Another major dog treat recall

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by judiz, Jan 29, 2013.

1. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

The Hartz Mountain Corporation is voluntarily withdrawing its Hartz ® Chicken Chews™ and Hartz ® Oinkies® Pig Skin Twists wrapped with Chicken for dogs in the United States because they contain trace amounts of unapproved antibiotic residue.

No other Hartz products are affected by this withdrawal.

If you have these products contact the Hartz Consumer Affairs team (24 hours/day 7 days/week) at 1-800-275-1414 for a product refund or go to www.hartz.com for additional information.

2. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

I have heard other bad things about Hartz products over the years such as about their Flea drops and their shampoos having ingredients that are harmful. I won't use them.

3. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

Has anyone heard negative things about Blue Buffalo dog food? That's what I feed mine but several people have told me I should switch because there was something bad about the food. I can't seen to find anything online about the brand. It was recommended by the pet store when I first got her.

4. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

5. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

If you live near a Tractor Supply, their store "premium" brand, 4Health, is just as good as the Blue Buffalo/Diamond etc. foods and a lot cheaper (and hasn't been recalled.)

6. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

I gave my new puppy Blue Buffalo for about a week, because it has a reputation for being high quality. Not only did I subsequently discover from a number of sources that the regular brand of Blue Buffalo foods are not rated that high in quality compared to a lot of other natural and holistic brands, but I did not like some of the effects it had on my puppy. The worst was that he began to issue the most noxious poops I've ever smelled. (Apparently, I'm not alone in that experience. Google "Blue Buffalo stinky poop" and you'll get a lot of hits.) His coat also seemed to lose its softness after a few days of the Blue Buffalo. I switched him over to the puppy food from Holistic Select, which is the brand I give my adult dogs and the stench went away and his coat improved.

7. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

My father's barber was an immigrant from Lebanon and he said he was flabbergasted when he saw dog food on the shelves at the grocery store because in his village people gave dogs scraps and leftovers. I used to think the dogs in his village were unlucky compared to our dogs but now I'm not so sure.

8. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

That's funny because my dog LOVES to eat her poop. I've been trying to break her of this nasty habit. Someone said maybe try a cheaper/lower-grade food and it won't taste or smell as good. I guess Blue Buffalo is easily digested and passes through the system quickly, making it attractive to dogs to eat it.

9. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

I thought one of the reasons dogs ate their own poop was because they weren't getting enough nutrients in their food. If food passes quickly through a dog's system, the dog is likely not getting enough nutrients from it. Switching to something where the dog would get even less nutrients would likely exacerbate the problem.