Any fans? Prog-rock band Rush honored by Canada in House Of Commons

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Jot the Dot Dot, May 5, 2012.

1. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

2. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

My first concert was Rush- their Farewell to Kings tour. I spent the whole concert pinching myself in awe that they were really there up on the stage.

I don't really listen much to their genre of music anymore, but I have an immense amount of respect for their musical talent.

3. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Saw them back in 1983 on the Signals tour - we were 14th row, and afterwards, my ears didn't stop ringing for two days.

I still listen to them from time to time. They're all three amazing musicians (as a drummer, I have always been in awe of Neil Peart), but they're also so freaking technically perfect and clean when they play, their music has a, for lack of a better word, sterility that, when compared to other bands, always leaves me feeling like it's lacking something.

4. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I was never a fan and told this guy I worked with and later found out he is/was a friend of (Geddy Lee? sp?) and would use one of his weeks of vacation each year to travel with the band. Boy did I feel stupid. Anyway they certainly had a lot of fans stateside from all of the folks who told me I was indeed nuts not to like their music. The guy who traveled with the band did not say I was stupid or nuts--he was more "to each his own."

5. KatieC

KatieC Going in circles

Not one of their biggest fans, but always liked hearing them on the radio. Nice to be honoured.

6. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Hubby has been a huge Rush fan for years. This is cool.

7. avivadawn

avivadawn Well-Known Member

Rush is my favorite band. 'Nuff said.

8. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I've seen every tour for the past 30 years, and I have to say the most recent show I saw was one of the best of any concert I've ever seen. New CD comes out in June, another tour is afoot! :rollin:

9. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

I wasn't much of a fan (and HATED Tom Sawyer) until I saw their documentary when it premiered in Toronto. My husband was pleased because he's a huge fan, and I was finally on board. We went home that night and bought tickets for that tour. Are they ever spectacular live! Seeing the entire crowd air drum during the (ugh) Tom Sawyer solo was really neat.

I'm not sure I agree with this, but I can see how some feel that way. I think their dedication to being incredible musicians, especially as a band, is so rare these days.

10. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Well this really dates me but I cannot think of Rush without thinking of Doug and Bob MacKenzie.

11. Jot the Dot Dot

12. Jot the Dot Dot