Any jewelry makers here?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Marge_Simpson, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

2. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I make jewelry, when I can spare the time. This looks like a great idea -- I'll check into it. Thanks!

(Someone needs to teach them not to bury the lead, though. [/English major] :) )

3. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

That is wonderful! I am not a jewelry person, but it looks like something many of my friends might enjoy. I will shop it around!

We do have a friend who is a biology professor by day, and at night he makes art glass, especially beads. He is involved with Beads of Courage which is an organization that makes special beads for children with severe medical challenges. When the child enters the hospital, they get a necklace or bracelet. Whenever they go through a procedure that might be scary (and aren't they all?) they get a bead when it's over. Or a bunch of beads for operations, etc. It's a wonderful organization:

http://www.beadsofcourage.org/

4. Andrushka

Andrushka Well-Known Member

I make jewelry sometimes(I have an etsy).Thanks for the link.With my jewelry and my knitting and crocheting,I get much more enjoyment out of crafting for charity than for profit(although a bit of $ doesn't hurt sometimes lol)

5. Marge_Simpson

I make tons of bracelets (with clasps) but then I never wear them myself so I end up giving them away. But I figured stretch bracelets would be better for kids as the size doesn't have to be exact and so I've been doing stretch bracelets all weekend. I'm tired of looking at elastic, though! :lol:
    Has anyone ever done cord bracelets with the adjustable knots? I printed off some instructions for cord bracelets with adjustable knots, but I can't seem to get the hang of it. Grr. :mad:
    Must - learn - to - tie - knots!

6. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Sorry, knotting isn't my strong suit either! I'm always wishing I were better at it.

7. Marge_Simpson

Bwahaha! I figured it out. :D
    I spent the afternoon making bracelets, now I have to replenish my cord supplies.

8. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Any beadworkers here?

I thought I might give it a try. I'm assuming that it doesn't any special skill beyond envisioning the type, combination and order of beads? And the patience to do the beading?

My initial motivation was a beautiful hand-beaded necklace I got a few years ago. It has broken and I've had to put it back together, but it's not the quite the same as it was before I fixed it. So I thought: why not get the same beautiful beads and make your own?

9. Marge_Simpson

I make all my own jewelry....it's not difficult at all. I taught myself from a book. :)