Anyone here who works for United or Continental airlines?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by judiz, May 1, 2010.

1. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

I read that Continental and United will be merging and the name Continental will disappear. I have tickets to fly Continental in July. Should I be worried? I looked on Continental's website but there was no info listed about the merger.

2. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

I would suspect that it should be ok for your trip, call!

On the other hand I am sure there will be many layoffs and changes to things with both airlines!

3. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

I'm not sure they're merging....they do share Frequent Flyer miles now. But even if they're merging they have to honor pre-existing tickets so you should be fine.

4. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

You will be fine, even if your tickets are further out than that. They won't even be operating as a merged airline by then -- they will still have separate aircraft, check-in, baggage, and probably booking websites. It is harder to consolidate two big enterprises like this than you might imagine. I'd guess that it would take well over a year. (Delta's merger with Northwest certainly took longer than that.)

The only time where I would really anticipate a problem -- and I doubt as early as this summer -- is if the consolidated airline either drops some cities or is forced by anti-trust reasons to drop some cities. But that is a LONG way from now.

Enjoy your trip. July should be absolutely fine -- really anything booked to fly in 2010 is unlikely to see any difference at all -- my guess is that the summer of 2011 is the earliest you're likely to see any significant changes.

5. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Delta and Northwest took at least two years to finally merge all the way. Don't expect this one to go faster!

6. BreakfastClub

BreakfastClub Active Member

Because they haven't even merged yet. The deal is expected to be announced on Monday, and is likely to happen, but talks on deals this huge fall through and/or get delayed all the time.

And as others have said, it took Delta and Northwest about 2 years to merge operations and officially phase out the NWA callsign. (And there are still planes flying around in NWA paint that haven't made it to the hangar yet.) US Airways and America West took a similar length of time to merge.

If this happens, the only difference you'll see as passenger -- in about 2 years down the road are -- the name of airline/flight #, the paint on your plane (in most cases ;)) and the website you have to go to to perform transactions. And you'll get massive advance warning.

7. ebayj

ebayj New Member

What BreakfastClub said. No need to be concerned about anything at this point. The governing boards making the decisions are voting today - if there is a merger it will be all over the news tomorrow, and then will take years to fully realize. Many antitrust considerations, among other things. Hopefully it will be done better than DL + NW. Much more speculation and information can be found at:

www.flyertalk.com
    www.airliners.net

on the news forums, or under the respective airline programs. I read a ton of avionics news for fun, and this merger has been predicted for ages. In the end there will be three dominant US carriers - DL+NW, CO+UA, and American. That is great if you live in a coveted transcon market/international gateway like I do (San Francisco), but this is bad news for smaller airports and smaller markets, unless Southwest swoops in to force fare competition.

For me, this is probably the final nail in my allegiance to NW/DL/KLM/Air France - Delta has done an abysmal job with the merger with NW, and living in San Francisco is a real impetus to use United/Star Alliance members.

8. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

United and continental have already become affiliated, not merged (yet, however). United, Luthansa, etc. have been Star Alliance partners for many years. Continental was Sky team until last January, when it switched over to Star Alliance. This may have been in preparation for the merger. Already, many international flights between the US and Europe have switched from Lufthansa to Continental. United never really operated it's own flights into Europe, they partnered with Lufthansa. Now, with Continental on board, they seem to be taking advantage of the many "non-stop" flights Continental has been providing into European cities. Domestic Continental travel might be more likely to be effected by existing United flights. But, as I said, United and Continental have already been partnering since January. I don't think anyone's purchased tickets will be effected and I don't think there will be any major scheduling cut backs.

9. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2010