Any Kimmie news?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by leafygreens, Nov 1, 2010.

1. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

I can't find any recent articles other than she was the first to vote in her town. The comments from locals seem to be resentful. Other than that, is she competing this season? Still working at the physical therapist office?

2. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

She's not competing. I don't know about the physical therapist office, but she is attending school full-time at the University of Delaware.

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

4. leafygreens

Interesting. Seems like she's taking the unofficial retirement route that Michelle and the Hughes girls took.

5. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Kind of funny that the article implies and at least one commenter seems to think that she won the Olympics.

6. Michael O'C

Michael O'C Member

I don't think that Kimmie ever got the credit that she deserved. The point is that she actually won the world title- something very few people can say they did.

7. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

Not really. They never said "my heart is not in it".

I also agree with the poster who said Kimmie did not get enough credit for her accomplishments. I felt so bad for her during the 2008 season when she was bashed to no end for losing one of the three US spots.

8. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

I am so sick of the 3 spots nonsense. :wall: Meissner and Czisny should suffer for that for the rest of their lives in the minds of some. :2faced::barrel:rolleyes:

9. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

:lol: I think most of the resentment there is political :argue: and nothing to do with Kimmie. There will always be some a-hole anywhere. I think about 99.9% of Harford County (and MD) residents think Kimmie is...what's the best word....awesome. ;)

Based on her tweets, it does seem like Kimmie is still working at the PT office a couple days a week. She is concentrating on school this year, so she is not competing and also wanted to keep her show commitments to a minimum. I'm not sure how much longer she has to graduate, but I hope that we'll see her in more shows and maybe even SOI at some point. She is still the most recent American woman to medal (win) at Worlds. :)

10. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

She was? Why? Getting spots is a "team effort" that requires two skaters. I don't see how Kimmie could be blamed for that. There were three US skaters there with a chance to earn three spots, and Kimmie finished the highest of the US ladies. Not her fault the total didn't add to 13, and in my opinion, not a big deal. It's not like we've really deserved 3 spots after that anyway. I don't see the point in blaming the skaters. It's an individual sport, and I doubt they put much focus on how many spots the US has as long as they have one of them!

11. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

I'm thinking we've seen the last of Kimmie. I was never a fan of her skating per se, but I think it's sad the way her career petered out.

12. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

I don't think there is any accepted mathematics to determine who succeeded and who failed in an attempt to earn 3 spots. The criteria I use is that a skater succeeds if 3 spots can be achieved by somebody placing below her. A skater fails if 3 spots can only be achieved by somebody placing above her.

So when Rachael finished 5th, somebody placing below her could have restored the 3rd spot. Therefore Rachael succeeded. When Kimmie finished 7th, nobody finishing below her could have restored the 3rd spot. That would have required a 6th place finish. Therefore Kimmie failed.

Obviously if the 3rd spot is restored, then both skaters succeeded.

13. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

I think the team of Nagasu and Flatt also "failed" to secure 3 ladies spots at last Worlds.

14. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Yeah, and interestingly enough, both have gotten off easy from the lynch mob compared to Czisny and Meissner. I guess the witch hunters are forgiving them because it was an Olympic year and they were tired coming off Vancouver just a month earlier?

15. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

It's a function of that "missing" 3rd spot not being as vivid yet, (wait 'til January!!) plus people recognizing that competing a month after the Olymipcs is tough.

And I think Mirai is about 1 or 2 more FS meltdowns away from some serious online bashing.

16. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

And all the other girls were fresh as the morning dew.

17. RD

RD Well-Known Member

I don't know why people keep lamenting that she didn't get enough credit. Living in her hometown/home state, I've found she's had plenty of exposure and recognition over here. The simple fact is this: she wasn't around long enough to be remembered on a mass basis. Injuries took her out of the running in 2009 and caused her to miss the Olympic season, the season where everyone pays attention. Still, not since Sokolova have I seen such a quick fall from the top. Maybe the same thing is happening to Mao Asada right now, though.

The 2008 team took a little heat, yes- but I don't remember a particular skater being singled out...the only time that happened is when Czisny took a serious beating from fans for blowing the SP at 2009 Worlds. And this year, even though Nagasu was the one that blew the opportunity, people have tended to be more supportive and encouraging towards her. How's that for a flip-flop?

ETA: IIRC, in 2008- Wagner was the one that really tanked. Bebe surprised people by cracking the top 10, though.

geod2 and (deleted member) like this.
  18. leafygreens

I agree. I was hoping she'd come back. But after the kapoffel (sp?) with her missing regionals last year, I just had a bad feeling.

19. Poggi

Poggi wannabe flower-girl

maybe it's just me, but I am still hoping against hope that she will come back :) *delusional probably*

Angela-Fan and (deleted member) like this.
  20. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Kimmie will be skating at the Kaleidoscope show on December 8th (Will be broadcasted December 19th on Fox at 4:30 pm) Others on the show include Scotty, Kurt, Hamill, Weir, Sasha, Plushy, Joannie and Surya:

http://www.kaleidoscope.org/

21. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Kimmie will also be in the Tribute to the Golden Age of US Figure Skating show at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, NJ on Saturday evening, December 11. This show will be aired on 12/25/10. :encore:

22. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Haven't seen her skate in a while. I hope they show her.

23. leafygreens

Kaleidoscope looks like it will be a fun show.

24. geod2

geod2 New Member

I was a real fan of both Kimmie and her skating, and ITA that it's sad the way her competitive career ended.
    Sasha has been at least skating shows on a steady basis and even she couldn't make a real comeback to anything resembling her former self...therefore, what are Kimmie's chances of doing so?.... Slim and none.
    Too bad, because Kimmie's competitive presence now would've made things pretty exciting ...
    :(

25. RD

RD Well-Known Member

She's done. It may be harsh, but it's true. Look at the way Cohen's and Hughes's "comebacks" turned out. The next generation, I believe, is FINALLY ready to step up and carry US ladies skating.

Time to move forward.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  26. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

Yes, Alissa seems to be ready to step up?

27. geod2

geod2 New Member

PB-
    Careful....don't jinx it for AC...

;)

28. RD

RD Well-Known Member

I said the NEXT generation. ;)

29. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I think she said she'll probably retire after this season. After nationals last year, she said something about one more season.

30. geod2

geod2 New Member

I think the spirit of what Allisa said was basically "one season at a time"....
    IIRC, there wasn't an absolute limit of just one more.

OTOH, Allisa would be the first one to prevent herself from becoming another Fumie Suguri.....

Anyway, we're getting OT....what about Kimmie?

Seems to me that once you've won U.S. and World championships, anything less would seem irrelevant.
    ....was Kimmie's departure and "not having her heart in it" purely and only about physical injuries and the distraction of college?
    The mind can be such a tricky thing.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010