Anyone try Nutrisystem?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Gazpacho, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

I'm considering using it but would like to hear about others' experiences first. Thanks!

Gypsy and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Yes. The food is gross. But it works. You lose weight pretty easily, as long as you can choke the food down. It worked for me just because the food IS so gross. You REALLY don't finish a meal and say wow, that was so good I wish I could have some more! It fills the hole in your tummy without giving you the urge for seconds.

The freeze-dried burgers are pretty darn good. Surprisingly good. Sounds raunchy, they look nasty, but after sopping up hot water for a minute they actually become edible. The pizzas are tolerable. Stay away from the tuna casserole, whatever you do.

Someone once stole my shipment from the porch and they sent out a replacement shipment right away. They send stuffed bears for every ten pounds you lose. It sounds really corny, but you actually start to look forward to receiving those rainbow bears.

Oh yeah, there's a phenomena called the NutriToots because you get really, really gassy for the first few weeks.

But it works. :lol:

3. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

I have a friend who tried it, but couldn't stand it because the food was so horrible.

4. Gazpacho

Thanks for sharing. Other than the ones you mentioned, are there any other foods to steer toward or away from?

5. Integrity

Integrity Active Member

Tried it for perhaps a month a few years back. I agree the food is disgusting. I gave half of it away. The snacks and desserts are tolerable :)

6. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

My sister used the plan that was five days a week, weekends off. She did it for a month and dropped seven pounds. It really did teach her portion control.

And she didn't mind the food. There was only one thing that she couldn't stand, but I don't remember what it was.

7. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Um, was it .... The Food ? :lol:

8. PrincessLeppard

;) No. It was one of the soups, I think.

9. Southpaw

The best thing to do with NS is to let them give you the "variety pack" or whatever it's called for the first shipment. You'll learn in the first month which foods are tolerable and which foods are too revolting to ever let into your house again.

For breakfast I always leaned towards the dry cereals and the breakfast bars. Powdered eggs? No thanks. The pancake mix wasn't bad, but I just didn't feel like bothering with that. I still follow the NS idea of breakfast, even though I don't eat the food. I eat a small bowl of cereal, a hard-boiled egg and a piece of fruit. NS really does train you in portion control. Now, whether or not you actually choose to put that information to use with real food is another matter, but at least you know what a controlled portion is.

For lunches I mostly chose the "just add water to the cup" products. I liked the split pea soup, the Mexican Tortilla soup, and the pasta cups like fettuccine alfredo. I even liked the chicken salad, but I think a lot of people would probably be squicked out by it.

The dinners are hit and miss, and that's something you'll just have to figure out through trial and error. They use Splenda in a couple of them and I can't stand what Splenda does on my tongue so I couldn't tolerate those. I generally leaned towards the burger, the pizza, rotini with meatballs, chicken and dumplings and the lasagna.

The desserts and snacks are pretty ok across the board.

10. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

My coach is on Nutrisystem and has lost a ton of weight (though she works out a ton as well). The food looks/smells absolutely disgusting to me, and the portions are very small. I lost a lot of weight years ago on my own system - non-fat yogurt with fruit for breakfast, Lean Cuisine for lunch, salad with vinegar and smidgen of oil for dinner. It worked and it was cheap. Some people need structure, though, where I can see Nutrisystem works.

I've also tried Slim Fast - BLECH!

I have many friends and family who swear by Weight Watchers, but to me it seems like AA for foodaholics, and sometimes the more I talk about food, the more I want, so I think it would actually make me more obsessed!

SHARPIE and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I did the same to lose about 30 pounds many years back. Breakfast shake in the morning, very lightly dressed salad at lunch, and a small piece of meat with veg for dinner. It was BORING, but after I got used to it, the weight dropped off fairly quickly.

12. SHARPIE

SHARPIE Hapless Board Owner Staff Member

Sounds great, I like the structured diets. I did a VLCD diet to blast off the weight Id gained from steroids. 50lb off in just over 4 months and it's stayed off for a year as that really taught me a lot about portion control as well.

I found it easier cos diets such as WW etc make me obsess more over food, wondering where I can use my points and thinking non stop re the next meal. End up thinking more about food than ever. Stuff like a VLCD or this sort of diet where you have your meals delivered or you pick them up for the week takes that away. :) Hope it does the trick for you!

ETA - I see Bonita more or less said exactly the same thing! LOL!

13. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

I know people who have lost weight on the pre-packaged food programs, but in most cases, it came back on. But note, I said in 'most cases'. I think the same can be said for any weight management program -- different things work for different people. I tried Jenny Craig and grew to hate it because I found the 'counsellors' rather condescending. I'm one who hates having to go to meetings and 'check in' with others, so WeightWatchers Online has been perfect for me. I'm learning portion control without having to go to meetings.

But...whatever works for you!

14. Southpaw

Not me! :saint:

Now where are my congratulatory mittens?

15. jp1andonly

jp1andonly Well-Known Member

i tried it for a month in previous times and it was so disgusting I ended up throwing most of it out. I'm not a fan of the "buy our stuff" diets because once you stop eating their "stuff" the weight goes back on. If anything, go for weight watchers where you can make your own meals....

16. PrincessLeppard

My sister has not gained back the weight she lost on Nutrisystem, because it showed her how much she was over-eating. It's all about what you learn from it.

17. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

I have no experience with this but I did notice last time Nutrisystem was on the Shopping Channel, they said that it was improved. I can't remember if they said so specifically, but I took that to mean taste wise, since that's always been the complaint.

Might mean nothing, but I thought I'd mention it.

18. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

How much do these programs stress exercise? Because in my experience, unless you are making a habit of working out to the point where you need a nap afterwards, all the "portion control" in the world isn't going to do you a bit of good.

19. a56

a56 New Member

I bought a couple of Nutrisystem overstock dinners at Big Lots. :p It didn't taste that bad.

20. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

This guide has a lot of good information: http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/healthy/news/dietdelivery_nutrisystem

It's interesting to note that the vegetarian plan apparently tastes a lot better.

These struck me as well, from The Nutritionist's Take at the bottom:

21. mikey

mikey ...an acquired taste

I tried Nutrisystem a few years ago and really liked it. I lost about 55 pounds on the program, but I also exercised like a dog. Perhaps my palate is not as sophisticated as some others who have posted, but I didn't think the food was that bad. It is a diet, so the fat and sugars are cut down, but I expected as much. I chose a plan that had both prepackaged foods and also frozen foods that were delivered separately. Breakfasts were things like cereal, muffins, granola bars, egg white omelets, pankakes, and the odd breakfast burrito. The forzen lunches were similar to Hot Pockets, and the pre-packaged ones were things like tortilla soup, black bean soup, and - gosh, I can't remember. Dinners were mainly microwave dinners- the frozen ones were tastier, but there were only about 6 or so options. The prepackaged ones had more variety. Portion sizes seemed small initially, but after a few days, I didn't even notice, and remarkably, I was never hungry. There are afternoon snacks and evening snacks- things like ice cream sundaes and sandwiches, which were quite good, and a variety of salty mixes and bland coockies and things like lemon bars that were dense but served their purpose. All in all, I didn't find the food to be all that bad, but what got me over time was the lack of variety. Fortunately, by the time I started feeling that, I had lost more weight than I had ever intended to lose, and I learned a lot about portion control, so I didn't need the plan any more. You can certainly lose weight easily with other methods, but Nutrisystem is really easy and convenient.

22. Southpaw

NS pushes exercise, but that wasn't my problem area because I was already exercising when I started their program. My problem was portion control, and I already drank a lot of water, so I had half the battle already won going into the program.

23. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

I am actually on it right now and maybe its just me but I don't find the food that bad :shuffle:
    For me it's great because I work full time and teach part time so I am always on the run and its so easy with this plan as the food is there are ready and takes 90 seconds...:p
    For breakfast I really like the chocolate muffins and the cereal too, the portions are really tiny though but apparently that is what we are supposed to eat :D
    The chocolate bars for desert are excellent - my favourite being the chocolate mint - tastes just like a yorkie.. also the peanut butter ones are yummy, I really look forward to them at night..

The lunches and dinners for me have been hit and miss - like southpaw said get a variety pack.. I also love the freeze dried burger.. and also the sausage rice and lasagna.. I even like the pizza bread thing.. not been a huge fan of the lunches but do like the split pea soup and the bean soup..

What has worked for me (I have lost 7 pounds in the first 2.5 weeks) is that I'm eating so many fresh vegetables and fruit.. which if you knew me would be shocking (my athlete daughter is impressed).. initially because I was starving - well the first few days and now I'm kinda hooked on having a small entree and a plate of veggies.. grocery shopping is very easy I just go to market and pick up fruit and veg for the week - costs about $20 and that's it as the rest of the food is provided..
    For people who are too busy to cook, on the run and need portion control - its much easier than weight watchers. Plus the food is delivered too.. so easy..
    We are celebrating our 25th with a trip to Europe so that is my motivation I want new clothes ;)
    I think I'm going to do it for another month and then when the weight loss is done I'm going to head to weight watchers to hopefully lose some more and maybe even maintain.. well that's the plan :p Good luck..

24. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

That's why I had a much slower start with Weight Watchers than a lot of people with my start weight. I already eat moderately healthy foods, and at the time I was still skating regularly and drinking lots of water. Portion sizes and a love of pasta and cheese are my issues. :rolleyes:

25. Gypsy

Gypsy Watching the Leaves Change!

If you talk to any doctor they will tell you this is a very balanced program. (great for diabetics)
    If you go to the meetings, it is hit an miss finding a group that works. Some focus on the food, some focus on what makes people overeat. But, you can join online and get everthing the program offers.

I have tried so many different diets, and Weight Watcher is the only one that really taught me how to eat well and keep the weight off. Also, I lost weight all over, not just some areas.

26. mikey

mikey ...an acquired taste

Interesting- how is it possible for your body to lose weight in just certain areas and not others?

Gypsy and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Gypsy

Gypsy Watching the Leaves Change!

Great Question...

If you fad diet, you do not get an all over fat burn.

On diets that were not properly balanced, my face and tummy would lose the fat, but not my arms and legs. Also, because the weight may come off faster, you can look flabby because the skin does not "shrink" quickly.

Also, with fad diets some of what can be lost is actually muscle weight and can make the weight loss look out of proportion.

28. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

Are you going to stick with your diet plan when you go to Europe? It would be a shame if you did not sample the delicious food there, especially the pastries (YUM!).

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Gazpacho

An update: I haven't tried Nutrisystem, but I did start Diet-To-Go. The food is surprisingly tasty. I'm on the lunch and dinner menu and have only tried two of the lunches, which were acceptable. But the dinners are surprisingly very tasty. I heat them in the oven, which I think makes a good difference.