Anyone going to Sochi in 2014?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by ehdtkqorl123, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

Ahh, Long live the Olympic experience ^_^

I bet you i get there, the hotel will be a 40 minute drive away, It'll take another 40 minutes to get
    past security, Because they can't understand a word i'm saying, I'll be seated in the 92nd row, all of my favourite skaters would lose
    and i would have to use all my savings that i have left from buying this adventure just to bail myself out of Russian prison,
    Because a police officer caught me holding hands with a dude on the street XD

2. ostile17

ostile17 Well-Known Member

After Vancouver I swore to myself I would never go to the Olympics again! Yet here I am, trying for tickets, and spending a fortune for feeling miserable once more... Long live the Olympic experience indeed!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  3. ehdtkqorl123

ehdtkqorl123 New Member

Does anyone know how Olympic event tickets are allocated?
    Is it always like the hosting country gets about 70% and the rest of countries get 30%?
    How is this ratio determined?

4. ostile17

Sucks! I've just been offered tickets from my NOC: Men's SP Cat B and Men's FP Cat C. I want to go badly but I know I will be feeling awful sitting miles away from the ice, for a total cost of €500! The point is, will I be feeling worse not going at all? I have three days to decide... :rolleyes:

5. ehdtkqorl123

ehdtkqorl123 New Member

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...x-Interior_of_the_Iceberg_Skating_Palace1.jpg

Considering the fact that BCD sections are in the upper bowl, the view might be horrible depending on your location.. Look at those horrific bars!!

6. ostile17

Even without the horrific bars those categories suck anyway! That's why I asked for Cat A, but go figure, for a change Italy's NOC has only shit!

And by the way, that picture really makes you feel like giving up! It may actually work as good deterrent for me, with a bit of luck! :rolleyes:

7. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Did you contact the official Italian reseller or the CONI? I have just bought my tickets without any problem.

8. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

If it reduces to only having seats like that, I think a better option might be to book a flight and hotel, Try to score good seats outside the event,
    And if unsuccesful just go sit at a Restaurant and watch it on your Laptop

9. ostile17

Oh really, which category and how did you buy them? I have contacted the official Italian reseller that CONI refers to (Jakala Events) and they can only let me buy Cat C and B. Is there any other way to buy tickets?

10. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

I have answered you via PM but maybe there is someone else here who needs the same infos :)
    I bought category C tickets through Jakala Events, but I think you can also buy tickets with CoSport, though they are more expensive there. They have category A too.

11. ostile17

Actually a B Cat for Men's SP is less expensive with Cosport than with Jakala events, Pingu ;).
    But nothing at all for Men's FP on Cosport right now!

12. ehdtkqorl123

ehdtkqorl123 New Member

Is anyone planning to go to Sochi from North America?
    I googled it to find that most flights have at least 2 transfers via Amsterdam and Moscow.
    Also, it costs more than $2500~3000 for round trip. I have never been to Europe so I don't know if this is usually the case.
    If anyone has been to GPF in Sochi last year, mind sharing how the trip was???
    Is it better to buy tickets online (like expedia or priceline) or through travel agencies? Any recommendations for flight airlines?
    Thanks

13. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

I've been considering doing a kickstarter or IndieGoGo campaign to help raise money so I can do my podcast from the Olympics. And I've spoken with a few people/coaches/skaters about prizes I can give donors at different levels (like big donors can get private lesson and dinner with xxx skater, smaller donors get signed books, etc). But I've never bought tickets for an Olympics before, and it seems tough to do this close to the event, and especially when visas are needed for travel. Is there anyone here who is very knowledgeable about attending Olympics who would be willing help me off-line with organizing this? Thank you!

14. senorita

senorita New Member

Pegasus airlines from Ukraine seems to kave cheaper flights now.

15. SandraMGfan

SandraMGfan Active Member

We've booked our flights. We're going London-Kiev-Sochi for £590 return (and good times)
    I would have preferred a direct flight from London, but nothing on offer yet, and I think they'll be a rip-off if/once they are available...

Now just waiting for hotels to open up bookings! This is starting to look like a trip ;)

16. somcutza

somcutza Member

Hi, Sandra. What company are you flying with? (I'm trying to find a match for Bucharest-Sochi - I've only found smth. on Turkish but I really don't like the dates. I've lowered my expectations to Men only; so I'm planning a trip only for 12-15 of Feb.

17. somcutza

somcutza Member

ostile17, hello. Have you managed to find what you wanted? A - only for Men, both Short and Free? I'm kinda interested in the same thing. The more I think the more I tend to limit my trip to Russia to only that - I'm mostly worried about the hotels' prices; I think 3-4 nights won't kill me. (as it will 6 or 7). On the other hand, B, C and D don't look nice. D is not even for sale. Romania can obtain its tickets through a California-based ATR - but they will only confirm they give me the A's in June. (I have some doubts, by the way: I've never been to the Olympics and I would have loved to see more FS; but buying C's will only be frustrating, I suppose. Which is why your thought - A and only A for Men only - might seem the right thing to do. But an expensive travel to Russia only for that? (including VISA, planes and so on...; pffff, it's hard).

From what I understand, are you coming from Italy...? (you were talking about Jakala events...) So, Europe. Have you managed to look around for planes. Though Sochi seems near, it might be hard to get there. I only found something through Istanbul; and I'm not taking into consideration Moscow for a stop...

18. SandraMGfan

Our flights are with Ukrainian Airlines. I wasn't sure at first as I've never used them, but Turkish Airlines schedule is not good timewise, and the other options were through Moscow. Which doesn't make sense from a geographical point of view.

19. ostile17

No way I was able to get A's for Men, I am stuck with B and C, I know I will be crying for frustration once I'm there (if I indeed go). I am told an upgrade will be offered to me if A's should become available, but I doubt the Russians will offer those to Jakala events, considering Plushenko is/may be competing and that might be the most popular event!

No, I haven't checked flights at all: I booked so much in advance for Vancouver and ended up paying more, that I thought I would wait. There is a direct flight these days from my city to Moscow. If they keep it for the Olys, then I might consider going via Moscow. But it's all still up in the air!

But hey, if you get A's I would say go for it: even if only for the Men's events (if that's what you are more interested in, like me), it would totally be worth it! We can plan to meet, if you want!

20. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

erm... don't want to spoil the party but I would avoid using the Ukranian Airlines (and Aeroswit). They are known for cancelling flights or charging extra on the spot. We hear the stories of the flights being cancelled (Kiev-Tel Aviv) all the time....

21. somcutza

somcutza Member

Thank you, Sandra. I'm waaay behind you. I'm not sure - even to this point - what events to take into consideration when it comes to FS (I mean, I know for sure that I want Men and Dance - but our ATR only began selling (booking, in fact) at the beginning of March; they'll confirm the events in June. I still have some options, but I've been a bit discouraged by the whole accommodation thing; I-m worried the prices will go higher and higher or I'll maybe forced to stay 2 hours far from the Coastal Cluster. I've never been to the Olympics so I'm worried about the costs - this is for sure. I guess I'll need some reassuring from someone who's been to Olympic FS in advance. What are you planning to see?

Your trip sounds ok - London-Kiev-Sochi. I'm not a fan of Moscow too. I'll probably take Istanbul in consideration; or even Chisinau (in Moldova).

22. SandraMGfan

Too late. It's booked. We've read lot of reviews and many were commenting that the service has actually improved. And it's for the OG. I believe they will be on better behaviour than their other regular services (I experienced the Tube during the London Olympics - 2 dreamy weeks that went back to nightmare the day the OG were over).

Unfortunately, I cannot afford to wait for BA to have one direct flight and charge £1000 for it :(

23. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

I really hope their service in general is great and it's Tel Aviv line that sucks

24. somcutza

somcutza Member

You, Europeans, going to Sochi, please let us, the rest, know what flights are you considering for getting there. I only see Turkish (via Istanbul) and Ukrainian (but this doesn't work for me, at least, for the moment...) Anything through Vienna, Frankfurt, Milano, Rome...?

Thank you.

25. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

26. senorita

senorita New Member

For anyone who have bought from Co Sport, they send the tickets on January right?
    Can you get the Visa with only the receipt of the ticket that they give so far?And do they guarantee that tickets will arrive on time for the trip? Another official reseller told me that they wont have the option of picking the tickets at Sochi.
    My sisters works in the quality surveys of european air companies and she told me Pegasus is good.So is Turkish airlines but their schedule is strange.

27. somcutza

somcutza Member

Senorita, where are you coming from? (still trying to figure out a potential route for Sochi; which is, indeed, an awkward destination; it's not far, but seems untouchable).

As regards Cosport, don't they give you the option of picking up the tickets in Sochi? I kinda feel comfortable with the option of picking them up there (as the ATR for Romania, Cartan, says it will do...)

28. morqet

morqet Well-Known Member

CoSport had the option of picking up tickets in London for the summer games; while I was queueing to pick mine up, I spoke to a few people who had arranged to have them mailed to them, but the tickets hadn't arrived in time - they only send them out a month before the event so there's not much room for any mistakes, and a lot of people ended up having to travel to London without having their tickets. If you can, choose the option to pick your tickets up in Sochi. The collection system might not be the smoothest, but at least you can speak to someone in person & resolve it on the spot if there are any problems.

29. somcutza

somcutza Member

Totally agree on that.

30. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

I picked up my tickets in Vancouver when I went. The option of having them sent cost a lot more. It involved some waiting in line but it was ok.