Another New Skates Advice Thread

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by C_T_T_, Oct 22, 2010.

1. C_T_T_

C_T_T_ Well-Known Member

I'm currently skating in Risport RF2 supers with gold star blades. I got them when I was about 13/14. Since they I've stopped skating, skated for fun and started taking lessons again in June. My boots are old and worn and blades have little rocker left on them.

First question....should I replace them both at once? or should I change one, get used to that and then change the other?

Secondly, I think I'm quite happy to get the same again, although I would get half a size smaller in my boots as they are a bit big. I'm quite unfamilliar with other brands as the shop here only sold risport or jackson. I have very narrow feet so Jackson were no use to me. Can anyone suggest makes/models that would be simillar to Risport RF2 Super? I'm also scared I won't be able to break these boots in now. I'm only skaing once a week, doing axels and hopefully soon some doubles. Do I really need something this strong now? On the other hand, I'm much bigger than I was when I go these ones so if I get something with less strength will the break down too quickly?

We have no shop here anymore but I'll be passing through London at the end of next month and am hoping to be able to try some things on. Any of our British posters familiar with Lonskate?

Sorry for the rambling but I'm spending a lot of money and want to talk it through with people who understand!

2. Diane Mars

Diane Mars Active Member

Why not buying Risport RF2 again ?!? Let them be heat molded and that's it ;p

3. C_T_T_

C_T_T_ Well-Known Member

We'll good chance I will get the same again but mainly because I know nothing about any other brands and can't find much about them. Just thought someone here might be able to tell me if there are any othere brands which tend to fit people with very narrow feet but perhaps not. There's no point in going out of my way to get to a shop which doesn't stock things which might work.

If I don't get to a shop then, yeah, I'll stick to what a know but they can't heat mold them when I'm in a different country! :p

4. tangerine_dream

tangerine_dream New Member

I skate in Risport RF2 Supers and I love them. Not only are they the only off the shelf boot to even fit me perfectly, they fit me better than any customs I've had (and I've had Riedell, Harlick, and SP Teri). If you like Risport and they fit your foot, chances are Jacksons, SP Teri, Harlick, and Riedell will not suit you. I'm not familiar with Klingbeils but I do know they are way more lightweight and if you're recently coming back it might not be too good to switch from what you are used to. Grafs were great in theory but my worst nightmare in practice...they almost forced me to quit skating.

Go with the the Risports. I love those boots. I didn't have mine heat-molded, by the way...and they were fine. If they're not, most countries have pro shops that will heat mold for a small fee, and if they don't have the machines they will at least punch them out for you. Anyway, you'll have the same issue with most boots as most boots today are meant to be heat molded, even customs.

If you don't want to bother breaking in the RF2 Supers, then get RF2s (no super) they're softer. If you want to go MUCH softer, get RF3s...but I wouldn't. The first week in supers is pretty tough but they break in rather easily.

5. C_T_T_

C_T_T_ Well-Known Member

Thanks for your reply Tangerine dream! I'm pretty set on the risports now but I will be able to get to a shop in London on my way to TEB so I can try them on and maybe get them heat moulded then. I've been emailing the guy who works there and he seems pretty helpful so hopefully I'll get sorted and if not well I'm no worse off!