Any announcement of Skate America location yet?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by stejoho40, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Nan

Nan Just me

This would be wonderful!

2. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

off to check if there's a Detroit, Washington

manhn and (deleted member) like this.
  3. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

:EVILLE:

seriously, though, I've never been to Detroit, that could be fun

4. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

I've been to Detroit and it wasn't fun but maybe its better now, that was 30 years ago.

As long as I don't have to visit my cousin, I'm up for it. :shuffle:

5. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Would this be the first major event in Detroit since the "whack"?

(And if so can you imagine the overzealous security.. if there is anything we do well in America it's "closing the barn door after the cow escapes" AKA "it won't happen here again even if we have to drive everyone crazy")

I have to say that I am "part of the problem" with Skate America. I am one of those fans who goes "eh.. not traveling for this" After Ontario I was kind of like unless it's my backyard again I won't bother. Skaters aren't ready, withdrawals etc.. Just not stellar event IMHO.

6. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

Please tell me Joe Louis Arena has been seriously refurbished and updated since 1994.

7. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Detroit has had SA after 1994.

8. Nan

Nan Just me

9. A.H.Black

True, but I don't think it was Joe Louis. I think it was Cobo Hall?

10. Flip Jump

Flip Jump Active Member

I think the last skate America was in Detroit was 1997 and it was at Cobo. Everyone give Detroit a chance. The hotels close by are great and there are many great restaurants. The JLA is older but serviceable. Detroit/Windsor area is a great place to have Skate America.

11. A.H.Black

My memory is I didn't have a problem with the arena itself, rather with the maintenance. I remember marginal rest rooms and trash that never seemed to be removed or cleaned.

On the other hand, I met some wonderful people in downtown Detroit, enjoyed riding the public transit, and had a very good hotel. I remember it was very near New Year's and the new Mayor was being sworn in. My hotel played host to one of the glitzy parties. Everyone was dripping jewels and dressed to the nines. I remember schlepping through the lobby in our parkas and skating stuff, feeling very under-dressed.

12. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Yes, I have no need for it to be near an airport. I want it within driving distance from my house. 4 hours or less preferably.

13. lexeoe

lexeoe Member

95 was at Cobo. 97 and 98 were at the Joe.