ANTM Cycle 18 - Yanks vs. Brits

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cyn, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Did anyone else know this was on? I didn't even realize until an hour ago that a new cycle was starting up tonight :eek:.

Tyrant is pitting 7 American chicks (none w/ any prior NTM experience) up against 7 British gals (all of whom are previous contestants on Britain's Next Top Model).

I don't have a TV in the office so I can't do PBP, but from what I've seen so far, it looks like this is going to be one of the bitchier, :drama: :argue: seasons in a long while.

As far as the hamsters go, some of the British chicks have potential, but most of the American ones are absolutely trainwrecks - WOOF :scream:. Whoever does the makeovers is really going to have their work cut out for them.

After the last disaster of the "All-Stars" Cycle, I decided I was pretty much done, but given the choice between this or American Idol, I'll take the cheesy snarkfest that won't make my ears bleed (for now, at least :lol: ).
  2. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Agh, I didn't even know it was on!
  3. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Did not know this was on; totally missed it.
  4. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

During a commercial break, I started channel surfing and got caught up in watching something else and missed the rest of it :eek:.

The CW website usually uploads episodes after a few days (plus Comcrap should have it On Demand by this weekend) -- If I watch it, I'll post a summary and some snarkage about it.
  5. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

What a weird concept. I remember most of the Brtish girls. Catherine, Big Angry Louise, Alisha, and Sophie were all runners-up on their cycles. Jasmia came in third; Anneliese made it about halfway through her cycle and Ashley must have been booted early, because I don't remember her at all.
  6. CarolineL

CarolineL Member

Ashley was in Sophie's cycle, she came third or fourth. She was quite a personality, very abrasive (ok, bitchy) and her Scottish accent got unintelligible when she was angry or drunk (both of these occurred a lot). She is my favourite going in.
  7. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

It was atrocious. I'm wondering why the UK women are doing this. Are they getting paid? I'll still watch it.
  8. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Next week's photo shoot was called "creepy" by TVGuide magazine. Tyra's dressing them up as
    Toddlers
  9. walei

walei Well-Known Member

I actually enjoyed it way more than the past two seasons...
  10. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Oh, her. Yes, now I remember. Better her than Stephanie, the incredibly self-absorbed princess who would not shut up. I think she was in Big Angry Louise's cycle.
  11. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Not just toddlers, but toddlers as in Toddlers and Tiaras.
  12. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Well-Known Member

Is Tyra just batshit insane? These cycles are so strange compared to the early ones, where I had a strange sort of respect for her.
  13. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

I think she's forgone looking for a model and is now just in it for the entertainment.

ETA If anyone is interested, EW has next week's pictures. I think "creepy" might be a bit of an understatement, but that's just me.
  14. duane

duane New Member

I watched the first 25-30 min or so. It just didn't keep my interest.
  15. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

The really manly US girl, OMG. I like the plus size girls and the native American and the one who survived bottom two from Scotland. I don't need the subtitles, perfectly understandable to me.
  16. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

OK, this show has been jumping little baby sharks for years, but, this one is a
    Great White.:eek:
    The British girls are supposed to have experience and they were worse than the US girls who are completely new.
    And the US girls were pretty bad too.
    What a train wreck. I don't know if I will watch the rest of the season, it seems twice as phony as usual.
  17. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

I actually love this cycle so far! I wasn't expecting to, but I think the Americans look amazing and the Brits have great personalities. Love Sophie and Laura! :cheer2:
  18. Karpenko

Oh! Next week is fun!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEA0vP9C-YY&feature=player_embedded

Kelly Cutrone seems like a ginormous biatch, it's not surprising she could generate this kind of response. She totally had an attitude problem but geez Louise I loved her "I don't want to be a f*cking brand on this f*cking bul*shit" SO much! :swoon:
  19. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

I caught up this weekend. Kelly doesn't have a nice word for anyone! :lol:
  20. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov New Member

This show still gets renewed? I haven't watched it since goodness knows when.

Over the weekend, cycle six was being aired on the Style channel. Things have really gone downhill since then. Danielle/Joanie are one of my favorite final two in the history of the series. Back then the girls actually looked as if they could have made it as models. I've gotten the feeling that as far the the American contestants are concerned, those in charge of casting have run out of decent girls to add to the show.
  21. Karpenko

^ This cycle is actually turning out to have some really good girls - All of the brits are working models who were on BNTM, and every single American girl has a very modelesque look. The makeovers this cycle were also very high fashion(I love Sophie's bubblegum pink hair!). Whenever I'm not expecting a cycle to be any good its one of the best, then the next 3 or 4 are awful and I lose interest... Now here I am again.

I'm pretty impressed so far, it's my favorite cycle since 13 when Nicole Fox won.
  22. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Well-Known Member

I would think they shouldn't run out of girls per se, new ones should be growing up?
  23. Glide2

Glide2 New Member

The PR woman was terrible and mean to the girls. She showed an obviuos bias to the American team. Why is she even on this show? I thought the Brit girl was 100% right to say she had her fill of abuse and go (even if it also came across as very PMT). And last week she had to put up with momma Kardashian!
  24. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

I haven't seen the episode yet, but I'm glad someone bucked up and said eff off (or something to that effect). :shuffle:
  25. Daphne

Daphne Active Member

After last season, I wasn't planning to ever watch another ANTM, but since I like a lot of the British girls from having watched BNTM, so I changed my mind. My favorite incarnations of the show are Australia's and Germany's.

To me, there seems to be a lot of bias towards the American girls over the Brits. I wish Louise hadn't left, but I understand why she spoke up and walked out.
  26. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

I agree that there seems to be a bias. I prefer the Brits and hope the Americans get booted but I know that isn't going to happen. I hate how obnoxious the American girls are.
  27. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Bias or not, Louise's tantrum was ugly. Tyrant often says that if you can't handle criticism, then maybe modeling is not for you.
    Kelly was even going to tell her that she liked her photo.
  28. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Louise threw some ugly tantrums on her original cycle as well. It didn't take much to set her off.
  29. walei

walei Well-Known Member

I bet the producers were all cheering for a job well done because they WANT Louise to blow up like that for drama purposes.

I like the Brit girls more than the US ones, but that wet paper balls attack was really immature also.
  30. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I'm sure that's why they cast her in the first place.