Another Carnival Cruise ship having problems

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Vash01, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

My husband and I really wanted to go on a cruise soon as our next big vacation but now I refuse. Clearly it is not an isolated incident. At least not for Carnival.

3. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

Brian-I believe the issue is carnival. I have been on 3 cruises on different lines. No problems.

4. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

This does not bode well for Carnival Corp. I enjoyed my cruise with them, but that was 11 years ago - something is going on. Maybe a lack of maintenance or something...

5. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

These minor propolsion (Legend) and steering (Elation) problems happen all the time on every line. I think the cruise industry is just under a ton of scrutiny right now.
    I've been reading Cruise Critic forums for like 6+ years now, and there is always some issue about a ship making it to the port late, or skipping a port due to slow speed. I know for a fact this has happend on NCL, Celebrity, and Azmara (high end), and am almost certain I recall issues with RCCL as well. These ships run 24/7 365, and preventative maintence takes place either in ports or in dry docks that take place like every 5+ years, they are bound to have little breakdowns.

Now the Triumph issue is a big one, though I'm not sure the Dream is that big of a deal (though it sucks for the people on board)- if I understand it they didn't "break down" but an inspection revealed a problem with the -backup- system. Of course, you can't sail without the back up in place, and the delay is to fix it, but since the primary didn't actually fail there wasn't a dangerous situation there. Just a sucky inconvience (though really is an extra day in St. Maarten that bad? Once they realized they weren't leaving, they let them off the ship again.) But it was found during scheduled maintenance. That is exactly what schedule maintanence is for.

And seriously- toilets back up all the time. I would hazard to guess 50% of ships at sea have a toilet backed up every week. Heck, my office building does. What the media is reporting as rivers of excrement comes down to like two flooded bathrooms.

I've taken 3 Carnival cruises, the most recent Triumph last spring, and they have all been fantastic. They offer an excellent product at a low price. I think I would give Carnival a bit of time to get their fleet back in line however before booking again. It does seem that they are cutting some maintanence cost.

But I wouldn't let it sour me on the entire cruise industry. We have a cruise booked next year on Celebrity Xpedition. This week someone reported on Cruise Critic that the stabilizer's failed making it a very rough trip. Oddly, the news didn't pick that up... Celebrity isn't the whipping boy of the moment.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  6. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

"In the morning, in the evening, ain't we got fun?" I remember the Kathie Lee commercials made me think a Carnival cruise is something to skip. With the latest events my opinion has not changed...

7. KCC

KCC Active Member

I recently returned from my first cruise ever, on Royal Caribbean, on one of their mid-size ships (not the massive 4-5000 guest ones). I expected it to feel crowded, but I found many spots with little to no people. The whole experience was wonderful and nothing broke down. Great food and entertainment. Wonderful gym and spa. Lots of pleasant people, except for the 20 or so spring break kids who were a mess the whole time. I would go back on RC any time, realizing that all equipment has periodic maintenance issues and there are risks with all ships. Carnival's party reputation is not my style, so that was not on our list even before their recent issues.

8. Sarah

Sarah Active Member

I recently (end of January) took a Carnival cruise (Carnival Pride) and everything was fine. My husband and I both agreed that we'd definitely take another carnival cruise the future (we're not big on parties or anything but to be honest, we didn't see that much of that on the pride). I've also been on a Celebrity and Royal Caribbean cruise in the past. Both were nice as well. We did have issues on the Royal Caribbean cruise that changed our itinerary, but other that that... I'm not sure what's going on with Carnival right now. I'm willing to take another, but plan to watch and see what happens over the next 6-9 months before booking again...

9. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Technically, Carnival owns Cunard (and a few other lines)...I've been on Queen Mary 2, wonderful, no problems. I'd happily go again and I'm looking at one of their little boats (Queen Elizabeth) and the British Isles cruise (QM2 is built differently than the cruise ships and is designed to feel less crowded and less like an apartment block.) However, that is sort of a different line as far as crews go, and it's a different atmosphere than Carnival proper (I probably wouldn't book on them, but I'm not interested in the Caribbean or the 'party boat' cruises.)

I'd feel a LOT more secure on a Carnival ship than on a Costa ship, though! At least these have been mechanical problems, not pilot error...

10. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Carnival Corporation is not the same thing as Carnival Cruise Lines. Carnival Corp owns a ton of companies, including Carnival cruise lines.

Carnival Corp owns princess, holland America, seaborn, Cunard, Aida, costa, ibero, p&o uk, and p&o Australia, and carnival cruise lines of course.

11. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

I just got back from a cruise on the Carnival Breeze. It was fine (except for the crappy weather the first three days). But that ship is not even a year old.

12. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

13. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I am just a little nervous right now about going on ANY cruise.