Any Loreena McKennitt fans?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Jot the Dot Dot, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

While other singers get all the publicity, here is a singer who is, in my view, the 'definite article'. Having carved a niche for herself as a singer/songwriter/cultural historian, sings with this very beautiful voice, researches the background to her song subject, is able to incorperate elements of folk/Celtic/Spanish/Middle East music, performs songs in concert with the least pretencious air. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsNJuhBfbPg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srBOVO0ug4I

2. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

Love her music. "Dante's Prayer" was the first time I had ever heard her, and I have all but the latest couple of her CDs.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. znachki

znachki Active Member

Love her.

The first time I heard her was years ago (1993?) on one of my local radio stations KMTT. Every year this station does a benefit CD collection of acoustic numbers from artists who play at the station. She did "The Lady of Shalott" on the 1995 CD. I remember the liner notes saying something like - in the early morning, this ethereal soprano floated out of the speakers and everyone just froze.

4. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I absolutely adore Loreena.

5. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I have quite a few of her songs and I can say the reason is b/c of Michelle Kwan! I fell in love with "Dante's Prayer" and it opened me up to her other songs. I actually made a couple of Michelle Kwan skating montages. I did one to her song "Snow" (my favorite) but I had to take it down (licensing crap about the song), but this one to "The Mystic's Dream" is still up.

6. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Yes--I received some of her songs on a mixed tape and liked them. It has been awhile since I've heard them. I need to find my mixed tapes.

7. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

8. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

9. avivadawn

avivadawn Well-Known Member

Love her!

10. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I love her music as well. Feels modern and old at the same time.

11. missflick

missflick New Member

Love her too. Including her Christmas music.

12. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

Another fan, have a few of her albums, but I think the Book of Secrets is still my fav. Which reminds me, I haven't listened to it for a while. (wanders off to go find it).

13. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

LOVE her. "Dante's Prayer" makes me cry. That haunting refrain of "please remember me" ... :wuzrobbed I want it played at my funeral. I'm not usually into lyrics, but they're like a gorgeous poem.

I read her Wikipedia page and I had no idea her fiance died in a boating accident. How tragic. :(

14. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Nowhere near Sarah McLachlan in my heart, but I really like Loreena McKennitt.
    Especially La serenissima (perfect when I want relax) and Blacksmith. :swoon:

15. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

16. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Luurves Loreena’s Blacksmith, and here is the version I first heard years ago by Steeleye Span.
    But back to Loreena, how can one not love that ethereal voice of hers? :swoon:

17. ebayj

ebayj New Member

Huge fan here for many years. She is completely, wonderfully distinctive.

18. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

It's a good thing I'm usually driving by myself in the car, because otherwise one more time playing "The Mummer's Dance" or "The Mystic's Dream" and any passengers would probably beat me with the CD...I love her version of St. John of the Cross, too...

19. Artistic Skaters

Artistic Skaters Drawing Figures

Yes, I have her CD's in my collection. :cool:

20. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Have all her CDs. Love her voice and her music.