Anyone Watching 'Dallas' on TNT?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by duane, Jun 14, 2012.

1. duane

duane New Member

This is one of my all-time favorite shows (up to a certain period), so I'm trying to give it a go. But so far...well, lets just say I hope it gets better.

2. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

JR's eyebrows are scary

3. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

No. Nothing can match the OTT fabulousness of the original cast.
    I will say, however, that Miss Linda Gray is looking divine at 71!!

4. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

I watched about the last 15 minutes of it. I agree about JR's eyebrows. Surely "the great and powerful JR" wouldn't have let his eyebrows look so sorrowful ;-)
    Miss Linda at 71 -- ohhh that I would look so good at 60. She is divine!

5. ks1227

ks1227 Well-Known Member

How many of the original cast members made an appearance on the first show?

6. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I'll watch for a few weeks and see what happens.
    The writers are setting this up very much like the original series; with everyone blackmailing everyone else, for their own purposes.

Whether the acting/story will make you care, is another matter.

I watched the original series - and enjoyed it - until Bobby's death was unwisely made into "a bad dream".

When a soap opera "betrays its' own reality" - as the writers did when they brought Bobby "back from the dead" - it loses credibility with the audience.
    What makes these stories effective is that the viewer "believes" in the world created by the writers; and enters into it -accepting whatever premise is created, if it is done well.

The original series "mocked" the reality they worked so hard to make.
    They lost me because of it.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  7. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I gave up about halfway through. After seeing an interview with Larry Hagman about how"excited" he was to still be working at 80, seeing his character virtually comatose was too depressing. Seems like they introduced too many plot threads at one: Bobby dying and selling the ranch, Christopher secretly discovering oil (and how secret could a drilling operation be?), JR's state, and John Ross' wedding and the old girlfriend.... It was all too much for me to absorb - and that was only the first half-hour!

I'll probably tune in next week if only because there's not a lot else to watch on Wednesdays, but I'm thinking that this incarnation is not going to come close to the orignial in popularity.

8. skatesindreams

No worries, JR's "comatose" state didn't last.
    He's in the middle of "everything".

9. duane

duane New Member

Larry Hagman, Patrick Duffy, Linda Gray, Charlene Tilton, and Steve Kanaly. Hagman looks scary, Gray looks amazing, Duffy looks ok but older than 63, Tilton looks like a neighborhood drunk, and Kanaly looks bloated.

I SO hope that Victoria Principal and Ken Kercheval make an appearance sometime in the future, and I wonder if they plan to include Sasha Mitchell (JR's illegitimate son) into the new story.

10. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I wondered about Victoria too - but she hasn't acted in more than 10 years, and seems to be focusing on philanthropic projects instead, along with her very successful businesses.

Interesting line in her Wiki profile:

11. skatesindreams

Ms. Principal always was - and is - much more than a "pretty face".

12. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Thank goodness. I felt the show really picked up when he showed up at the Ball and was the JR we know and love to hate. I do believe he was never nominated for an emmy, and I don't know why. His JR is such a hoot.
    Linda G does look great and so does Patrick. Charlene has not aged well.
    I read that Ken K will be making an appearance. I really enjoyed JR and Sue Ellen's scene. JR did truly love Sue Ellen, and looks like he still does.

I watched with very low expectations, and plan to watch again. Not as bad as I thought. Will have to see if it gets better. I do like that John Ross is not all bad and Christopher is not all good. Who sent the email? Was it Rebecca & Tommy in their plan?? And sadly the situation with JR will make it plausible for his character to possibly die soon, based on Hagman's own health.

I have an idea as to who Rebecca is, and hope it is so (there is someone from the original show, shown briefly, with that middle name, and that name is can not be an accident). Great potential there, or another idea I saw posted on TWOP was intriguing also.

I read on TWOP the 'history' has been revised, basically ignoring the last few seasons. If the show lasts they do have so many folks that can show up to make trouble - James and his son. Maybe Michelle was pregnant when she left? Callie's son -was it JRs or ? Bobby's son Lucas that was raised by Ray.

13. skatesindreams

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  14. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

Premiere ratings for "Dallas":
    http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...arss-number-1-scripted-cable-premiere/138150/

15. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I made it a point of watching the first of this new generation of Dallas last night, and did. 'Dallas' was one of my all time favorite show, until -1)they killed Bobby, 2)Victoria left the show. After that, I watched the episodes but never enjoyed them much.

I was thrilled to just hear the opening music of 'Dallas'. So far I don't have an opinion; will have to watch a few more episodes. John Ross seems to be the new JR; Christopher the new Bobby. Of all the characters from the old series, I miss Victoria the most. She and Bobby made such a great pairing on the screen!

I am not sure who this Ann character (Bobby's wife) in this series is. Did I miss part of the old series when he married her? I remember him marrying April Stevens, whom I did not care for. Wasn't Pam Ewing supposed to be dying soon, the last time she appeared (Victoria look alike, actually, not Victoria herself) in the series? So I don't expect to see her.

In the new series, I thought the actress who plays Elena looks too old to be the girl friend of either John Ross or Christopher who look much younger than her. I can't believe how old the original cast looks. Duffy looks OK. JR looks too old, but hasn't lost his (evil) touch. Linda Gray looks OK, considering she is 71 (I never knew she was that old!).

It could turn out to be a good series, but without the original characters, I doubt that I would have watched the first episode. I am wondering how long the original cast is going to be around? Bobby has cancer and he is dying in this story.

16. duane

duane New Member

Same here Vash. Only watching because I LOVE the old series and cast.

In regards to the original, I didn't watch the year after they killed off Bobby. I watched again when he returned, but the show really went downhill after Pam/Principal left. I HATED when they paired Bobby with April (which didn't make sense because Bobby would never date a woman who slept with JR). I hope Principal returns simply to see Bobby and Pam back together! It's too bad that the series didn't allow them to have kids.

17. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

I watched the first hour, DVR'd the second. I don't know how well I weill be able to get into the series with the younger Ewings instead of the older ones being the stars.

I wasn't obsessed with Dallas like I was with Knot's Landing, but seeing the opening scenes with the music gave me chills.

JRs eyebrows OMG Every time he's on screen, they make me need to squint. Somebody cut those things!

Patrick Duffy - does he really look this old/bad or did they make him look "sick"

Lucy - OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ray looked good.

Don't remember, what happened to Pamela?

They could bring in Val and Gary Ewing's kids, Bobby and Betsy. They'd be almost 30!!

Funny - we usually went ice skating or out on Friday nights and didn't have VCRs back then. But I knew about the who shot JR mystery. We were at the rink at a 10-midnight moonlight skate on a Friday night, and they turned on the lights and turned off the music and announced over the PA system "who shot JR" right after it aired that night.

18. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Sigh, I miss Knots :(

A few years ago when I was living in the US, one of the cable soap channels started running it late at night, and then I moved back to Canada - the few eps I saw looked GREAT.

Sadly only seasons 1 and 2 are on DVD, back when it was a boring domestic soap focused on Karen and the Ewings. It got really good when things shifted to Abby, Sumner and Paige a few seasons in - those are the years I'd love to have on DVD!

19. Vash01

Pam and Bobby are making plans to have kids while Pam is driving alone, on an isolated highway, talking on her cell phone. Suddenly a huge truck appears from out of nowhere. She crashes into it. There is a huge explosion.

Next we see Pam in the hospital, burned all over, bandaged all over, not knowing if she will live. She is moved to some kind of a facility (not sure what kind) to be looked after. She is treated by a plastic surgeon and looks almost like the Pam before the accident (played by another actress). She requests a meeting with Bobby, IIRC, and then she tells him that she is in love with the doctor who saved her life, and she was going to marry the doctor. Bobby is devastated. He walks out.

Then the doctor comes in and Pam reveals that she is about to die of some mysterious disease, and instead of telling Bobby the truth, she told him that she planned to marry the doctor. This was totally unbelievable, considering the kind of relationship Bobby and Pam had.

Anyway, that was the end of Pamela Ewing, and the end of Victoria Principal on that show.

I never liked the year without Bobby either. They killed his character, then brought him back because fans wanted him. He & Pam were happy together again, and then they killed Pam's character. The series was never the same after that.

20. skatesindreams

21. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I too preferred Knots, but I liked Dallas as well. Never was particularly fond of JR (never a fan of anti-heroes), and much preferred Bobby and Pam. And OMG, I just adored Dusty...

I am really enjoying the new show. I have to say that Bobby better not die. His presence on this show is similar to what Miss Ellie brought to the original series--weight and a real honour to history. I find Larry Hagman's JR way too cartoonish.

Also, I'll forgive the fact that Lucy should have as much a right to Southfork as John Ross and Christopher, but the show has always made a point that the Ewings are a very male-dominated family. Whatever...but what about the twins? Betsy may be a woman, but Bobby is all man! Cast the twins! While you're at it, get Gary on the show. Ted Shackleford is still hot!

I am glad they will be keeping the opening credits. Hopefully, they'll begin inserting shots of the cast.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  22. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Funny thing is he and Valene were only on Dallas for 8-9 episodes before they got the spin off - which lasted 300+ eps. Ted Shackelford is now a regular character on the Y&R - again 300+ eps! He was also on the very shortlived but very delicious 90s series Savannah.

I haven't seen the new Dallas, but I wonder if all the old characters are there just to suck you in, and then they'll soon shift to the young ones, which occasional appearances if the producers think they need it. The new Melrose Place did that (didn't last) and 90210 (still going).

23. skatesindreams

ITA.

JR was so OTT and self-interested, that it was hard to feel sympathy; or "root" for him.
    I adored Dusty because he really loved Sue Ellen.

24. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

Waaaaah!!!!! I still have the final episode, the movie and the reunion show on a VCR tape.

Sorry if this is not about Dallas (except that Gary was a Ewing and he and Val were on Dallas a couple times, and Bobby and JR visited Knots Landing so HA ;-) !!). Just want to hijack the thread for a minute - Or do we want to make a whole new KL thread ? Would we get many participants?

Anyway, when I broke my leg in 1996, they were showing Knots Landing reruns on TBS every morning at 11:00, so I had something to look forward to. OH - - my boyfriend was staying with me, and my dad happened to be over doing yard work or something one morning and came and sat for part of KL (probably because I made him wait for the commercial to talk!!). It was the episode where Gary's girlfriend, Jill, was trying to get Val to take pills so it looked like she committed suicide. I, of course, was riveted to the screen again (they never did show reruns right after the regular season!!!) and so were my dad and boyfriend. I knew what was coming, so when she yelled "take them" or whatever, I was looking out of the corner of my eye and both my dad and boyfriend jumped a mile. hee hee

I liked the Karen and Sid and Ewing and Laura and Karen early stuff. I did not like Kenny and Ginger. Or Valene's parade of goofball relatives. I liked the things the dealt with members of the cul-de-sac in later years better than all the extra characters they brought in and the international business dealings. Oh, every time I see William Devane on anything, I say there's Greg!! Remember when they had the memorial for Laura????? And you mentioned Paige, were you as much in love with Detective Tom Ryan as I was? I think I still have the TV Guide cover with him on it! (Still LOVE Knots Landing!)

Back to Dallas, I remember watching when Bobby came out of the shower (they made such a big deal out it; and this was before the internet), but not much after that. The whole dream thing was so stupid. That's probably why I didn't remember what happened to Pamela.

25. Vash01

I liked Knots, but not as much as Dallas.

26. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

:swoon:

I loved it when Paige came on the show, and all the stuff at the Sumner Group (is that right?). My absolute favourite was Abby though, the gorgeous Donna Mills. I'll never forget her hiding the body when she though Olivia had killed someone, and the way she scammed Gary out of his development project with her fake Japanese company.

Sigh.

27. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

I watched it last night. I ended up enjoying it, so I think I'll keep watching.

28. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Have you checked on Amazon? They have the entire series listed in season-by-season DVD sets. You can even get all 14 seasons in one shot for $333.40.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...words=dallas tv series&sprefix=Dallas,aps,212

29. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

30. duane

duane New Member

I guess this show has a viewer. :)

OMG Ken Kercheval! He and Larry Hagman look like the walking dead! But it's cool seeing JR and Cliff Barnes together again!