Any news on Alissa Czisny?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by joemauerlover, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

She was having back cramps prior to the GPF which kept her off the ice for a week. Maybe things are just mushrooming for her health wise.

2. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

I know about the problems with her back. And, yes, I understand that it can be quite difficult if problems occur one after another. Still, she has not said anything about quitting yet, and for now I see no reason to speculate on this.

3. 5Ali3

5Ali3 Active Member

On Saturday, a high-profile skater sustained a serious injury in a very public setting, with video of the incident quickly posted on the web. My goal in posting here was to convey the information that was given to me by a first-hand source: confirmation of the rumor that Czisny had dislocated her hip and reassurance that Czisny-the-person was okay. My source used the word "surgery," which is quite plausible for a dislocated hip, and I didn't question that. As it turns out, I think the person to whom I spoke conflated "surgery" and "procedure" (and has continued to use the word "surgery" to describe the procedure...). My intentions were good (and my source reliable, if poorly versed in medical-talk!), but my words resulted in a perception that the injury required an open reduction (which was my impression until the press release). I want to apologize that my post was in inadvertently misleading. I only post things that I believe to be 100% accurate and it's been bothering me that I wasn't. I try to take responsibility when I find out that a post wasn't 100% accurate in part so that people will trust my words in the future.

Different skaters compete for different reasons. A skater like Czisny receives no benefit from having her elements called and receiving PCS. She benefits from sleeping in a bed that's not her own, eating food that's not from her kitchen, warming up in a space that's not her usual, and doing her program not-at-11AM [i.e., dealing with the uncertainties and bug-a-boos of a competition; also, I have no idea what time of day she trains, but the idea is: you know the 11AM session starts at 11AM every day, but your 2:20PM competition event might start at 2:01PM or 2:41PM or 8:20PM (that was the worst Regionals ever...]. Czisny can miss a level on a spin, but it tends to be a one-off thing like she's a few beats behind her music and trying to catch up. A skater like, say, Abbott needs to get his spins called in competition because he constantly miscounts under the adrenaline of competition (but not in practice). A skater like... um, Sally Skater :shuffle: needs to be judged and have her elements called because her coach tells her every day that she's short on spins and her flip changes edge and she doesn't listen to him, so she needs to hear it from a judge. Czisny just needed to put her dress on in a rink that wasn't her own and see how it went. She chose a competition at which her extended family could see her skate and at which she could be monitored by her former monitor, a World judge/Olympic alternate judge. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any competition in the first two weeks of January that would have had a National-level technical panel because everyone's packing for 11 days in Nebraska. (Eleven days. In NEBRASKA.)

4. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

I just read this about Korpi's injury, and the first thing I thought of was my beloved French Team of Abitbol & Bernadis. Sarah Abitbol literally tore her achilles tendon just a month prior to the 2002 Olympics, working on that darn throw 3axel, and it literally ended her career. :(

Here's hoping Korpi's achilles is only inflamed, not torn, because if the latter her career is over imho.

5. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

Are you asking me? If so, wrong choice.
    I have no idea how relatively good or potentially bad her conditions are, I don't know what Korpi is thinking, and I haven't made any speculations, just reported others'.

Good: as I said, I love Korpi.

6. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Didn't Hongbo Zhao tear his achilles tendon? After a year off the ice he came back just as strong and eventually won the gold. Everybody is different and the snippets of information we are given are nothing compared to the information actually provided to these athletes. Why anyone starts predicting end of people's careers based on the limited information we have is beyond me.

7. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

^This

None of us are treating Kiira (or Alissa) or any other injured athlete - if we were, we wouldn't be at liberty to discuss their condition anyway :p

It's not about NadineWhite's post which as far as I can tell, wasn't meant that way, but posts which generally conclude "well, he/she has this injury, so that must mean their career is over, I'm so sad for them not really no" are getting old very quickly as they have very little ground to make that kind of conclusion. There are various degrees to an injury that we are simply not made aware of, and even if two people have the exact same injury to the exact same degree, their body may react very differently to rehabilitation - some people will overcome it completely, others will never be able to compete again, with all kinds of various degrees of success in between

So maybe before burying athletes, we should just give them the space and time they need to try to recover and see where they can take it from there....;)

8. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

All the articles I have read, say it is an inflammation.

9. lauravvv

What Iceman wrote:

10. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

There's discussion of Korpi's injury in the Finnish skating news thread :): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?72951-Finnish-skating-news-part-II/page40

Thanks for clarifying how the word "surgery" made it into your post. Speaking only for myself, I knew your intentions were good and I (still) consider you to be a credible source. :cool:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  11. lauravvv

No, I was not necessarily refering to you, but to those who were saying that (according to you). And that question was not really meant for answering.

Actually this was posted in the 'Finnish skating news' thread already a week ago, but I just hadn't noticed it:

So, hopefully other people here who think that Korpi might "call it a career", will see it, and end all speculation about her quitting.

P.S.: It turns out that Sylvia was quicker than me :).

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  12. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

No need to apologise. Mistakes happen. We are really grateful that posters like you let the others know what is going on. :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

13. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

This. And also there's nothing but relief that Alissa's injury appears to be less than originally thought. It's way better than the other way around.

14. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

Since you quoted me, you could see how I considered that possibility.

I read those speculations on this board, I think it was in the Europeans section.

Rhetorical questions are insidious like that: sometimes they get answered.

15. NadineWhite

Good example of Hongbo Zhao, totally forgot about that! :cool:

As for predicting end of careers, puleeeze, it's a f'ing message board full of opinions, that's it, no more no less, and nobody has to be anybody's personal physician to offer an opinion. Geeze... :rolleyes:

16. apatinar

apatinar Active Member

Hongbo Zhao was also 10 times the competitor that Alissa will ever be.. He probably still was experiencing some kind of discomfort even when he won gold... That same amount of discomfort would be a total distraction to Alissa..

17. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Actually, if anything, it would help to distract her from her nerves.

And I disagree with your assertion about Zhao and Alissa.

18. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

IIRC, it wasn't just torn, but completely blown and rather badly at that. If he can come back from that to win an Olympic Gold Medal w/Zue, then anything is possible.

19. NadineWhite

To be fair this isn't about Alissa, rather Kira Korpi, whom is the one that sustained the achilles heel injury. :) But I agree with you about Hongbo Zhao. :cool:

To me Hongbo Zhao was & is the "Real Steel": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY-vGm2XRWI :kickass::hat1:

Lastly, sorry to say (being a female myself), the girls just don't have wait it takes. They're not Evgeni Plushenko nor Hongbo Zhao, nor are Johnny Weir & Evan Lysacek. Those two men are extraordinary athletes, simply put, extraordinary, their threshold of pain must be inhuman.

Others have tried to come back, Michelle in 2006, Sasha in 2010, but only the aforementioned men actually made it. Fact.

:kickass:REAL STEEL!:kickass:

20. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

:)

21. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

What a silly, sexist, misinformed post. Jessica Dube took a blade to the face. Elena Berezhnaya suffered a serious head injury from her then-partner's blade. Dan Zhang had that awful fall in 2006, got up and eventually continued the program. Tatiana Totmianina was dropped on her head from a lift. Alissa Czisny was making a comeback from surgery for a torn labrum when she suffered her most recent injury. Irina Slutskaya returned and won Worlds after missing significant time due to vasculitis. Tessa Virtue suffered for years from compartment syndrome and had to undergo surgery twice to deal with it; she skated the Olympic season in significant pain.

These "girls" are and were world class competitors. They, and others who have suffered less severe injuries, work no less than the male competitors to excel and skate well. This is not a competition for who's the most injured and who has suffered more; skaters have to deal with pain, injuries, and other obstacles regardless of gender. Show some respect and stop spewing nonsense.

Oh, and Kiira's injury is fairly new. Hongbo Zhao didn't return to the ice within weeks, either.

alilou, Sasha'sSpins, oleada and 13 others like this.
  22. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I guess Kostner skating on an injured left knee for an entire season and Slutskaya coming back from her heart/blood vessels illness don't count as ladies, do they? And all those pairs girls coming back from serious head injuries, like Berezhnaya and Totmianina always struck me as wimpy, as well.

23. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Wow. This is one of the most ridiculous posts I've read here in a long time.

Courtney Kupets tore her Achilles tendon one year before the Athens Olympics, yet came back the next season to win Nationals and two Olympic medals. Tatiana Totmianina overcame a concussion and a fall to her head to win an Olympic gold medal in 2006. Tessa Virtue overcame surgery to her shins to win Olympic gold in 2010. Michelle Kwan overcame a stress fracture to win Nationals, Worlds and an Olympic medal. But, these women just didn't have what it takes, in your opinion.

24. BmcC102

BmcC102 Active Member

Advice to you and all above who also complained: ignore the person posting this junk. I used to read her posts at another forum and they get more and more ridiculous as time goes on. Thank you all for calling her out; no one at the other forum seemed to mind her posts...

My take on injuries is that we as fans need to accept that with the current state of technical expectations, injuries are going to continue to happen. Sad, but true. :( Wish we could have quads, triple-triples, etc. without injuries, but it isn't likely.

25. misskarne

misskarne #408

I'm sorry, what?

26. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

And, not to bring up one of the topics that was discussed at length......Flatt skated on a broken leg at Worlds.

All of these young women mentioned above......incredible pillars of strength.

27. apatinar

apatinar Active Member

Surya tore her achilles tendon as well and came back to compete in Nagano. She, like Korpi now, never had a prayer of winning a world or Olympic medal by that point even if she was healthy. The only prize Kiira would be skating for would just be to participate at the Olympics - healthy or injured.. She is never seriously considered a threat for any world or Olympic podium... The judges do place her really close in case they need to do some number juggling.. By juggling I mean pulling a "Lepisto"
    Laura Lepisto was GIVEN her bronze medal instead of it being earned by the rightful bronze medal winner Miki Ando in my opinion because the world podium would have been filled with 3 Asian faces which really would have signaled a further decline in European skating and the establishment.. Korpi , if Kostner falls apart again at the Olympics and the Russian babies are too inexperienced by that point, will be the blond haired, blue eyed savior / poster child of the podium so that the rest of the world does not see 3 Asians and lose interest in this sport more than they already have.
    Laura Lepisto's world bronze medal is one of the most embarrassing things I have seen the judges do... And that was echoed by many top skaters / commentators... maybe not that harshly though and certainly not with the analysis of exactly WHY this happened..

28. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Because the skating world imploded after the ladies event at 2007 worlds when Asia swept the podium?

29. apatinar

apatinar Active Member

Kimmie Meissner was the closest to the podium, but Yu-Na (the rising star at the time) didn't implode badly enough... Nothing the judges could do about that one..

30. NadineWhite

Come on, the women cannot compete with the men, period. Which explains why I like watching the men skate more than the ladiezzzzz. *insert sleep emoticon*

Their quasi "quads" cannot even compare to the REAL THING! Fact. And except for two unaesthetically unpleasing short bull-legged "lady" skaters that completed 3axels in the 80's/90's, no other "lady" can come close to the mens 3axels. Fact. Though I give thumbs up to Mao Asada for showing a pretty woman with a ballerina's build can complete a 3axel, dispelling the myth one has to be built like a man with huge thighs, bull legs, and an ugly appearance. :blah:

Now enough b*tching and whining, lets get back on track, which is Miss Czisny (sorry for going off topic with Kira Korpi's achilles injury btw). I honestly wish Alissa well and hope she makes a miraculous comeback next year to capture that (hopefully) third spot on the Olympic Team. Rachael's already been there, done that, as has Mirai Nagasu, therefore if I had my wish I would wish for Alissa to obtain that magical 3rd spot. Here's hoping whomever wins 1st & 2nd at this year's Nationals makes that all possible. :smokin: :) :cool:

Until next year, bye Alissa...:gallopin1: