Antonín Dvoák - "From the New World" - Skates???

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Zokko!, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Zokko!

Zokko! Comansnala?

Too bad, I can't remember anyone skated to this, suggestions??? (YouTube). And if not, why? It's such an inviting theme, especially for Men ... !? :slinkaway

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

I've played the New World Symphony twice, and I absolutely love it. Every time I hear it on my iPod, I wonder why more skaters don't use it...

Beatrisa Liang skated to it in the 2009-2010 season -- she skated a strong program at Nationals, but it's been taken off Youtube. What's left is her rather awful performances from the Japan Open and Cup of China from that season..

3. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Zagorska & Siudek skated to this. I am not sure of the year, but may be around 2001 or 2002.

4. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

5. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

It's one of my favorite pieces. Did not know that Tonya skated to it.

Is there anyone who skated to it well?

6. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure it was in 1999, when they won their world medal and also hung on to the program for the following season. Unfortunately I can't find this program on Youtube.

7. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

Yes, it was 1999. They didn't really skate that well at world, but won the bronze still, and I was thrilled for them.
    At the warm-up, Dorotha fell on a throw and crashed into the boards, she looked quite stirred, but they managed to get through the program later. Maybe it was at Euros though. Can't recall excactly...

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

And she said that it only started to hurt her properly once it was their turn to skate (because it was such a long wait after the warm-up). :/

9. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

10. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Tonja sooo deserved to go to Worlds that year. MANY in the Baltimore crowd booed when her scores went up. USFSA wanted to ensure that Jill would make the Worlds team that year & Jill had been outskated by Kristi Y in her senior Ntls debut. Some actually thought that the quality of Tonja's spins and jumps surpassed Kristi's...but Kristi was the cute little darling of the year, with the bouncy ponytail. Tonja and her coach's faces in KnK say it all, when the 'composition & style' scores went up, with 3 5.6s and a bunch of 5.7s.

Figures had almost been phased out by then, so higher scores for Tonja in the FS could have gotten her onto the team.

11. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I think that was Worlds 98 when that happened, but my memory is also rather sketchy on it.

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

There was a young Chinese pair that skated to the third movement of NWS a few years ago. Forget their names, though.

Funny this topic came up. I was just at the Bohemian National Hall which houses a large bronze Dvorak plaque and other Dvorak artifacts.

I also love this piece, and really, all of Dvorak's work. His Slavonic dances are also so great, as is his Cello Concerto. Wish more people would consider him. There's more to life than Swan Lake!!

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Vash01

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  14. Vash01

Tonya looked so good in this program. The spirals were not good but everything else was- powerful jumps (though she two footed the 3L), spins, ina bauer. She should have made the world team that year. IIRC Kristi made the world team for the first time in 89. Jill Trenary was on the team, obviously. Who else was on the team?

15. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

I think Andrei Lutai had a SP to this music.

HisWeirness and (deleted member) like this.
  16. falling_dance

falling_dance ToT Thread For Sale

There were just two spots for US ladies that year.

17. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Toes. You gotta keep 'em separated.

Thanks! I had remembered that one of the Russian men had a program to 'New World' a few years back but I could not remember which one. 'New World' is one of my favorite classical pieces. :)

Andrei Lutai - 2009 Euros SP

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Vash01

Very nice. Thanks for the link.

Why did he retire so young? It seems he did not compete after 2010 and he is coaching now. Did he have an injury?

19. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

IIRC he was suspended for DUI in the US during his GP and never returned after that?

Then he got married with Ina Demirova (Denkova's sister) and was supposed to skate for Bulgaria but that never materialised and he's coaching there now together with his wife.

20. casken

casken Well-Known Member

It was.

21. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

He discovered his faible for American cars.