Anybody have a Keurig coffee maker? (threads merged)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Nora_Charles, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Nora_Charles

Nora_Charles New Member

I want one, and know that if I ask Santa ;) I'll get one for Christmas. The problem is...there are about eleventy different models and I have no idea which one I'd like best. Any suggestions/tips/help would be appreciated! :)

2. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

I have one. I have a small one because I am only making one cup at a time. I really only make my own coffee when the weather is bad. I think the model you would like best depends on how much coffee you are making at a time. If you are buying it to make a different type of coffee for each person, then you probably dont need a bigger one. Also, if color is important to you, not all models come in all colors.

3. Nora_Charles

Nora_Charles New Member

It's just for me - I'm the only one who likes flavored coffees, and at most I'd be making/drinking 2 cups a day. I've looked at them everywhere, including the Keurig website, and I just can't figure out the difference between the models. Do they all basically do the same thing, and you can just brew different cup sizes or??? That's where I'm getting confused. If the one that's only $99 does the same as the one that's $169, why would I want Santa to have to fork out an extra $70? :)

4. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I'm trying to decide whether to buy one, also.
    I'm the lone coffee lover.

How cost effective are they?

Which models include the "My K-Cup"?
    I've always enjoyed grinding/creating my own blend; and don't like flavored coffee.

5. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i am only making 1 cup at a time, i got a cheaper model. i can brew myself a small cup or a rather large cup. but i think some of the larger models can make a lot at once but i may be mistaken about that. i got mine from qvc when it was the today's special value. it came with a bunch of kcups. just for one person, imo the cheaper machine will do everything you need it to.

6. DubbalinGirl

DubbalinGirl New Member

I'm not sure what folks mean by small and "just one cup at a time"...the Keurigs I know of ONLY make one cup at a time, but have a water reservoir that holds much more, so you can reload the K-Cup and do another cup right away. Unless you mean like the desktop version (which yes, I have asked for for Christmas!) vs. the countertop version.

Anyway, yes, I have one and I wouldn't live without it now. I like not being tied to one pot of coffee of a particular brew/blend/flavor, not having to clean anything up, being able to have different flavors one after the other, etc.

If you like flavored coffees, the only place I've found online where you don't have to buy a case of one flavor of K-Cups (really, who wants 24 of one flavor?) is bigcatcoffee.com. They let you mix flavors (5 flavors in a box of 25 K Cups). They ship same day, so I usually have my order the next day. I think it's certainly cheaper than getting coffee out, but not cheaper than brewing your own beans in terms of cost effectiveness.

7. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Even me?

8. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I prefer the one-cup-at-a-time reservoir design. The ones that hold more water just waste energy keeping the water warm. It does depend on the layout of your kitchen of course, but I've never found it a hassle to add water each time I make a new cup -- I have to add the new K-cup, after.

I loved the first Keurig brewer I bought so much that I bought another one for my office. So two big thumbs up for me. A tad more expensive than ordinary ground/drip coffee, but soooo much better in freshness & flavour. And I stock up when they're on sale.

My favourite K-cups, BTW, are the Green Mountain Dark Magic Extra Bold, Van Houtte Kenya Dark, and Timothy's Rainforest Espresso.

9. Nora_Charles

Nora_Charles New Member

I guess that's what I'm talking about -- I already knew that it would only do one cup at a time, but there are 3 different models on teh Keurig website: Elite, Special Edition, and Platinum. And even though I've read through the product details on each one, they're pretty sketchy and the only difference I can figure out is that each one will allow for different cup sizes. It doesn't really talk about how much water the reservoir will hold or anything like that. So is that pretty much the only difference between the least expensive and most expensive, or are there other differences like...I don't know...maybe one is programmable or something? I don't really want/need lots of bells and whistles. I plan to have a countertop one, and won't necessarily use it *daily*, and I'd only be making (at most) 2 cups of coffee.

Oh, and are the different k-cups just a "single serve" of coffee? (Like, if you just want one cup of coffee, you put one k-cup, and then if you want more coffee you have to use a new k-cup)

10. Artemis@BC

Yes.

You can also buy a "my K-cup," which is a little filter basket that you fill with your own ground coffee, but that too makes 1 cup at a time.

As for the different models ... I'm not really sure what all the bells and whistles are, but it sounds like for your use the basic model is probably sufficient. Mine is called a "mini," and I got it on sale for about $65 -- pretty great deal when I look at the prices now.

11. Nora_Charles

Nora_Charles New Member

So can I be super nosy and ask which one you got? :) Like..cheapest, mid-range, most expensive? It sounds like the one-cup reservoir would work for me, too.

oops looks like we posted at the same time! Thanks, Artemis, and everyone for the info :)

12. Southpaw

I don't understand how the different size cups are brewed from the K-cup. Is the K-cup one size fits all? Would an 8oz cup then be stronger than a 10oz since the 10oz uses more water?

13. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I have a B60, last year's model with the 2 brew sizes. Hubby and I prefer the reservoir as it's possible to put the beast on the other side of the kitchen, away from the water source.

I like it for many reasons. I can switch it up - have one flavored and one not, and have a decaf in the evening in the evening without having to clean a coffee pot. Hubby and I like different styles of coffee, so it's perfect for us and for the occasional guest.

I joined Green Mountain's Cafe Express program and just have the K-cups sent on a regular schedule. When I need something different, I usually order from Amazon.

btw, I'm addicted to Caramel Vanilla Cream.

14. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Yes, the 8s are stronger. I brew 10s as I don't use milk. Hubby brews 8s and adds milk.

Southpaw and (deleted member) like this.
  15. venja

venja New Member

I'm in the same boat as you, however my tossup is between the Keurig & Tassimo coffee makers. I'm very impressed that with the Keurig machine, however I just recently tried a Tassimo brewer and I was slightly more impressed because it could make more types of coffees than just a 'regular cup of joe'.

I'm torn between the two because I like the convenience and the fact that you can buy a reusable filter to make your own coffee with the Keurig. On the other hand I really like the fact that I can make a cappuccino/latte/tea/hot chocolate/iced coffee/espresso with the Tassimo.

I never knew that Keurig had a small water reservoir maker... now I'm even more confused.

16. Nora_Charles

Nora_Charles New Member

If it's any help, I have a friend (who's like a coffee guru) who has the Tassimo, and she swears by it, because she's into the cappucino/latte thing. Me, not so much, so I'm thinking the Keurig is better for me.

17. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

My last job had a Keurig coffee maker. I didn't drink coffee at the time. My current job has a nasty old one-pot setup. When I think of all those Kcups of coffee un-drunk ... :drama: :wuzrobbed

18. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I have a couple of questions. For the bottom of the line Keurig, can you use your own coffee or do you have to buy the k-cup coffee? I want to use my favorite coffees, which I know don't come in k-cups.

Also, what is the benefit of a Keurig over one of those mini Mr. Coffee makers that make just four cups and are much less expensive than the Keurig? Do you have to make four cups with those or can you make just one or two?

19. 1lutz2klutz

1lutz2klutz New Member

I got the small keurig to have when I have company ( I don't drink coffee) or to make tea. The thing I didn't like about my original one (the $99 one) was that you couldn't make different cup sizes. My guests often would just run it twice to fill a mug- the "cup" size is obviously for small coffee cups, and I have mostly mugs. I got a new one with the water reservoir on the side that you can choose a smaller or larger cup size.

You can use your own coffee in the "my Kcup" attachment. It came with mine from QVC (along with a bunch of coffees and teas).

It's really great for entertaining- I keep a variety of coffees and teas for people to choose.

20. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

There's a small attachment so you can use your own coffee.

I've never had a coffee maker that could make good quality coffee under 3 cups. The other bene of the Keurig is not having to wash it. I'd have a hard time counting the number of glass carafes that we've broken over the years.

21. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

My parents have one and they LOVE it!!

22. DubbalinGirl

DubbalinGirl New Member

Correction: the units that hold more water, fill the percolating part of the unit each time you select a cup size and then the unit heats that water; they neither heat nor keep warm the entire reservoir at any one time. So energy conservation is a non-issue.

The difference is number of cup sizes, reservoir sizes and "quiet brew" technology. I have the Elite, which has 48 ounce reservoir and brews 6 or 8 ounce cups of coffee. The Platinum has 5 cup sizes and a 60 ounce reservoir.

I also do hot chocolate (Green Mountain's Dark Hot Chocolate and White Hot Chocolate K-Cups are insanely good!) and hot apple cider (also Green Mountain K-Cups) in them too. In summer I brew over ice, which is fab. My current favorite is Green Mountains Spicy Egg Nog. With Bailey's Irish Cream creamer (found at the supermarket), this is a great holiday treat!

23. Artemis@BC

Keurig does have some varieties, altho I think you're probably right that the Tassimo has more. I'm not a big cappuccino/latte gal, but I have had pretty good espresso, tea, and hot chocolate with the Keurig. And I make awesome iced coffee all the time from Keurig-brewed coffee.

24. Artemis@BC

Ok, thanks for the clarification. It must have been another brand someone was telling me about that had a keep-warm reservoir.

I still don't find it at all onerous to refill the water with each cup, though.

25. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I have a question. I bought one for my Dad a few years ago, and I was not happy with the temperature of the coffee. It was nowhere near hot enough. Are the newer ones better (hotter)?

26. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Usually, mine's too hot to drink when it first comes out. I have a B60.

27. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I've had the Platinum one for about 9 months now. Used it before at an old office and loved the flavors. Bought it for home when my mom moved in, she's got shaky hands and I was worried about her burning herself using hot water and instant coffee.

Mine has a filter for the water, the reusable filter so you can use ground coffee, and a programmer mode so you can fix the water temp, set the time, set brew size default, etc. Favorite is the Columbian Fair Trade, and I am addicted to the seasonal coffees too (Pumpkin Spice, Gingerbread, etc.). Southern Pecan is my mom's favorite. I use it for hot water to make tea and hot chocolate. We've bought K-cup iced tea, but I wasn't excited by it.

Keurig customer service is awesome. I get the Cafe Express from Green Mountain, and have also started buying the coffee at Macy's and Bed Bath and Beyond (their sales are amazing).

I'd advise shopping around. I got mine from QVC on easy pay and it was $150, came with 48 k cups, 2 filters and 1 reusable filter. Plus, when you registered it online, you got another 2 boxes from Keurig. :)

Southpaw and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Southpaw

So what's the deal with the water? I read in a review that you have to use distilled water. Is this true? You can't use tap water?

dbell - Does the water filter gadget in your setup allow you to use tap water?

29. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

It may have something to do with how hard your water is. We have really hard water and I rarely have a coffee pot last more than 2 years. My faucets and shower heads get mineral deposits on them too. The faucets and shower heads can be soaked, coffee pots are harder to deal with. I know it's good to run white vinegar through a drip pot every once in a while to clean it out, but then the coffee tastes weird for a while.

30. Jeb-seminole

Jeb-seminole New Member

I've had mine for over a year and love it.:)
    It is great because I only like 1 cup of coffee a day and I can have a different one everyday. I went to Bed, Bath & Beyond and bought lots of different flavors (they were on sale) so I have lots to choose from. Also have the adapter for regular coffee. Bought one for Christmas gift for daughter who is in college. Great when company visits.