Another Eva Cassidy gush thread

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by ebayj, Aug 15, 2010.

1. ebayj

ebayj New Member

Okay, usually I'm pretty up on the songbirds, but I was wayyy behind on this one - pat c and Spinner had both extolled her consummate artistry to me before - so are their other Eva fans here at FSU? I know she found broader exposure in Britain via Top Of The Pops a while after her tragic death at age 33 from cancer in the mid 90s. I run out of superlatives for this instrument - ethereal, haunting, transcendent, timeless, you get the idea . . .

She most notably gave us the other definitive version of Over The Rainbow - truly equal to the immortal Judy Garland:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RDmXsGeiF8

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I am a HUGE fan! Her voice bring chills to my skin, as matter of fact I got chills just thinking about her voice. I can't describe how much her songs move me. I can't even tell you where to begin but go to youtube and listen to everything she covered. There is a lot and sometimes I will find another song I didn't realize she covered!

3. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

Another fan. My favorites from her include Over the Rainbow, What a Wonderful World, Autumn Leaves, Time After Time, and Bridge Over Troubled Water, a song I really didn't care for until I heard her version.

4. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

I own all her CDs, any Eva gush thread will attract me. What an artist!! And how much we lost when she died. I can listen to her work over and over, and find new shadings the 100th time I hear something.

Another songbird who left us too soon and was fabulous (slightly different style than Eva), Nancy Lamott. If you don't know her work, I recommend her highly.

5. ebayj

ebayj New Member

Thanks Brian. I just bought Songbird off of iTunes - it is beyond stunning. I feel so fortunate that her performances were preserved before her tragic death.

6. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Joining the gushing...!

7. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

That is beautiful. I had never heard of her before. How incredibly sad that her life was cut so short. :(

8. PAskate

PAskate New Member

I have several of her CDs. Besides loving them, I also find they're great to listen to when I want to reduce my stress. Totally tragic that she did not get to experience the success that her music found after her death.

9. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

10. Spinner

Spinner Where's my book?

If I had to pick one song as a fave (no easy task!) it'd be "Autumn Leaves". Sends chills through me every time. A neat fact, this was recorded live at Blues Alley and the piano interlude was virtually impromptu for that performance.

11. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

I don't know, I like Kathy's song......and time after time..........rainbow. Well quite a few actually. ;)

12. Spinner

Spinner Where's my book?

All awesome. And a special note about "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"--it's Eva's own arrangement. She didn't want it to sound like or be compared to Judy's version, so she completely made it her own. Lucky for us.

pat c and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Eva always had the ability to strip down songs to their bare soul. Sting's "Fields of Gold" just feels so cheap and artificial in comparison to her version. :)

14. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Very few female singers will come even close to Eva Cassidy's vocal purity and emotional honesty in the delivery of her songs. That unique combination of simplicity but also richness is something that is sorely missing in any radio format today.

I think Elton John has been quoted as saying that Eva had the best female pop singing voice ever. If we were to isolate only those singers from 1990-onwards, I have to agree.

15. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Another fan here. Her voice is so pure, and her interpretation is so light, so neutral.
    My favorite of her is Kathy's song (original by Simon and Garfunkel) :)

16. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

So true. Even Sting, the largest ego on the planet about his music, had to admit she'd trumped him.

17. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Simone411 and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Thank you (((skatesindreams))).

Gypsy and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Icetalavista

Icetalavista Active Member

I was at a bookstore the other day, and this recording came on of a woman with a rather good voice. She appeared to have amazing range, doing show tunes, jazz, gospel-y things...and lo and behold it was Eva Cassidy. So I guess I'm a new fan too.

20. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Big fan here too. I love her version of Cheek to Cheek. The only other pure voice that comes to mind is Karen Carpenter. Not saying they sound alike at all but Karen also had that unique sound.

21. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

i adore eva- i actually had no idea about her when michelle used FOG
    but i stumbled on her when her cd was re=released in uk
    i love her fog version and it ws so moving whne mk skated to it....

22. Gypsy

Gypsy Watching the Leaves Change!

Count me as another fan...
    I love "I Know You By Heart" It is such a beautiful song and the emotion she projects is amazing.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
    Simone411 and (deleted member) like this.