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

-6.25 and -6.00. I guess I'm in for a long two weeks or more. The good news is that once they come out, I don't have the irritation, dryness, and redness that soft lenses cause.
  7. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

You get so much more oxygen to the eyes and tears under the lenses with gas permeable. I'd still be wearing them if one of my eyes stopped changing prescriptions every two weeks. It's easier for that eye to adjust to glasses.
  8. quartz

quartz Point of Know Return

I have been wearing gas permeable lenses for 30 years. Can't remember having too many problems getting used to them, I think it was about a week or two of gradually increased wearing times to work up to all day wear. I have pretty extreme astigmatism which has been greatly corrected through the years. Soft lenses have never been an option. I do have to carry eye drops with me as my eyes get dry and tired throughout the day and I have to throw a couple drops in every now and then. But I have never had any big problems with them.
  9. emason

emason Well-Known Member

kwanfan1818,

I am confused when you say you went from hard lenses to gas permeable. I wear hard lenses that ARE gas permeable. Am I missing something here?
  10. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Before there were the gas-permeable type of hard lenses, they were non-permeable lenses. You couldn't sleep in them, and weren't even supposed to snooze in them, because they prevented oxygen from reaching the cornea. I remember dozing off and waking up a couple of hours later, and I thought I had scratched my eyes. I think I once accidentally slept in my gas-permeable lenses, and I know I snoozed in them, but whenever I woke up, I was fine.
  11. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

I'm with kwanfan1818. The old hard contact lens were much more uncomfortable than the gas permeable. Vanity is a powerful thing to make you endure those old-style contact lens. Especially when the dust storms blew and you got a speck of dust underneath them.
  12. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

:yikes: that is awful. So painful. I got my first pair of hard contact lenses in 1975 and changed to gas permeable lenses maybe 10 years later when they came out. I remember with the original hard lenses that when I woke in the morning I could see pretty clearly even though the lenses had been out all night because the eyeball had been moulded into the lens shape.

I've not really had a problem with either (apart from the grit-under-the-lens thing). It may be worth getting another check on the fit of the lens if they float around and you are still conscious of it, and I didn't get the edge issue at all. I did once try the soft contact lenses and could feel the edges, but find the hard ones fine. Maybe because they're smaller?
  13. NancyNC

NancyNC Well-Known Member

I wish you luck, I never could adapt to gas permeable lenses. :( I could only ever keep them in for around 6 hours max. I don't know if my hay fever type allergies caused more problems or not. I was thrilled when they came up with the soft toric lenses and I was able to switch to those. I had absolutely no problems with them. I know that the hard ones are supposed to have crisper vision, but to be honest I couldn't tell any difference between the hard and soft because my eyes were always so irritated and tearing up from the hard ones.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  14. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I am severely nearsighted and have been told that gas perm lenses may give me sharper vision. My optometrist, however, with the agreement of my ophthalmologist, thinks that because I have bad seasonal allergies that affect my eyes and have had allergic reactions to contact solutions/cleaning products, soft disposable lenses are always going to be more comfortable. The problem is that I am pretty close to "sighting out" of available soft lenses.
  15. duane

duane New Member

I wore gas permeable lenses in the 80's. I remember it taking a week or so to get used to them. Definitely sharper vision, but my eyes would seriously water in the sun, and several times, one of the lenses popped out when someone simply brushed against my face. This once happened while getting my hair cut while in the Army! Don't miss them at all. Prefer the less sharper, but much more comfortable soft lenses that don't pop out. ;)
  16. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Not me! I went back to glasses before I got to high school and never looked back. :p Because I was having exactly the problems you had, with soft contacts, hard contacts, gas permeables...whatever was available, I tried in middle school and NEVER got used to it.
  17. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Seriously, consider trying again. The problem was likely a bad fit. Some optometrists are not good at fitting lenses particularly those at discount centers. And regardless of what kind of lenses you wear, your vision is better, eyestrain is less, and studies now indicate that wearing contacts, for some people, will help stabilize the cornea preventing vision from declining more.
  18. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

My prescription actually hasn't changed since high school, so I think it has stabilized until it declines from old age. :)

I'm just so lazy. :eek: Plus my new logo has my glasses in it, so now they're part of m brand identity! :rofl:

I also elected to go with glasses for my wedding, because I look EXACTLY like my mother without my glasses, and I was sure I'd look through the pics later and think, "Why is Alf marrying my mother?!" :rofl:
  19. Artistic Skaters

Artistic Skaters Drawing Figures

I've had gas permeable contacts for over 25 years. I still wear them 18 hrs a day regularly & have slept wearing them several times. I agree with duane they provide better vision than the short contact options. My only problem with them is driving long distances at night, & driving at night when it's raining. The glare gets pretty bad during those times & it's better to put on the old glasses.
  20. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

I have GP lenses and I have been wearing them since the summer of 1991. I can't wear them as much as I used to, but I still wear them at least 14 hours a day--every day. You do get used to them after about 2 weeks, but they never feel great. However, in the long run they are cheaper than soft/disposable lenses and they give you very crisp vision. :) And they did save me from losing my vision--I've only lost about 2 diopters since I got them (but I'm still a -12 in my glasses.)
  21. kalamalka

kalamalka Member

I'd advise to keep at the adjustment. Like kwanfan1818, I started with the old hard lenses (getting on for half a century ago), which were a very slow adjustment period, so there was no adaptation to change to the gas permeables. But visual acuity is much better than soft, and I have no problem wearing them for all my waking hours - and they're less hassle to look after. It turned out in my 40s that I had a cornea problem (keratoconus) in one eye that can't be corrected fully with any lens, but hard/gas permeables are the only way I can get halfway decent correction - both glasses and soft lenses would be useless. But I wore soft lenses for a few months once before I got the bump on my cornea, and I'd pick hard any time over either soft or glasses. Just wish I didn't keep losing them . . .
  22. Bunny Hop

Bunny Hop Accept no substitutes

I also have keratoconus (on top of astygmatism) and gas permeable lenses are meant to make my vision clearer, but I honestly can't tell a lot of difference between the lenses and my glasses, even though my sight is extremely poor in one eye. In terms of general comfort I got used to the gas permeable lenses in a couple of weeks, but have never been able to get much past he 8 hour mark before I start getting watery eyes and some irritation as a result. This means I can't wear them to work, as I'd have to take them out before then end of the day (by the time you factor in getting to and from work).

My big problem, however, is the fact I can see the edge of the lense for my left eye, which I find really, really annoying and cannot learn to ignore. The optometrist tried three different lenses before the warranty ran out but never did solve the problem, and I'm darned if I'm shelling out $800 for another lense with no guarantees it will all come good. So the lenses have been relegated to special occasions use only, and I'm happily sticking with my glasses as I see better with them anyway, and they're more convenient.
  23. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

It's easier to put on hard/gas permeable lenses, but harder to remove them than soft leneses.
  24. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I find gas permeable lenses much easier to put in and take out. To take them out, I would squint, but my finger on the outside corner of my eye, and pull, which would lift the lens off my eye. I'd open my eye slowly and grab the lens. As long as I went slowly, I didn't drop the lens.
  25. quartz

I just bend over my palm, pull my eye tight from the outside corner, blink, and they pop out.
  26. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

Same here, although every once in a while the lens would slip under the eyelid and then be a pain to maneuver to where it would pop out. Fortunately, that didn't happen very often.
  27. quartz

^ yes, this has happened to me as well; not fun!
  28. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

Today was the 5th day. The right one seems to be settling better, but they are still annoying. Hopefully week two will be when I stop noticing they are in all the time.
  29. Bunny Hop

Bunny Hop Accept no substitutes

My optometrist supplied a little plastic tool that looks like a teeny-tiny plunger to use when taking the lenses out. Pulls them straight off my eye, no hassles.

Like this