Anyone ever heard of "Parkour"

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Buzz, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Not sure how to describe it except to say there is a lot of hoping and jumping around and is probably illegal. LOL Looks cool however. Has anyone actually tried it? Here is a video of Parkour. Not sure of the video's authenticity but it still looks cool. WHo needs superman or batman if people could really do these things. LOL
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEeqHj3Nj2c&feature=related

2. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Well-Known Member

Nothing illegal about it unless they are trespassing. It is very high risk and I can understand someone objecting to you attempting this stuff on their property because of fears of law suits if something goes wrong.

Some of my daughter's friends are into parkour. I've seen lots of videos and clips of people doing parkour that make the stuff on the video you posted look tame. It's also being used in a few TV commercials.

3. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

My husband, who sometimes fancies himself a ninja, watches parkour videos once in a while. But then I remind him that he's actually rather clumsy, and he moves on to cat videos. :)

4. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

I have a student right now who is into parkour. He can't sit still to save his life and is always jiggling. If I could, I would send him out to run around and leap over a few things when we're on breaks.

5. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Wow - incredible. Crazy, but incredible.

They definitely have no fear of falling - they're like divers, just repositioning mid-air.

6. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

7. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I love Parkour - I feel I'm too old and injury-prone to do it now, wish it had been around when I was in my 20s.

8. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

thanks for posting. i did a few of the things in the clip when i was young but i had no idea it had any other name than stupidity.

9. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Wow, that must be a killer for the knees and ankles...

10. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I just think about their poor knees and how they will feel when they get older. Some of the stuff they did was so very dangerous, like jumping from one building to another or doing stuff on very high ledges. One slip and they could die.

11. kia_4EverOnIce

kia_4EverOnIce New Member

12. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I thought it'd be fun to do, but I have very thin skin on my hands so they wouldn't do too well. :lol: You also need to get special shoes for the hardcore stuff, ones that are more sticky than regular sneakers. Plus I'm scared of heights, but it must be so freeing to not fear it and to know you can handle that kind of stuff.

The knee issue is mostly alleviated by rolling when they land from high jumps.

13. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  14. liv

liv Well-Known Member

a great movie sequence of parkour is the opening in the 1st James Bond flick with Daniel Craig. I think the scene takes place in Africa and the man he's chasing looks amazing doing seemingly impossible leaps and climbs. James just looks like a big oaf chasing this nimble guy around. amazing sequence. Seeing this sequence pretty much sold me on Daniel Craig as James Bond.

15. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Well-Known Member

I am surprised that I have known about parkour for a long time while this seems to be something new for others - I am hardly "in the know" on new trends etc. but this is an old story.

16. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

This is extremely bad for the arches of your feet. These kids may not feel in now but just wait, they will have fallen arches at a relatively young age.

17. acraven

acraven Active Member

18. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

Ha! Don't say that! YOU can do it! Tracing does not have to be dangerous, and can be done by older, or rather more cautious tracers, if one only practices on-the-ground obstacle course at the height of human body (trees, fences, borders, stairs, railings, etc) without the acrobatic tricks, climbing the walls, jumping off roof-tops etc.

The excercise course practiced by Militrary Special Forces in many countries, is athletically enduring and requires toning and preparations, but not dangerous. Russian "Spez-Naz" (Special Units) have a great programme for that.

When I used to spend a lot of time in the 1990's in the Russian Far East, we did those courses at the abandand military bases and police practicing stations.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8-JvOGb2HE&feature=related

Here is a guy I know who is doing tracing at an abandond station, he has only regular athletic readiness. Look at this video.. he starts slow and towards the end where he gets a hang of it after few minuts (and the music is cute, not the evil rap).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV-PWBcfEnk

You can ABSOLUTELY DO THIS.... with proper preparation. After you finish a course, even the one at ground level, you get all this adrenalin surges out of the way, and start feeling normal again and be able to function at normal pace in everyday life.

Here is an official Traceur School in Moscow
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzwGEsl6nAc&feature=related
    The Trainer says “you can always learn tricks, but the important part are basics, mind and body conditioning, and the purpose: to overcome obstacles”.

:lol: Here is the one obstacle: “Apply to real life – never miss a date with your girl”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79_QrE9jZpA

But some idiots do it on bikes too….
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxv66o5t22U&feature=related

and, some organized crime gangs teach their pick-pocket yournger kids how to trace so they can run away with some-one's wallet...

19. stanhope

stanhope Active Member

20. DAngel

DAngel Active Member