Anyone Else Ever Hit a Deer?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by sk9tingfan, Dec 6, 2010.

1. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Was driving early this morning on the Merritt Parkway and a deer was standing still in the middle of the road. It was a good thing that I swerved to avoid it. Although I still hit the deer and killed it, I hit it with my left bumper. Had I not done that, I don't think that I would have been starting this thread! Or at a minimum, would have left my frontend on the road! :eek:

Any one else have any deer stories to tell?

2. cholla

cholla Fearless Musher

I hit an elk in Sweden once. Totalled the car, broke some of my own ribs, got a scar on my forehead. The elk survived unlike the rental VW Rabbit I was driving...

3. sk9tingfan

Wow! I realize that I was quite fortunate. There's a highway that runs from Burlington, VT down to Montpelier that is a favorite moose crossing. Our clients are always warning us about that road around mating season!

4. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

My grandparents did it twice. Both times they were driving brand new cars. Neither car was totaled though.

5. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

That's a tricky one. They tell you you SHOULDN'T swerve -- but it sounds like, in your case, swerving was for the best!

My sister reported accidentally "tapping" a deer with her car the other day when it appeared out of nowhere -- she was able to slow down but not to completely avoid it. She said it sort of tipped over, then righted itself and left!

6. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

My car is in the shop right now due to an encounter two weeks ago. You should not swerve. A state trooper brought his car in before mine. He swerved, missed the deer and hit a guard rail head on.

7. Marlowe

Marlowe Well-Known Member

Why shouldn't you swerve? I've heard that if you hit a deer it can flip up and go through your windshield. Is that true?

8. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I have hit one deer and been hit by three others. Would the hunters please come and shoot them all- they aren't even a native animal in my area.

The first one, I thought I had blown a rear tire. because there was a loud bang at the rear of my car. I could only tell it was a deer because of the evidence it left on the car. I couldn't find it, but the police found it in the ditch later. This was in the middle of a city/town.

The next one jumped out of roadside brush into the front quarter of my car.

For both of these, I was attending to the road and going only 70kph.

The next one I looked down to change the radio station and the deer was right in front of me. It was right before a bridge and there was a steep ditch on one side and an asphalt plant on the other. The awful thing was that I had just gone through the area where the deer are usually found, and was starting to relax and boom, it was just there. Totalled the van, but I was fine.

The last one was the worst, because the poor deer wasn't killed. A whole herd of them dashed in front of me, and there was nowhere to swerve to. I slowed enough that I only hit the last one, but it was severely injured. The @#$% 911 operator made me leave the scene of the accident and drive to the sign that said the route # of the road (even though I was about 1/4 mile from the RCMP office, and anyone there would have known exactly where I was). I returned and another woman stopped and we had to frantically flag for people to slow down, because what they thought was a dead deer would rise to its feet in front of their cars and flop around on the road. It was awful to watch that poor animal suffer, and it took the RCMP 45 min to get there. I felt bad for days.

I drive 45 min through unpopulated areas to get to work, but all of the deer I've hit have actually been in urban zones. It'd be a rare day that I'd drive without seeing several deer, and I commonly see moose and sometimes even a bear or two.

I've only ever seen one pine marten, and I've never seen a bobcat or a lynx.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  9. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I've always heard you should just slow down as much as possible, because swerving might lead to an even worse accident.

10. sk9tingfan

That is exactly why I swerved.

11. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I luckily haven't, but my friend did, and totalled her car.

12. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

About 4 years ago, a deer ran smack into the side of my SUV. It rolled and got up and ran away, but there is a big dent in my door. Door still opens so I haven't bothered getting it fixed - it is our junky hauling truck so it doesn't matter what it looks like.

13. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

rjblue, that's what I'm always worried about.. having the deer half alive. If I ever get a gun, I'll keep it handy for putting one out of it's misery. My parents saw one with a broken back in a ditch once. They both came home in tears that day. It's one of the reasons I am glad there is *some* hunting, because if there wasn't, there would be far more incidents like that than there already are.

I've had a buck jump out in front of me before..but I was able to slam on my brakes(no one behind me).

14. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

Hubby and I hit a deer on the highway two years ago. It came charging up out of the ditch and hit the front bumper on the passenger side. It flew up into the windshield, onto the roof of the car, and off the back bumper. The windshield shattered but did not cave in, which is probably why both hubby and I are still alive right now.

Very, very scary. The car needed some work but was not totalled. The deer didn't die right away either. It was laying in the middle of the highway. A couple of people stopped to help us, and two men grabbed the deer, pulled it into the ditch and killed it
    with a baseball bat

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I've had a couple really close calls with deer. Once I was rounding a curve and a deer jump over the hood of my car. I was probably less than a foot from having it come through my windshield. My cousin lives in an area with an extremely high deer population and has hit 3 or 4. Glad you are okay.

16. rjblue

It is actually illegal to shoot a deer next to the road, unless you are a law enforcement official, otherwise we could have just flagged someone down and got them to fetch their rifle.

I feel sorry for the poor men who had to do that. My husband once had to kill a groundhog we hit, in a similar way, and it really bothered him, but the thought of letting the poor animal suffer any longer than it had to was worse.

17. Castlerock

Castlerock Member

I hit "Bambi" :( I saw the mother deer crossing the road ahead, so I stopped. Then once I started driving again, Bambi came out of nowhere. I just knocked it over since I wasn't driving fast. There was no blood or anything, but I was young and was so upset. It just did a little damage to the front light/bumper of my 10 day old car! 2 farmers stopped by and were arguing over who would take the deer since I didn't want it. I called police later because I wasn't sure what to do, and he said I should have kept the deer and sold it for the meat :eek: Now I know why the farmers wanted it!!

18. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Scariest deer situation I ever had was coming off the Chesapeake Bay bridge. We were in the left lane exiting the bridge when a deer jumped out from under the bridge rails and got clipped by the bumper of the pick up truck in front of us. Thank god there was no one in the center lane so my husband changed lanes quickly. The deer went airborne and literally bounced up the bridge past us in the left lane. If we'd still been there, it would have landed right on top of us. Fortunately, the cars behind us were able to change lanes or stop. So the only damage was to the pick up truck (and the poor deer). It could have been really awful.

19. Dave of the North

Dave of the North Well-Known Member

Lots of deer around here and lots of them get hit.

I hit a moose back in 1980. Dark rainy night - never saw it until the last second. I wasn't injured but my car was totalled - moose came up the hood and crushed the roof on the passenger side. Moose was killed...I was moving a car load of stuff to my new apartment and had to clean moose hair off everything.

sk9tingfan and (deleted member) like this.
  20. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Yes, it is true. There was an accident here recently where a car hit a deer, which then went airborne. The deer went through the windshield of another car, killing the passenger. :(

21. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

Not personally, but it happens to people all the time around here. Last winter, my brother hit one. Luckily, it didn't do too much damage to their truck.

22. luna_skater

luna_skater Well-Known Member

To Swerve or Not to Swerve often depends on the circumstances of the individual incident. If you swerve, you can cause a worse accident...if you don't, the animal can come through the window and cause serious injury or death.

This link discusses both options: http://www.wikihow.com/Avoid-a-Moose-or-Deer-Collision (bullets 9 and 11)

I've never hit a deer as the driver, but was the passenger in a car that hit a deer. We were driving at night on the highway and had just been discussing wildlife, when I spotted light reflected in a deer's eyes in the ditch. There were about 4 of them, and the driver started to brake, but one of them jumped directly in our path and she didn't even have time to decide whether or not to hit it. She hit the deer when it was in midair and it flew across the highway and landed in the ditch on the other side. We were kind of shaken up and didn't think to check on the deer but we hit it so hard I would be surprised if it lived. It was also pitch black out and we would have had to cross the highway on foot, so that could have been dangerous as well. The car had almost no damage--it was a brand new Mustang convertible (2007 at the time), and the grill was just pushed in slightly and there was some fur caught in it. Very scary though--when we hit the deer, I thought for sure it was going to come through the windshield. I'm pretty careful about scanning the ditches and fields for animals when on the highway, but sometimes it's just totally unavoidable.

I know someone who hit a deer while riding a motorcycle this spring. She sliced the animal completely in half. The rider wasn't injured.

23. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Wow, that was lucky it only hit the passenger side. I saw a whole show the other day about people killed in moose accidents. They are so tall that the car hit the legs and the huge body flattened the whole car.

24. NinjaTurtles

NinjaTurtles Teenage Mutant

Where I grew up in Upstate NY deer roaming around is extremely common, consequently accidents involving deer are similalry common.

The only time I've ever been involved (as the driver) in a deer related accident happened a few years ago when, sitting at a stop light, a deer decided to run across a busy six lane highway (in broad daylight) to get to the other side of the road. Unfortunately, there were several cars sitting at the light ahead of me and behind me, so I had nowhere to move; I just had to sit there and watch in my rear view mirror the deer break my back tail light when attempting to leapfrog over my car. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2010
  25. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Moose often weigh over 1,000 pounds.

I've been lucky so far, in 14 years of driving. I've had a few close calls though, where they've run across the road in front of me. My parents hit one, up in Keene Valley (that's in the Adirondacks, Route 73 on the way to Lake Placid), and they had to stay overnight because it was at night and AAA couldn't get a truck up to them until the morning, and the hit messed up their radiator so they were leaking coolant and, therefore they wouldn't have made it very far.

One piece of advice that I was given by a co-worker who hit a deer with his brand-new Honda Accord 3 years ago is that, if the animal doesn't die from the accident, do not report it to your insurance company. They need to see absolute proof that it was the result of a collision with a deer, otherwise your rate will go up, because you have no proof that it was an animal you hit. In my co-worker's case, the deer ran into his quarter-panel, and the impact didn't kill it, and so he paid for the bodywork himself, out of pocket instead of having his insurance pay for it.

What part of Upstate were you from? All of my deer sightings seem to take place in rural Rensselaer County, on my drives to or from Lenox, MA. But I've seen a deer walking across the street in Latham, NY which is a suburban area, and my brother hit one in Niskayuna, which is also a suburb, late on Christmas Eve some years back. He and Dad ended up gutting this thing in my parents' backyard, and all we would have needed was for some little kid to be poking his head out the window and seeing them "killing Santa's reindeer."

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  26. sk9tingfan

I have an appointment with my insurance adjuster on Friday and I have a tuft of skin and hair hanging off my car light. Just thinking about driving my car this evening makes me want to throw up! :(

27. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

I've thankfully never hit anything, but the past few years there've been some scary stories about hitting animals. The first one, a woman hit a buck and it landed on top of the car. Part of its antler pierced the hood and went into her baby's skull. The baby was in NICU for a while, but recovered and is just fine now.

The other happened just last year, and involved a goose, but it lends itself to the swerve/don't swerve debate. A girl was driving on the interstate and saw a goose in her path. She swerved a little to miss it, but it was icy and she lost control. Well, there is a lake right where this happened and she drove into it. She was knocked unconscious, but was pulled from her car in time. She was in a coma for quite a while. She ended up fine, although she doesn't remember anything after swerving to miss the goose.

The info the HP put out at that time was if it's a small animal, just keep going. It might damage your vehicle, but it's better than a possible alternative. But if it is a larger animal and you're able to, try to swerve. Obviously, all of this is usually a split-second decision, so often times instinct just kicks in, and sometimes that's wrong.

28. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Can you please send me some antlers! My dog loves them!

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  29. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

The reason you shouldn't swerve is because 9 times out of 10 you'll have a potentially worse accident such as running into a ditch, guardrail, tree, another vehicle etc., etc., There are enough incidents to prove the validity of the recommendation. You should try to slow down but don't jerk the wheel. Most people can't control the vehicle when they do.

30. rjblue

You should run off the road and hit a tree, ditch or guardrail rather than hit a moose. Hitting a moose can kill or seriously injure you.

You can swerve, depending on traffic, for a deer, but don't run off the road. The deer can damage your car, but is much less likely to injure you.

ETA- a cow or a horse would be the same as a moose. Hitting a deer is more comparable to hitting a large dog or small pony.