Any news on Alissa Czisny?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by joemauerlover, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Via @SarahandDrew's Twitter yesterday: "Heard from Alissa - she says she appreciates the support. :)"

2. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

Thx for the info. Still feels young.

Anyway, on topic, I still feel sad thinking of Alissa, I had looked forward to see her have a great comeback from injury at nationals :(

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

4. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

(((Alissa and Alissa fans)))

They did not mention another surgery in this article, so maybe that is good news? (Or maybe it's just wishful thinking? :( )

5. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

USFS' press releases usually contain a minimum amount of info. If a Czisny article shows up with new information and/or direct quotes, a new/separate thread probably should be started in GSD.

6. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Jason and Yuka's decision to enter her in a competition before Nationals and/or compete at all with an unstable hip makes me question their judgment. There are other skaters who they have coached in the past for whom their decisions around physical status, IMO are circumspect.

7. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

:confused: A lot of skaters test their programs to get feed back on their levels. Alissa used to always do a summer event before the GPs besides Champs Camp, so I don't think this has anything to do with her coaching situation.

8. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

??? circumspect = cautious, prudent, or discreet

9. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Remember that Alissa Czisny told Phil Hersh after her WD from NHK Trophy in November that she was hoping to compete once before Nationals:

10. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I don't think Alissa had anything to gain by skating this season. She is respected internationally as well as at home and even taking the year off she still would have had a chance to make it to Sochi if she got it together. Even after the disaster at Worlds this year if she came out with guns blazing next season she would get big scores being as she's so well known and liked as a skater. So taking an extra few months off might have been the thing to do. Of course if a hip is going to go out it probably would have at some pont next season so who knows.

11. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

The Monday morning quarterbacks can postulate all they want. Clearly, she felt she was ready. The programs were well choreographed and she's obviously been skating them. None of you know why her hip dislocated. You aren't her physician, haven't seen the CT scan or even know if this injury was a direct consequence of her previous injury. It was her choice to skate.

barbk, skateboy, UMBS Go Blue and 9 others like this.
  12. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

:respec:

13. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Oh dear, what sad news. Wishing Alissa the best for a full recovery and happy future.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I wonder why she felt compelled to compete so quickly.

15. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Because she felt she was ready?

ETA:

23rd Annual Fox Cities Invitational Results (6.0 judging)

Senior Ladies Championship
    Standings for the Short Program
    Place Name 1 2 3 4 5 Maj. Tie Br. FP
    1. Alissa Czisny, Detroit SC 1 1 1 1 1 5/1 0.5
    2. Rachel Lenz, Valley FSC 2 2 2 2 2 5/2 1.0

Last Updated: Sun, Jan 13, 2013, 07:31AM (Competition local time)

There were national and international judges on hand to provide IJS feedback to Czisny.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  16. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Why? Most athletes want to get back out there as soon as they feel able- it's just their competitive nature. Same reason she went to worlds, same reason Flatt competed with injury, etc.

17. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

And because she wanted to get both programs out in front of an audience and judges for feedback? And because she felt ready.

18. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Are you serious? Hindsight is 20/20. Perhaps she felt ready and strong, how would you know she didn't? Perhaps her physicians had cleared her to skate, which is very likely. I don't see her skating in spite of physician orders. However, surgery does distabilze the hip pretty much forever so this injury could have happened now or a year from now. Do you have any evidence that these extra months off would have made a difference?

19. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

And she competed in a OBO event as well? :huh:

20. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Small club competitions in the U.S. often use majority ordinal judging (6.0, not OBO), plus this is considered "off-season." As I posted above, there were national and international judges on hand to give Czisny feedback on her programs.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  21. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Aaaaaaand the drama gets going again. *Sigh* Guys, no need to get on each other's cases over people's opinions of Alissa's decisions. I think we've all seen these situations enough times to know that fan opinion is merely speculation and that no amount of law school, business school, med school, psych training, skating training or, for that matter, competence in dealing with others, is required to be all-knowing in skating. :D

22. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

We do not know what went on.
    The sad truth is, everybody's different and has a different response to injury.
    I hear all the time, both professionally and in University setting: "Oh, such and such pianist got tendinitis because of bad technique; such and such singer performed too much and did not rest enough and is now ruined". The bottom line is, sometimes it is true and preventable by proper maintenance, sometimes it is just bad luck and body structure. And nobody on the outside ( or sometimes even on the inside) can truly know. Any reason Yagudin could not continue past 2002 and Plushenko is still going? Not really. Body structure. Daily decisions. Most of all- O Fortuna.

23. loulou

loulou Let It Snow

sk9tingfan probably meant to say "suspicious".

24. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

What the hell am I gonna do with all this asparagus?!?!!

Screw the skate gods!!! They ain't gettin' any!!!!

25. GoldenMichelle

GoldenMichelle Active Member

26. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Yagudin had a congenital defect.

dinakt and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I believe the first half of Czisny's FS included music from "Ice Palace Suite" (derived from the score of the 1960 film, Ice Palace) composed by Max Steiner, who also composed the score for GWTW.

I thought Czisny merely declined to announce her music before Nationals - from the Jan. 3rd article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130103&content_id=40838336&vkey=ice_news
    "My long program is choreographed by Marina Zoueva, and I really enjoy skating this program! (Author's note: Czisny hasn't announced her free skate music yet, and she wants to try to keep it quiet until the U.S. championships.)"

28. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Alissa (or her team...) is incredibly classy- I already have a short but gracious reply in my inbox thanking me for my well wishes. That is an extremely fast response (she -or someone- has always replied to messages from her website, but I never expected less than 24 hour turn around)

29. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Me, too. I really hope good fortune shines on her. To think what she has been through, and now, if she is able to return in the future, go through it all again.

30. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Me three. Wishing her all the best whatever the future holds.