ANTM Cycle 14

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by genevieve, Mar 11, 2010.

1. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Sooo...did the short cycle chase everyone away? :lol:

As usual, the first ep is a big clusterfeck of shrieking girls and it's hard to know who will rise and who will fall. Added bonus: Makeover right off the bat and an almost nudie shoot for the first challenge (although we have to wait for next week to see how that turns out).

First impressions:

FLOVE Ren! Gorgeous, looks like she's already a working model, and any girl who shows up to a modelling contest au natural has my vote :lol: Also digging Naduah, Gabrielle and Raina. Did not think much of Simone or Anslee before their makeovers, but they both got haircuts that take them from generic to really stunning. and Anslee seems like a firecracker. I feel bad for Brenda. I bet her hair will look great in styles for photo shoots, but without OTT styling she looks like a poor cross between Ziggy Stardust and Happy Days-era Ron Howard. :( I thought Alasia was going to be the typical OTT batshit trouble-maker, but I kinda like her. Love her curls as well.

Tatiana, Jessica and Alexandra don't stand out much yet. Poor Angelea as well - I think she got the WORST makeover...that hair is way too heavy, the bangs are too long, and her features no longer stand out. Plus, she seems to have decided that the best way to celebrate making it on the show this year is to be the class A bitch.

Which leaves Krista. She's gorgeous, and seems to be able to put this opportunity in perspective (i.e. she hates her new hair but worked too hard to get on the show to argue about it). I was all set to root for her, but the way she just inserted herself into that Angelea/Alasia snit was just stupid.

Did anyone else watch? :saint:
  2. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

I have sepnt the whole evening thinking that there was something on television that I was supposed to watch. I flipped through the normal channels and didn't see anything. Whoops.
  3. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

I watched! Can't remember most of the names yet (I usually need 3 episodes before the names start to click) but I LOVED Naduah! I thought she looked like Kate Moss before she picked her for the super model challenge. I also really liked the red-head after they chopped off her hair, Gabrielle's look is really interesting, and Tatianna looks very striking (If I see her on the street, I'd think she's a super model.) I thought Simone is GORGEOUS, and reminds me a little of Keenyah from cycle 4. Krista reminds me of Tiffany from cycle 4 and I don't like her look (She won't be able to do soft photos.) Oh, and I think Angelea looks like the transexual girl they once had. The rest haven't stood up for me yet (and I'm not digging armpit-hair girl yet)
  4. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

I am waiting for it to get up on the CW's website, I missed it last night because of synchro practice. My pre-show faves were Naduah and Jessica. BTW, I saw an interview with Ren that she didn't have to audition, she was handpicked for the show.
  5. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

THANK you. I wasn't the only one thinking that. Actually I was thinking "Damn, Isis was a more convincing female." They could be fraternal m/f twins. Angelea's the boy.

It looks like--Ren submitted her photo on-line and Tyra selected her? Interesting. I wonder if they're going for the resentment angle (in addition to the 'nature girl'--ew. Sorry, I'm with the ancient Romans, sometimes even shaving's not enough, never mind just...ew.)

Please let that be the last of Perez Hilton.

And so far--names are escaping me, but I like blonde Arkansas girl and the girl who actually knows obscure models (had the big curly hair, went blonde-ish in the makeover.) Ren may turn out to be quite good.

I felt sorry for redhaired girl who got her hair hacked off. I hate short hair on women as 99.9% cannot carry it off, plus I always think, especially on model bodies, it makes them look like prepubescent boys. (On that .1% it can look FANTASTIC. Naduah has the skull shape to carry off the most extreme version.) On more typical female physiques it says "mother" "elderly" or "nun." Getting such a MASSIVE overhaul is stressful, especially if her boyfriend loved her hair long. And I LOVE how in the "Cover Girl ANTM Lounge" segment immediately afterwards the two former contestants were like "Bitch please" about Angelea's cattiness.
  6. genevieve

Agreed that Angelea looks a bit like the transgendered woman they had...I think she'll have a much harder time doing 'soft' poses than Krista. I figure they'll keep her around a few weeks for the conflict/entertainment factor but I can't see her getting too far.

I wish they'd chosen the other plus-sized model instead of Alexandra. Her whole Glamazonia persona made her a bit too drag queen but Alexandra seems dull and looks too much like the + sized model who won.

ps I cheated on the names and looked them up. After the show the only one whose name I could remember for sure was Ren!

To that I say tough shit. Anyone who applies to this show who has an attachment to their hair being long is just asking for the shortest, most radical cut. And anyone whining about their boyfriend preferring (insert whatever's being changed) deserves to go home just for that reason. Hello - watch the show. Modelling means you do not control your own appearance a lot of the time, and doing ANTM means a very good chance of getting your precious hairs cut off, so stay away if cutting it would be "stressful" to you.
  7. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Angelea also needs to loose the big ghetto hoop earrings. I don't know if she has bad posture and slumps her neck forward, or if they're so heavy they're dragging her head down.

Who is the girl with the dark eyebrows where they dyed her hair to match? Are there any genetics experts here who can explain how if she REALLY "never dyed my hair before" her eyebrows are almost black and her hair was blond? (And "perfect?" Tyra, SERIOUSLY? She has HUGE lips, a big nose, and eyes out of proportion to the width of her face, and you think magic marker lines make it BETTER?) Though she was one I was thinking just might end up photographing better than she looks--ie, she's not at all pretty, but might take good pictures. Rather like Marjorie from cycle whatever--VERY not attractive in person, but took great pictures because of the shape of her face.
  8. genevieve

wow, tonight really shook things up!

Was bummed to lose Gabrielle so early but honestly, her photo was atrocious. I thought Krista's was pretty bad but her face and body are so strong I knew they wouldn't get rid of her. Thought Alasia's photo was even worse than Gabrielle's, but with one of the judges firmly in her corner no way was she leaving - and I can't argue with the rationale..it truly is better to have people react strongly to a photo than have nothing to say at all. Sigh.

Ren....WTF. she squeaked by this week but she doesn't have the drive to win this unless something changes quickly. Maybe the fact that she was hand-picked instead of going through the audition process gave her the impression that this would be simple? Anyway, completely hated her attitude this whole episode. OTOH, I hated Naduah even more, so glad Ren is still there.

Raina is now my favorite.
  9. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Ren is either going to self-select out of the competition or rise to the occasion. I predict the latter, especially since my liking a contestant is usually the kiss of death.
  10. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

tip: whining to the judges about contact lenses, cold wind etc... when all the other girls had the same challenges and some did brilliantly, is a big mistake. I'm surprised Tyra didn't rip her a new one for it, although ALT started to.
  11. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

I like the girls this season, including Angelea aka Jaslene 2.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I feel they're much more modelesque.

Raina killed her photo. I can see her, Sonia, and Brenda going far.
  12. genevieve

Sonia? Do you mean Simone?

I liked Angelea much better this week - I like her hair when she doesn't wear those too-heavy, too-long bangs on her face but sweeps them to the side. And she did amazing in the first photo. Didn't like her 2nd pic as much but she is doing way better than last week would have indicated.

Every time they mentioned Tatiana I was like "who's that?" She stands out even less than she did last week.
  13. Alixana

Alixana recovering Oly-holic

They said Brenda looked old last night .. kiss of death for poor Brenda.
  14. Ajax

Ajax New Member

I am quite surprised at the eliminations so far - I'd have predicted that both of those girls would go far based on their interesting looks. Ren is whiny and annoying and I don't get why she got handpicked and had a special entrance. I predict she'll go home soon because it's obvious she doesn't want to be there. Alasia is just not pretty.
    My favorites so far are Raina (who's a deadringer for either Denise Richards or Adrienne Palicki) and Jessica. However I doubt the latter can win because I don't see Covergirl backing a 16 y.o. mom.
    I didn't notice a Covergirl commercial with Nicole, was there one? They also didn't do the Top Models in action where they show what past contestants are up to.

ETA: Andre Leon Talley annoys the hell out of me. I don't care how much of a fashion bigshot he is, inserting random French words every two sentences and then translating them was just WTF. So pretentious.
  15. love skating

love skating Clueless American

I like everyone's look this year. I was shocked that Naduah (sp?) went home. In the first episode I thought she would be the winner, but she was disappointing in the first two photoshoots.
  16. genevieve

I'm also not loving Andre Leon Talley. I really felt like he backed Alasia's picture in the first round because he liked her. The only way he'd hang that hideous picture in his salon would be for laughs. bring back Paulina!!!! :wuzrobbed
  17. sodapop

sodapop New Member

I was amazed how bad Naduah both photographed and did runway because she was so good in casting. I thought they might keep her around for some :drama: but she really was weak and deserved to go.

You can tell Andre Leon Talley is already pissing off Tyra. I love it.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Talley may be pretentious and ridiculous (Gucci-esque-ish? Seriously, André?) but any judge who pisses off Her Royal Tyness can't be all bad.

I'm okay with the eliminations so far. I did hope that Naduah would last longer, partly because her accent seemed as changeable as the girls said her backstory was.

I was a little surprised that Ren turned out to be this cycle's Weeping Willow. I won't be surprised if she quits or just gives up in a challenge/shoot and gets eliminated soon.

I'm not sure who the front runners are yet. Definitely not Alexandra or the moms (Anslee and Jessica?). Brenda already got the "photographs old" critique, so she's doomed. (I really liked her nude photo, though. She looks good with dark hair.) Krista might make it halfway. Angelea's House Bitch, so we're probably stuck with her for a while, but she won't win. Alasia strikes me as C7's Monique 2.0. I'm sick of her already. Simone seems to be headed for the "resting on pretty" edit. I can see Raina and Tatianna in the F2, with someone unlikely (Angelea for ex.) rounding out the F3.
  19. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

:respec:

Alasia is also so intollerable that she will stick around for awhile...she creates a lot of :drama:
  20. Ajax

Ajax New Member

If I had to live with Alasia I'm sure I would have thrown a hairbrush at her already. I don't blame the other girls for being sick of her.
  21. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

Alasia is obnoxious and immature. I don't blame Ren for telling her to STFU. I actually think Jessica could be a front runner. She can do pretty and fresh as well as high fashion. I think she'll at least go overseas.
  22. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

I agree somewhat. She is annoying but I don't think Ren had the right to tell her to "STFU" I thik she could have been a little more polite in asking her to keep it down.

I hope Ren can stop being the weeping willow too because I like her a lot. Still don't think Gabrielle or even Nadua should have gone home. Alasia pic was terrible whatever that freak Talley says. And At least Nadua was interesting although not as interesting as she thinks apparently.

Hate Angelea and I think she looks like a drag queen.

I like Jessica and Tatiana and Raina. Krista at 24 is actually too old and a red head won last year so bye-bye Brenda.

Simone is pretty but dull and not a model I don't think.

Alexandra I think will go next.

By the way does anyone think the bickering is a bit much this year. So far there has been a fight every episode including the one coming and all between different girls! I really don't remember a season where there was a squabble EVERY episode.
  23. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Well, like Sparks said, Alasia creates drama, so if Angelea fails as a shit-disturber, they've got a back-up.
    Sparks and (deleted member) like this.
  24. IceKween

IceKween New Member

Alasia's picture was almost so wtf and horrible that I felt she deserved a second chance. Gabrielle did safe and, um, something I can't figure, so I'm glad she went home.
    I have an extremely high success rate (said in Patti Stanger style) in picking the finalists from the get go. The ones that have stood out are Brenda, Raina, and Simone. I'd pick Brenda right now, but anyone could have an awful week and get eliminated.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  25. all_empty

Sorry, I did mean Simone, not Sonia.
  26. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

There seems to be a pattern in the cycles and the winners the past few cycles have been: Latina, plus-sized, awkward/anti-social, and exotic Black. And is there a blonde somewhere in there?

So maybe it's time for a new type of black winner or a girl of mixed ethnicity to win?
  27. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

CariDee C7 was a natural blonde. Mixed race winners of past cycles: Yoanna C2 and Naima C4. A new type of black winner would be Simone, the Honor Student. She goes to Duke.
  28. IceKween

IceKween New Member

Eh, I was hoping Ren would get a better attitude, because I thought she had great potential. But she was the pits. I still think final three is Reina, Brenda, and Simone. I still don't get Angelea, at all. And I didn't see the brilliance of Alasia's pic either. Hmm.
  29. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

May have been in another thread...where's Ms. Jay this year, why isn't he judging?
  30. Ajax

Ajax New Member

I'm glad Ren is gone, girl was just annoying... Can't believe she ratted the others out to Brenda. I thought almost all of the photos were disappointing this week, despite such a promising theme.

Alasia's outfit at panel :yikes:
  31. IceKween

IceKween New Member

Yeah, it was rather disingenuous of Ren to be crying and complaining on camera about all the drama, when she was the shi*t-stirrer in the first place. She was the one to rudely tell Alasia to STFU, and she was the one to rat out the girls and tell Brenda they were talking about her. She'd light these fires, and then claim victim and drama. Good riddance. I can't stand people like her.
  32. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Angelea - is that her name? What a bitch!
  33. all_empty

Updated final three predictions: Krista, Raina and Jessica.

I'm counting down the days that Anslee goes home. She photographs a little old to me.

Alasia's got a bad attitude and is immature. Angelea is a second-rate Jaslene in my opinion -- her photos aren't anywhere as good either. Alexandra has a beautiful face but there's no way a plus-size girl will win.

Krista has grown on me. She is so long and lean and different looking I hope she sticks around.

Raina FTW.
  34. genevieve

Anslee photographs more than a little old to me. She looks about 35.

I love Raina! Krista looks more and more like a star with each shoot - and at panel.

I think Jessica is a total snooze.
  35. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

I'm glad I'm not the only that thinks Angela looks like a transexual. I haven't seen every episode, but so far Jessica is my favorite.
  36. all_empty

Anyone watch the finale?

Krista was so strong at the end, and really had the passion.

I have no doubt Raina will find work.
  37. genevieve

Krista has been so strong in the last several episodes...there was no chance anyone else could win. Raina started so strong, but the last couple of photo shoots have been ok but not great. I thought for a moment that they might have put Alexandra in the F2, because she suddenly figured out how to take great photos in the last couple weeks.

I really did not like Andre Leon Talley as a judge. His comments all season long have been about who he likes, not the photos.

Congrats Krista, and I agree, Raina will have no problem getting work :)
  38. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Krista should shoot whoever chose that wig for her to wear in the Anna Sui show. It made her look like a cross-dresser.
  39. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

I love Alexandra. She is so gorgeous, I hope Tyra is right and she gets a ton of work. Raina also won't have a problem getting work. Krista was always meh to me, and she looks sooooo OLD. I wonder if that will hinder her.

I really couldn't stand Angelea. From the false bravado to the awful way she spoke, I just wanted to smack her. I couldn't believe she made it that far. I had to laugh when her dress started to fall down and she kept having to hike it back up.
  40. IceKween

IceKween New Member

Let's just throw this season back into the water and forget about it. Krista had some striking photos, but she looked old and haggard IMO. I was hoping for Raina to win, but it became clear that whoever ALT wanted was going to get it. I detected a little tiff brewing between ALT and Nigel, because it seemed Nigel was on team Raina.

I hope next season is better, because this was a pretty bad season.