Anyone Catch The River Premier?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by cruisin, Feb 8, 2012.

1. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Watched the first show last night. It has some flaws, but it's pretty scary. Interesting cinematography and use of flashbacks. Think I'll keep with it, at least for now.

2. Gypsy

Gypsy Watching the Leaves Change!

I saw it too. I thought it was interesting and will keep with it too.
    Looks like a very limited run and there will only be 6 more episodes at this time.

3. cruisin

Yes, and I suppose if they find the husband/father, there would not be much left to do.

4. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Yes - I loved it! Those dolls were effin CREEPY

5. cruisin

YES! They were.

6. genevieve

Anyone still watching? I thought tonight's ep was great - very LOST-like, with an overriding themes of redemption and daddy issues. Loved the scene of AJ finding the tree and letting loose with an extended bleep reel :p

And still: Creeeeeeeeeeeeeee-peeeee!

7. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Ok I'm not the only one getting the LOST vibes. Does anyone get some American Horror History vibes too ? Because so far, it looks like a mix of those two (at least) to me.

8. cruisin

I never saw either of those shows. I know, as far as Lost, I must have been living in a cave :lol:. So, while I can't compare, this show is awesomely creepy!

9. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

I'm still watching and I liked the *bleep bleep bleeeeeeep* part at the tree also. It's what I would have done. :lol:

I'm curious to see if they wrap-up the story in the next few weeks like "AHS" or if they are going to continue the story in the jungle.

10. cruisin

Question: When AJ was under the tree - was he hallucinating the dirt falling in on him, and he got out himself. Or, did the tribesmen decide that Clark's willingness to sacrifice himself vindicated the group, and they pulled AJ out? I can't decide.

11. genevieve

I think it's the latter, although who knows. What I like about this show is that we aren't getting all the answers.

12. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I though they pulled him out? No I'm not so sure.

13. cruisin

My initial thought was, they pulled him out. But, then I started thinking he might be flashing back to whatever made him afraid of caves. I love that they make you question what you see and think.

14. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I didn't enjoy the premiere, but I decided to give it one more try last night. I enjoyed it much more! I'll definitely keep watching to see where it goes. Though I fear how long the husband/dad can be missing for before they run out of things to do...

15. genevieve

there are only 5 more episodes to the whole series, so I'm guessing about 5 more hours :D

16. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Wait, Really? Is that all they planed for or will they make more if the ratings are high?

17. genevieve

that was the plan. who knows what networks will do with a hit, but 1) my impression was that the ratings weren't stellar and 2) I think the show works because it's going to end, so I really hope they won't make more.

ETA: the wiki link says that the "first season" is to be 8 episodes. I can maybe see a second season, depending on how this one ends, but it would require going in a very different direction. I'm still hoping this will be like Harper's Island (with a less inane ending) and the single season will stand on its own.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_River_(U.S._TV_series)
    mild spoiler warning - there are descriptions for 2 episodes not yet aired.

18. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

This makes sense! I'm glad that they gave this one a definite ending. The plot is interesting, but there is simply not enough to write about for that long.

19. cruisin

Last night was good. It seems like there is an ongoing trend with the magical powers. They go after someone for being bad, but let them go when they then do something selfless. Atonement seems to be their salvation.

20. genevieve

Last night's ep was interesting - almost all of it was told in video flashback. Very tense. Ugh! As soon as the dog showed up back with Emmett, I was like "he's gonna eat him!!!! :fragile: " but the more they showed him getting weaker and not eating the dog, it was like "there's protein right there!!!" The scene where he realizes what he has to do was heartbreaking...very well done. And the flashback to the phone call with Linc..... :wuzrobbed

A tiny nitpick, although I'm willing to overlook it...neither Emmett nor the dog particularly looked like they hadn't eaten in days/weeks :shuffle:

Only 2 more episodes!

21. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

I really enjoy this show. I don't understand why it hasn't caught on.

22. genevieve

It seems more of a 10pm show than a 9pm one ... and not very much like ABC's current slate of shows. I mean, following Cougar Town? I like both shows, but someone who's watching ABC for their comedies would not necessarily want to stay for a faux documentary that requires attention to every frame.

But I'm a sucker for shows like this, and other than LOST, they all get cancelled, quickly :wuzrobbed Sigh.

23. cruisin

Love this show. Only two more episodes :(.

I was thinking the same thing re: Emmett and the dog not looking like they hadn't eaten in days/weeks. But, I think it was days, and the real problem was dehydration. I don't think they would have looked emaciated yet.

24. genevieve

Emmet was going on about needing protein - he was pretty crafty about getting water from the plants etc.

As I said, I was willing to overlook it during the videotaped parts. But that dog looked positively robust when he came trotting out to meet the TessandLinc party at the end. :lol:

25. cruisin

Yeah, the dog was in great shape. But, the dog may have been foraging more effectively than Emmet :lol:.

I know he was talking about protein, and I know he was good about getting water from the vines. But I got the impression that he wan't finding water sources anymore either. Remember when the girl (? name) took the supplies, he commented that she took the water. I'm also not sure how much time lapsed during the course of the video. I also wonder whether the magic bug had anything to do with it. At first, it seemed like the bug gave him renewed vigor. Maybe it also effected his rational thinking. Maybe some of what he was drinking/eating was hallucinated? I think they are deliberately confusing us. Which is fine, love the show!

26. genevieve

27. cruisin

Still love it. Only one more show :(

28. genevieve

Here's hoping for a strong ending!

29. cruisin

Yes! We may be the only two watching! We are just too cool! :D

30. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I quit watching it. I would appreciate if someone will give a recap after the finale just so I could find out what this pile of crap was about. :lol: