Any Arrow Fans Here?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by missflick, Nov 2, 2012.

1. missflick

missflick New Member

I am hooked. (And sorry, I have been away awhile.)

Epi 4: John Barrowman! Woot!

Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I LOVE this show and read the character biography on Wikipedia. But unlike the rest of fandom I hate Laurel and hope Carly, Diggle's S-I-N, become's of hero's love interest. I also saw the huntress has been cast so she and Laurel are not the same person, THANK GOODNESS! :lol: I also love it that the hero has his mother to answer too. :D Apparently the Arrow is fashioned after The Dark Knight which I do not mind at all. Have no idea who this John Barrowman person is...

3. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Count me in as another who has been following Arrow since it's first episode and try to get my viewing times straight cause it's on Wednesday and so is Survivor.

Methinks mommy dearest is not one to be trifled with. That being said, she should probably be on her son's "hit" list cause it sure seems to me that she had something to do with the boat going down that drowned her first husband.

4. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

I've watched every episode. I'm a comic/superhero fan. It's very well written so far.

Looking forward to seeing The Huntress as a guest star. (The Huntress was on "Birds of Prey" a few years ago on The WB)

5. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I fear that you are right about mommy which is too bad. I like very the idea of a superhero who still has to answer to his mother. LOL now can we kill off Laurel already? :D

6. professordeb

Awwwww, let's keep Laurel around for a while and watch Superhero squirm some more while he tries to hide how much he still very much cares about her AND concealing who he is at night time.

Baby sis -- what a pain she is yet has some pretty good insticts/insights. Let's keep her.

Feeling sorry for newest hubby, thinking he's going to meet up with some bad, courtesy of his wife. After all, getting rid of husband #2 should be easier to manage now that she's had some practice aka bumping off hubby #1.

7. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Arrow is definitely the best new show of the year. :respec:

8. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

But I do love everybody else on the show. As long as we agree Laurel has to go sooner or later! :p

9. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

I too am loving this show. I agree Laurel isn't the greatest but she is just a typical swooning one-dimensional character. I think it would be fun to have sis become aware of what her brother is doing and join in to help him. Looking forward to finding out more about the island and what happened there.

10. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I too would love to hear more about the island. Little sis is very intriguing character.

11. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

Since I am not a reality show fan this is pretty much it for TV viewing on Wednesdays. Not sure I would have tuned in otherwise but I am enjoying it. Obviously it is a big stretch of the imagination but I am will to suspend disbelief to be entertained. Now that is it revealed Mom has secretly recovered the shipwreck I think the chances are slight she was behind any wrongdoing. (One would prefer the evidence to be lost at sea surely.)

Diggle is great - love that his first reaction was "forget it you insane criminal". Love that when he finally agrees to take the job he makes it clear he is no sidekick and still doesn't completely approve but sees a lack of choice.

I really am kind of on the fence about Laurel but think we should give them some time to develop her character better. She is a strong woman who is not foolish, but seems to be unable to make up her mind if she approves, disapproves, or is just conflicted about Arrow's goals and methods. I really think they should play it more as conflicted and stop having her swing completely to and fro from yea to nay and back again.

Island scenes - well hard to watch the lessons but they provide good background to explain need for ruthless behaviour.

Certainly this show is much better realized than that failed show with David Lyons - what was that mess called again? Oh yeah - The Cape.

12. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Where's Arrow?! It's my Wednesday night viewing! :(

13. nlyoung

nlyoung Active Member

I love Fake Batman too! Somehow I've managed to get my husband to watch it with me. Each week he groans about how bad it is, but he has been sucked in by the conspiracy plot, and now has to watch to see how it all turns out ;)

14. Debrah

Debrah Well-Known Member

Love, love, Arrow, so much fun to watch! One of the most entertaining new shows. It's my guilty pleasure for sure...

15. professordeb

Here in Canada, I watched it on Tuesday. Not sure why it was being televised on a Tuesday night, but worked well for me since I had a meeting Wed nite.

16. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

For some reason, mine didn't dvr correctly. I'll have to watch online instead. :(

17. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

WAAAAAHHH!!!! :wuzrobbed

18. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

That was a repeat of the previous week's episode. There was a new one the following night at the regular time. Which I finally watched! Now I have two questions:

1. In public, Oliver is keeping up his playboy/jerk persona. But with people closer to him, he is showing how he has changed. If he doesn't want people to know that he is Arrow, wouldn't he keep up the playboy/jerk person with everybody? (Well, everybody except those he lets know that he is actually Arrow...)

2. Towards the end of the episode, when Laurel returns to Oliver's house after their mini-makeout session, she says, "Nothing can ever happen between us". Why? He's changed, he's not a jerk anymore. They obviously care about each other, both are attracted to the other... Thought they could have been clearer about why she felt nothing should happen between them. And why he agreed...

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

For your first question; it is harder to lie to people who are that close to you. They notice inconsistencies plus "Speedy" in the comics iis his side kick. So maybe they arer gearing up his sister to fit that role someday.

Well the answer to your 2nd question could be because of her sister's death and her dating Tommy now, his friend. As for him, it is both those and his secret life which he told Diggs she was getting to close to. Plus I can't stand her and I am sure that is another reason why. :p

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
    Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  20. professordeb

Peter, I'm pretty sure I saw a new episode (#5) on the Tuesday on a Canadian channel. It was the one where Oliver goes to court and initially says he's going to represent himself. Laurel comes in at the last minute to say she's representing him, much to the dismay of her father. Oliver gets polygraphed where he owns up to "killing" Laurel's sister but then lies about one question yet the poly shows him telling the truth. Laurel calls him out on it later when she says there can't be anything between them (yeah, right!). It was also where our hero's "partner" took on the role while Oliver was on house arrest, thereby giving him a alibi for not being the hooded one.

As for Laurel saying "nothing can happen between us" I am thinking she's trying to keep herself emotionally distanced from him cause she's not really sure she can completely trust him -- after all, he did successfully lie in a polygraph. My guess is that she is still emotionally drawn to him but is fighting it -- typical, hey?! I think I understand why he agreed. He knows that Laurel knows he lied and he wants to give her time and space to show her that he really has changed. Not going to show all his cards to her yet. Besides, he has a job to do and he likely doesn't want her involved in his "new" activities -- at least until he believes he can trust her with such knowledge. I think he trusts her to a certain degree -- after all he showed her his scars -- but he's not ready to tell all.

21. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

Not to mention he was F'ing her sister while still going out with her, and the sister died during....

I think she's just thinking the history is just too much for her to forget, no matter how much she still feels for him.

22. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

The huntress is making her appearance in next week's episode!!! :cheer2: I only saw a brief clip but I like her already!

23. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

:cheer2: We're getting this in the UK too, I think we may be a week or two behind your guys in the US and Canada though.

I'm loving it too, I'm a huge super hero/comic fan and i'm really enjoying this. Me and Mr Antmanb keep laughing at the hood and green eyeshadow protecting "queen's" annonymity...but we're very childish that way :rofl:

24. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Ok so I was never into comic books as a child so I have had to read Wikipedia to learn more about the character Arrow. Not sure how true to the comic book the TV show plans on staying but they might give some insight into what we can look forward to seeing in the future.

Tommy
    Tommy is based on the character of Tommy Merlyn an assassin and enemy of Arrow and an ace archer himself.

Laurel
    Laurel is supposed to be offspring of a cop and Black Canary, a vigilante. Her relationship with Oliver ultimately fails after many ups and downs that would make a Y&R fan dizzy. :p

Speedy
    Is supposed to be Arrow's side kick and partner but that is the nickname of Oliver's sister in the TV series.

Conner Hawke
    This is supposed to be Oliver's son. His mother is unknown but discribed as a black woman. This character has not appeared in the TV series yet but perhaps that describes Diggle's SIN Carly and her son. In the comics Conner assumes the identity of the Arrow for a while.

The Huntress
    Set to appear soon in the TV show and a vigilante. There are several characters who bear this title. But the mobster's vengeful daughter is the version the TV show is going with. In the comic her family is dead but in the TV show they are alive.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
    antmanb and (deleted member) like this.
  25. antmanb

Just watched the episode that aired on Monday here in the UK. Seemed like a filler episode (the one about the people robbing banks) and didn't really advance the main plot...was kind of :yawn: and it took me while to twig that the guy playing Carter seemed really familiar and it was because he's the guy who plays Hicks in Alphas but clean shaven....he looks much better with stubble :lol:

26. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

The Arrow will be on at 7 pm here in Ontario on CTV today. :cheer:

27. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

28. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Just saw this week's Arrow and sooooo approve of Oliver's new love interest. :respec: Hope they keep the Huntress around as an ally and permanent cast member.

29. professordeb

I second that motion especially since it seems his "previous" love has her own love interest. Goooooo Oliver.

30. antmanb

I agree I really like the story line and hope they keep her, but, but, but, didn't you find of the scenes with them in it a tad painful to watch...the acting seemed quite bad.