Any Torchwood Fans?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by victoriaheidi, Jul 7, 2011.

1. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I figured I'd get a thread started to see if anyone else is as excited as I am for Friday night!

Amy L and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

My PVR is already programmed. I thought it was Saturday though? On Space in Canada.

3. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

I'm excited! I thought the first two seasons had their moments but also had some rather mediocre episodes. But Children of Earth was great! I loved it. So I'm really looking forward to this season. How long is it supposed to be?

4. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

One day we'll get around to them on Netflix or something (no cable TV here)--for now we're still catching up with Dr Who (just started New season 5 with bow-tied Matt Smith). I find Captain Jack hilarious so I think I'd enjoy Torchwood.

5. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

yes! i love john barrowman, i'd watch him do a staged reading of the pilot episode of "small wonder"

6. mindy74

mindy74 Well-Known Member

After what he did to every character I loved on Torchwood,
    especially Ianto
    , I told myself and many others that I would never, ever watch another Russell T. Davies program.

Now, after watching John Barrowman interviews, and seeing pics from the set I am finding myself sliding and I think I am going to cave and watch it. I am weak.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  7. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

I like Torchwood! :D I'm excited for the new season; it looks pretty good. Apparently I can get Starz streaming on Netflix, so hopefully I'll be able to watch the season that way; if not, I'll be up to my usual ways. :p

8. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

This season is 10 episodes long. It's a bit more like CoE, from what I've heard (one consistent alien vs. a new alien each week).

9. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Can't wait. Saturday night here in Australia too. Cap'n Jack... hot hot hot!

10. Bunny Hop

Bunny Hop Accept no substitutes

After having to wait a week after the UK transmissions of each new Doctor Who episode, I'm looking forward to seeing Torchwood a week in advance of the UK!

Though I'll still never forgive them for killing off Ianto.

But as Ozzisk8tr said. Captain Jack is hot, so I'll be watching for that shallow reason, if nothing else!

Ozzisk8tr and (deleted member) like this.
  11. CarolineL

CarolineL Member

That's me too. And I know it will break my heart again. I fear for Rhys this time around.

12. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I cried SO MUCH when he died! Obviously, way more than with Tosh and Owen...

As for Rhys, I'm thinking he's safe (ATM) for two reasons:
    1. He and Gwen just had a kid
    2. Russell Davies once said something like, "I'd rather not kill Rhys because Gwen would never be the same after that-she'd blame Torchwood for his death and blah blah blah..."
    In other words, it's not going to happen until Gwen changes a little more.

13. znachki

znachki Active Member

Looking forward to it! The first two seasons of Torchwood were a bit hit or miss for me. But CotE was excellent. More of that please, and Miracle Day seems like it will be.

I'm also happy that the US doesn't have to wait to see it. Also, from what I understand, the BBC version is actually going to be a cut-down version - for content no less. Talk about reversal!

14. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I'm pretty amped about it, and counting the days (it's Saturday for us in Canada -- but that's ok since I'm out Friday night anyway).

I watched CoE again last week to ramp up (and yes I did cry, again, at
    Ianto's death
    . and at the utterly heartbreaking decision Jack had to make at the end).

I'm remaining optimistic about the Americanization -- the trailers I've seen look pretty great. However I'll miss all the Cardiff settings.

"For content" as in time? Or language / sex / etc.? I know it used to run on BBC2 instead of 1 to allow for more racy content, but perhaps with the new US host it's gone beyond even that threshold.

15. Amy L

Amy L Well-Known Member

The US version will be shorter due to time. The UK version will have different scenes for the longer time slot plus cuts for the nudity/sex/violence/etc. The episodes will all be slightly different depending whether you see the US or UK version. Though I am sure some intrepid fangeeks will eventually cut everything together online!

I have Netflix and I've never used their StarzPlay before, but looking around on it today I see that there's one feature on it called Live Starz Channel... so it looks like Netflix users can watch Torchwood for free as long as you have a plan that allows for their streaming. I just need to find their rebroadcast schedules, since I know that I'll have to miss some weeks (like the 15th - - Harry Potter!!)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  16. Spareoom

@ Amy L: Because this season of Torchwood is being produced and broadcast by Starz, I was under the impression that time constraints didn't apply because Starz doesn't have regular timeslots. So I don't think that the US version is going to be shorter than the UK version; but I could be wrong.

Oh, and if you google "Starz Schedule", you should get an online webpage that lists the times for everything showing on the Starz channel. I'm in the CST timezone, and Torchwood is going to be airing at 9pm.

ETA: Whoops, just saw that you were looking for the RE-broadcast schedules. I'm sure a google search will have that too. :)

17. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Question about Starz on Netflix-does the show get added to regular old Netflix after a day or so? I've never used the Starz feature before and I don't completely get how it works. :p

18. Amy L

Amy L Well-Known Member

19. znachki

znachki Active Member

Torchwood_MD on twitter has posted some RTD quotes from the Torchwood article in DWM about the episode differences in the US and the UK. Here is what he tweeted:

RTD in DWM, "A few of the racier scenes might be edited for a BBC audience."

"In fairness its an unusual situation, Capt Jack is a children's hero...you cannot deny that some children will watch Torchwood." RTD in DWM

RTD also explains the edits made to Steven's death scene in COE were VERY last minute. Three shots removed, the day before transmission!

"BBC One episodes have to hit the 54 minutes to fill that slot...Starz is happy with an episode that's 50, 51 minutes." RTD

"We won't cut material from the Starz episodes, we'll just add some extra material to the BBC episodes." RTD in DWM

So, cut for sex in the UK (apparently there is full-frontal male nudity - to which I say - about bloody time!), with some additional material to stretch the length to 54 when needed.

20. Spareoom

No; apparently Netfix/Starz changed their agreements. New Starz episodes don't get uploaded to Netflix for 90 days. :(

21. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

Not sure what the spoilers rule is about past series here, maybe I better put everything I say in :p

I was far more upset about Tosh and Owen than Ianto. :wuzrobbed I loved Tosh and after not liking Owen at first I had really come to love the character.

I could see Ianto's death coming a mile off - as soon as CoE started and Ianto was all clingy it was obvious they'd write him out as they had written themselves into a hole with that relationship - gets in the way of their whole Jack loves Gwen thing. :rolleyes:
    I will be interested to see what they do with Rhys/Gwen in the future. Maybe set Jack up with someone else and make Gwen jealous...?

22. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Hmm, I wonder which version they'll air on Space. They don't normally cut for sex or language, and each episode runs in a 70 minute timeslot so could be either the 52 min or 54 min version.

Full frontal?!! :wideeyes: :watch:

23. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I want the 54-minute version! Oh well...I'm sure, as others have said, someone'll put all of the additional material online.

[The only nice thing is that I know whatever they include in the 54-minute won't be insanely pivotal to the plot (that wouldn't help much)-it'll just be other material.]

24. CarolineL

CarolineL Member

Barrowman just tweeted that the BBC version is showing at 7:10p.m.! I doubt there will be much nudity in that one as there will be a load of kiddies wanting to tune in to see Captain Jack. I guess I am going with the Starz version

25. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Haha, plus, that's pretty early.

Getting excited for the Starz version (and for the inevitable youtube posting of the BBC version)!

26. MarieM

MarieM Well-Known Member

Torchwoooood !!
    Let's hope I WON'T cry as mush as last year's 5 episodes. Moff, don't ruin this ! :)

27. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

I'm going to watch it, but I refuse to get attached to any characters not named Jack or Gwen. That's not based on any spoilers (I haven't sought any out) -- it's just good practice after the last three seasons.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  28. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

My prediction is that many of the characters won't die, but just won't return (à la the team from CoE).

But there'll likely be plenty of deaths...

29. Amy L

Amy L Well-Known Member

If you have Comcast, you can stream it live using xfinity. Apparently, some other Americans can get it to work too, but sad to say that it's GeoBlocked. :(

I thought it was okay to post here, since it's totally legal. Going to watch it now!

30. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Switched to Starz last night (punted Showtime)---looking forward to this series.