Anyone going to Sochi in 2014?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by ehdtkqorl123, Jan 11, 2013.

1. ehdtkqorl123

ehdtkqorl123 New Member

I know it is too early to discuss about Sochi Olympics.
    However, ticket will be on sale pretty soon and we don't have much information about Sochi such as accommodations, transportations, safety, etc.
    So I think it might be good to open a thread to discuss about all these things with those who are interested.

I did some research, and found that the ticketing will be reallllly touch for non-Russian residents.
    Also there arent many direct flights to Sochi.
    Also I heard that the rink is located in the middle of nowhere so it is really hard to access (may be improved in the future..)

Anyways if anyone has some information , let's share :)

2. Anya

Anya Member

The ice rink is located in the middle of the Olympic Park, alongside with venues for speed skating, curling and ice hockey. It is roughly 15 minutes drive from the airport and roughly the same distance to Adler, which is now considered to be Sochi's suburb. "Proper" Sochi is further away along the coast. I think they will run shuttle buses service between Sochi/Adler and the Olympic Park (and another one for the events (like Alpine Ski) in so-called "Mountain Cluster" above Adler).

http://www.sochi2014.com/en/ is the official website with a lot of photos and such.

3. Pikachuusb

Pikachuusb Active Member

We were planning on going to Sochi after flying into St Petersburg & Moscow. I even started studying Russian, so I would have a slight understanding of the language, although I wasnt going to need to thanks to a friend. A friend of ours from the Ukraine, who lives in Vegas, was going to be our travel guide and then split off to visit her parents in the Ukraine while we were enjoying the Olympics. However we are having a house built right now, so our plans to go got altered :/

4. eleonorad

eleonorad New Member

what do you mean by "touch" ?

5. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I think the word was supposed to be "tough". I had heard something to that effect too, but have no idea as to whether it is accurate or not.

6. TwizzlerS

TwizzlerS Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if there are travel agencies that have packages for a trip to the Sochi Olympics? I'm in the US and am interested in going mainly to see the figure skating of course.

7. ehdtkqorl123

ehdtkqorl123 New Member

Opps, typo... :)

8. lamarenee

lamarenee Active Member

The official travel agency and ticket broker is a company called CoSport -- www.cosport.com. I have never used their services, but some people have had great experiences with them, some not so great.

9. SandraMGfan

SandraMGfan Active Member

Here in the UK, you could do an "Expression of Interest" with Cosport, and listing what events you are interested in (by January 7th). Once they have their allocated tickets, we will be able to purchase (on a first come first serve basis I believe).
    I'm giving it a try, and I've put skating events from week 2 in my list. Fingers crossed.
    For the London 2012, both a friend and my father managed to get tickets through the France official reseller (EventTeam). So I'll give this a shot too!

10. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I bought tickets from CoSport for Torino. It depends on the rules set for each Games, but they had live sales (not lottery) for Torino. I got just what I had picked online. I didnt book accommodations there.

11. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

I used CoSport for tickets to Vancouver. They released tickets in phases. So over the course of a few months I was able to get all the skating tickets I wanted. You just have to register and keep checking. Of course, they cost an arm and a leg but that's another story. I did buy a couple of the "Hospitality" packages, which included tickets to two different events and a day in their Hospitality room. The Hospitality room turned out to be awesome. All the food and drink you wanted, great service and a nice environment. And some of my tickets were just straightforward tickets, not part of a package. I spent loads of money but had saved up beforehand because it was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I'll probably never have the chance to go to the Olympics again.

12. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

13. ross_hy

ross_hy Active Member

The Expression of Interest was available in the US as well. CoSport said you didn't have to fill one out in order to get tickets; I think it was more for them to help gauge demand. To me, what's different for Sochi as opposed to London is the language barrier (obviously) although I think all Olympic-related areas will have plenty of English speakers and signage. I've done a little looking at hotels and most in Sochi are Russian-based chains with the exception of a few Radisson properties. London was a lot easier to book for me because there were so many American-based chain hotels there. I'll probably have to sit Sochi out and wait for 2018 unless some bargains pop up.

14. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

I promised my 12 yr. old niece during the drive back from the 2010 Mens Olympic FS, wherein we watched live Evgeni Plushenko win the Olympic Silver Medal, that we were going to the 2014 Sochi Olympics if Zhenya will be there also competing. And that's all I have to say about that. :hat1:

15. os168

os168 Active Member

Would love to go, but it must be really hard to get the premier tickets for skating without costing a fortune. We tried to get London Olympic tickets and got nowhere, it is all bit of a lottery. Luckily, we were able to get Men's final100 m ticket, but it cost like £380 each. On the 'resell' market (not endorsed officially), they should be worth about £2000+. I am hesitant to go through an agency, since they are selling them like secondary tickets. I expect the hospitality packages can easily cost a few grand. You add a family of 4, it is a very expensive event.

16. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

I'm dying to go. I have quite a bit of money saved up. But I keep questioning whether it would be a sensible decision. But to see Plushenko skate on the biggest stage of all...that would be magical. But it's a long haul from Australia...

17. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Well-Known Member

It looks like all co sports has right now are packages including hotel and unrelated events

Probably not going anyway, too far. Feel so stupid I thought It was too expensive in Vancouver... At least it was nearby!

I would assume that Sochi would try and have lots of English language signs and help at hotels etc - I would think they would use the Olympics as a way to get more international tourists too in the future.

18. gofigure

gofigure Active Member

There are a number of new hotels being built just outside the Olympic Park. We stayed at the Radisson Blu for the GPF which was beautiful and is a 10 minute bus ride to the arena. But it will be expensive to stay there during the Olympics. The Russians are hiring people for all kinds of positions from all parts of the World who are multi-lingual so I doubt there will be any language issues in Sochi. It is a beautiful place and if you can go to the Olympics I highly recommend it.

19. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

I'm!
    The matter is how to buy tix! Paid 600 bucks a month into an installment savings account since last July though....

20. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

If distance is not an issue, I would say Go. Even though I got several skating tickets in 2010, I can honestly say that I would've had just as much fun had I not gone to any sporting events (well, *almost*). I am sure Sochi will have a ton of free events for the public. Yes, there will be line-ups and crowds but that will be part of the appeal.

21. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Oh, it all seems so complicated to me. Actually, I'll be happy if I can see it on tv.

22. SandraMGfan

I was allocated 3 out of the 7-8 events I expressed interest for. Decided to buy 2 events, Free Dance and Ladies Free. Not gonna lie, they are EXPENSIVE :S
    Single tickets sales in the UK (and Australia) with Cosport starts on Monday.

23. Elkmaria

Elkmaria New Member

I originally planned to go and was even ready to pay for expensive tickets, but I was very upset when the ticket sales started: they sell tickets without assigning seats, so one can end up sitting on the last row of the lower bowl - and having been at the arena during GPF I can definitely say it's FAR from the ice - after paying about $650. Maybe I'm a chicken, but I'm not ready to take such risks... yet, at least. Yeah, I had bought a ticket without a seat assigned for approximately the same price before, but it was an all-event, not ONE event.

Anyway, I've just checked the ticket site, and everything is sold out, so now I don't have to worry about taking a decision :lol:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  24. somcutza

somcutza New Member

Unfortunately, not being to the Olympics before, I neglected to look information about the tickets in advance; so I ended up on CoSport website on the 10th of January; theree days after the Expression of Interest ended. Under these circumstances, I'll wait for the Live Sale on Monday. Finger crossed for that :).
    From what I've understood, You've stated your interest for almost all the figure skating events, but you've been given only three of them...? And expensive? :(. I kinda got the impression all the categories (A, B, C and D) will be on sale; and was rather interested in C... but from what you're saying I kinda understand that aren't all for sale... Could I get a price range? :) Or a category? (just to be ready :)) Up to this point, I'm intersted in men, ladies and dance; and I would like, if neccesary, to take a quick and wise decision :).

Thank you.

25. somcutza

somcutza New Member

Hello - and I have to say: I kinda envied you a little, given the fact you're living in Russia and you can buy tickets through the official site. For a citizen of Romania is rather difficult to do that; I ended up eventually on the site of CoSport; but I'm not sure I'm gonna get tickets on Monday, at the live sale...
    Anyway, I saw the tickets on the official site are almost over now, remaining only the real expensive ones in pairs Short and Men Short... But I was planning - if possible - to get tickets from the C category - is this really faaaaaar from the ice? I mean, A and B are almost unreachable; it's impossible for me to even take them into consideration. And a frustration: as a previous buyer of All-Event tickets in Worlds Figure Skating, I'm totally stressed and annoyed by the idea that I have to try to get tickets one by one (and expensive ones...) I mean: I'm a huge fan of FS (aren't we all?) and I would have very much liked to see every single event in figure skating in Sochi...
    By the way, are they selling (at the Olympics) any practice pass? I kinda wish they did; I coudl have taken a ticket or two at the official competition and would have spent the time at the practice arena... But from what I've understand this - attending the practice sessions - is not on option at the Olympic Games? Or is it? Sorry for these naive questions; never been to the Olympics before.

Thank you.

26. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

I have registered through this site http://www.tickets.sochi2014.com/ but haven't actually picked any tickets as not sure yet.. I teach so technically would have to do some wrangling to get the week off and don't fancy going by myself.. and nobody else seems interested.. so am either considering a tour.. or might go to Euro's?? I've never been to Eastern Europe so that might be my Olympics.. although I have always wanted to go to Russia.. hmm..

27. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

4rkidz: you won't be able to buy tickets at that site since you don't live in Russia. You have to create an account with CoSport and try to get tickets starting Monday at noon.

I was able to get Pairs Short and Pairs long through the "Expression of Interest". I was also offered an Opening Ceremonies ticket, but since it was $1200 (Category B), I decided against it and instead will try to get more figure skating tickets on Monday.

somcutza: all of the ticket prices are listed on the site linked above by 4rkidz, as well as on CoSport's site in various currencies.

28. SandraMGfan

4rkidz, I knew nobody when I attended FS events at Vancouver 2010 (I was lucky to live there at the time!), and met some of the best people I know while there! So give it a shot! :)

somcutza - Prices on Cosport for Cat B Free Dance (and ladies free) are €391 > that's €60-ish more than the advertised price on the Russian OC site.

I've only got Cat B tix, so I can't tell you about the other prices.

29. somcutza

somcutza New Member

Rhis seems to be an website only for the Russian citizens or the foreigners residing in Russia. For everyone alse, are the NOCs (national olympic comittees) and authorised tickets resellers.

30. Elkmaria

Elkmaria New Member

somcutza, I agree that things are easier for me as a Russian citizen - at least I had a chance to buy tickets online without figuring out where to buy them. Sorry for whining :(
    If you buy Category C, you will get a seat in the upper bowl, and it will be not the first rows (first rows are Category B). Here's the video which may give you an idea of the distance from the ice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2nmo9UCraw I'd say it's very far. I haven't been there myself, but Iceberg arena is very similar to Khodynka arena in Moscow in terms of size, and I've been to the upper bowl at Khodynka - it's really far :(
    As for practice passes, I haven't heard of anything like that yet.